Approx. 800€ gaming build

xaffii

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: later this week / next week

Budget Range: approx. 800 euros, since I'm from Europe

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming (WoW, SC2, upcoming games, ...)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any website, since I have to order it from different sites.

Country of Origin: Vienna

Parts Preferences: SSD viable for gaming build? Intel Sandybridge better than AMD ??

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: silent would be nice, but not necessary

Here is a sample parts list that you can use to shop for a good website.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1155
Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M LX H67 socket 1155
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB 1.5volts

DVD: SATA 22x DVD Burner
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB Video Card

PSU: Corsair Builder CX500 500W
Case: Antec Three Hundered

Depending on the cost of parts in your location a SSD might fit into the budget. But it's a luxury and not a requirement. It's probably more important for you to get a strong video card for your 1920x1080 resolution monitor.
Intel Sandy Bridge is a performance leader at the moment. AMD still puts out very good CPUs that cost less.
To get a good price/performance system on your budget you can look at both choices.

xaffii

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
First of all, thank you for your answer and your suggested pc-build! I highly appreciate your help.

Maybe geizhals.eu, if you're familiar with this website. In general it's a site where the lowest pricings are listed from different sellers. But as I've stated, I'll be ordering from different sites AND maybe walking into electronic stores to grab them myself :).

Yeah I thought so, but as far as I'm informed, loading times would be drastically lowered by a SSD. And the space problem isn't much of a concern for me, since I don't play that much games simultaneously and I keep other stuff on my external HDDs, or getting another HDD could be an option too.

CPU: Why not the i5-2400 Sandy Bridge? It doesn't cost that much more, and should be more efficient?
Motherboard: should work, but my question would be: is the mainboard important?
RAM: 4 GB are standard now, is upgrading reasonable?

DVD: yeah, works
HDD: see above
GPU: that's a pretty old graphics card, why not a newer one?

PSU: works
Case: works