Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever for me...

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2011 4:00:44 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this seems repetitive, as i'm sure you have all answered so many of these questions. This is my first build I have done, and I am learning (slowly...) how everything works. I do not know of anyone who has any experience doing this, so here I am!
My end goal is to have a build that can play Battlefield 3 on high settings (not ultra high, but high). I figure that if I have this as a goal, everything else that I could want will be in place as well.
If you could just take a quick glance at my specs so far that I plan on ordering, could anyone just tell me if these parts would do the trick? Could I go for something cheaper in some areas? Also, I believe that everything will work well together, but if there is some problem please let me know! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for any reply's!

Specs:
CPU- Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard- Asus P8P67 (Rev 3.0)
Video- Radeon 5870
Sound- (Running off of motherboard until i get more $$)
Ram- Corsair 4GB
Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
Power- Cooler Master Gx Series 650W
Case- Cooler Master HAF 922

More about : build

March 19, 2011 6:56:36 PM

Doesnt seem to be any prob there mate ;)  That machine would be fine for gaming
m
l
March 19, 2011 11:20:04 PM

good stuff, but chose a different power supply. heres a review of that psu http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master...
the 750w model http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX...
Get a power supply from antec, seasonic, corsair or ocz and you will be much better off. Always find a review of the PSU you are going to buy from a reliable reviewer like johnnyguru, hardwaresecrets, or hardocp. the review should have load, noise, ripple tests at the very least.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 5:22:23 PM

Just a question so dont bite my head off lol. But I get this alot as well "You should really replace that PSU." My question is if your not having PSU related problems why replace something that is working fine? I was having mouse issues and got 3-4 comments saying replace that PSU lol. Just wondering :) 
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:40:39 PM

As far as PSU's go most people do fine with around 500 watts or so on the basic gaming rig. You really just need to make sure you have enough amps on the 12+ rail to support your video card which will most likely be the largest strain power wise that you put in your rig. I know specifically that my old GTX 260 required a minimum of 32 amps on 12+V. You really need to pay attention to this as you will find a ton of PSU that are even in the 1000 volt range that don't have this many amps on the 12+.
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:45:51 PM

Quote:
As far as PSU's go most people do fine with around 500 watts or so on the basic gaming rig. You really just need to make sure you have enough amps on the 12+ rail to support your video card which will most likely be the largest strain power wise that you put in your rig. I know specifically that my old GTX 260 required a minimum of 32 amps on 12+V. You really need to pay attention to this as you will find a ton of PSU that are even in the 1000 volt range that don't have this many amps on the 12+.

So if the amps are low would it damage the GPU? or just effect performance
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:20:57 AM

You may experience low performance, crashes, reboots but the psu could also blow up and produce a voltage spike taking out other components. apart from not producing enough power, a cheap psu will use lower quality components (usually cheap capacitors and wiring and less surge/overload protection) and wont last as long. the power supply you selected isnt horribble, but you could do better for the same price. Cooler master psu's generally produce mixed results, some of their more expensive models are ok, but the lower end is pretty average to poor.
m
l
March 22, 2011 2:46:15 AM

Quote:
You may experience low performance, crashes, reboots but the psu could also blow up and produce a voltage spike taking out other components. apart from not producing enough power, a cheap psu will use lower quality components (usually cheap capacitors and wiring and less surge/overload protection) and wont last as long. the power supply you selected isnt horribble, but you could do better for the same price. Cooler master psu's generally produce mixed results, some of their more expensive models are ok, but the lower end is pretty average to poor.

Would it help that everything is ran through a moster cable clean power outlet? I guess if my stuff gets fryes moster cable has a 1000000waranty and would then pay for all new stuff lol or is that something totaly different and my psu could still fry my stuff?
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:06:17 PM

Quote:
yes, if you want to waste your $$ on products that enhance your gaming experience tremendously

Fixed.
m
l
March 22, 2011 3:59:35 PM

Quote:
So if the amps are low would it damage the GPU? or just effect performance

iam2thecrowe is correct. Your device will not be damaged but you may see a hit in performance along with random reboots and other problems.
m
l
March 22, 2011 4:10:06 PM

Quote:
iam2thecrowe is correct. Your device will not be damaged but you may see a hit in performance along with random reboots and other problems.

guess ill look into a better PSU when I upgrade my mobo/cpu combo next year or if I decide to go with 2 cards
m
l

Best solution

March 22, 2011 8:34:42 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Video Games to section Systems by Mousemonkey
March 29, 2011 2:25:37 AM

Thanks guys! Looking forward to all this! :D 
m
l
April 7, 2011 11:55:57 PM

Best answer selected by SwedishSensation.
m
l
!