Opinions on Vosonic storage drives?

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
February 12, 2005 12:59:27 PM

I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip where
I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson
P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at the
alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html

Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that they'd
like to share?

Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise,
I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.

Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
(especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and extra
adaptor)

cheers,

G;
--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

I took a 20gig Xdrive pro to europe for 5 months and stored over 5000 photos
(8gig) Only $315.00
Wonderfull invention

John

"The Rev Gaston" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip where I
>can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson P2000.
>Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at the
>alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>
> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that they'd
> like to share?
>
> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise, I'd
> appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>
> Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
> (especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and extra
> adaptor)
>
> cheers,
>
> G;
> --
> Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
> http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 12, 2005 12:59:28 PM

The Rev Gaston wrote:
> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip
where
> I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson

> P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at
the
> alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>
> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that
they'd
> like to share?

I bought the Vosonic VP-300 and a used 30GB HDD. Works well with the
built-in CF/SD/MMC/Memory-Card reader. If you want to use it as a MP3
player then you should re-inforce the included Li-Ion battery with a
set of 8-AA NiMH battery bank for continuous 6-8 hours of usage. Check
the included battery, mine's not too great and needs replacement.

With its low price, I think its makes a great portable photo storage
device.

- Siddhartha
Related resources
February 12, 2005 2:59:43 PM

The Rev Gaston <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:375urhF57tqluU1
@individual.net:

> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip where
> I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson
> P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at the
> alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>
> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that they'd
> like to share?
>
> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise,
> I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.

I have bought a Vosonic X's Drive II and a Vosonic X's Drive Pro (VP300), I
was disappointed in both. The idea is brilliant and they work reliably,
but the speed from CF to HDD is pathetic.

I now use the PD7X that I got from powerinnumber, the speed is so much
better.

There are 2 things to consider with the speed of transfer: One is the time
you have to wait for the copy to complete, the other is how many gigs of
data can be copied per battery charge. The Vosonic drives struggle to
transfer more than 2GB before the battery goes flat, the PD7X can transfer
2GB in about 6 minutes and therefore can transfer over 20GB on a set of 4
AA batteries.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

I have a VP3310 with a 5,400rpm 40Gig drive, very good, cost effective
solution, bought mine with two batteries and a car adapter, excellent.

"The Rev Gaston" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip where I
>can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson P2000.
>Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at the
>alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>
> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that they'd
> like to share?
>
> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise, I'd
> appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>
> Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
> (especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and extra
> adaptor)
>
> cheers,
>
> G;
> --
> Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
> http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 12, 2005 4:56:09 PM

On 2005-02-12 12:59:43 +0100, MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot> said:

> The Rev Gaston <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:375urhF57tqluU1
> @individual.net:
>
>> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip where
>> I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson
>> P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at the
>> alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
>> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>>
>> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that they'd
>> like to share?
>>
>> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise,
>> I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>
> I have bought a Vosonic X's Drive II and a Vosonic X's Drive Pro
> (VP300), I was disappointed in both. The idea is brilliant and they
> work reliably, but the speed from CF to HDD is pathetic.
>
> I now use the PD7X that I got from powerinnumber, the speed is so much better.
>
> There are 2 things to consider with the speed of transfer: One is the
> time you have to wait for the copy to complete, the other is how many
> gigs of data can be copied per battery charge. The Vosonic drives
> struggle to transfer more than 2GB before the battery goes flat, the
> PD7X can transfer 2GB in about 6 minutes and therefore can transfer
> over 20GB on a set of 4 AA batteries.

That looks tempting but I read of some problems concerning a voltage
regulator that apparently reduces reliability. Anyone know anything
more about that?

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 12, 2005 5:12:46 PM

The Rev Gaston wrote:
> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip
where
> I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like the Epson

> P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm looking at
the
> alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>
> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that
they'd
> like to share?
>
> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz - likewise,

> I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>
> Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
> (especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and
extra
> adaptor)
>
> cheers,
> Bought a Vosonics ll about 18 mos ago. Installed my own 5gb hard
drive. Very happy with it. Travels well. Price is right I use the
Sony cards, and the unit doubles as my 5 in 1 card reader for my PC as
well. The 4 GB does me fine on trips theoretically holding over 40 to
50 downloads, more than enough for me. Have never even come remotely
near to filling it. (and I initially troubled over if I should get a
10gb!) I generally carry my charging equipment (if you can consider a
small adapter size charger "equipment") with me and I've never dealt
with any battery issues at all. I take picture for me and do not
trouble with attempting to be even a semi-pro. I think like everything
else you can find negative hype on anything. My two cents.....
www.greenmarble.blogspot.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 13, 2005 12:07:47 AM

Pete D wrote:
> I have a VP3310 with a 5,400rpm 40Gig drive, very good, cost
> effective solution, bought mine with two batteries and a car adapter,
> excellent.
>
> "The Rev Gaston" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip
>> where I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like
>> the Epson P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm
>> looking at the alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
>> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>>
>> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that
>> they'd like to share?
>>
>> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz -
>> likewise, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>>
>> Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
>> (especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and
>> extra adaptor)
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> G;
>> --
>> Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
>> http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

I have two of the Xs Drive II (2060) units. I just put a 40GB drive in one,
to replace an older 20GB that it came with. With 2GB CF cards, I can dump a
couple times before the battery goes. My tactic is to carry several CF cards
and if I fill one up during a performance, dump it to the Xs Drive while I
use the other. With a full charge on the battery I usually don't need to
dump more than twice so the limited battery time hasn't been a show stopper.

That said, on the older unit it seems like the battery drops much more
quickly. You can buy replacement batts and it is possible that some of the
reports of extremely limited # transfer is either bad battery or older,
lower efficiency disc drives.

I'm keeping an eye on the portable DVD technology, where you would dump to a
rewritable DVD in the field. Price needs to come down ...

Chip Gallo
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 13, 2005 11:45:37 AM

"Chip Gallo" <cgallo@DeleteThiscitlink.net> wrote in message
news:D euPd.368$6p7.174@news01.roc.ny...
> Pete D wrote:
>> I have a VP3310 with a 5,400rpm 40Gig drive, very good, cost
>> effective solution, bought mine with two batteries and a car adapter,
>> excellent.
>>
>> "The Rev Gaston" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a good solution for storing my photos on a trip
>>> where I can't take a laptop with me. Like everyone else, I'd like
>>> the Epson P2000. Like most other people, I can't afford it, so I'm
>>> looking at the alternatives. One possibility seems to be this:
>>> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp6210.html
>>>
>>> Has anyone any experience with this or other Vosonic units that
>>> they'd like to share?
>>>
>>> Also, I'm thinking of buying it from powerinnumbers in Oz -
>>> likewise, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with them.
>>>
>>> Or do P2000 users really find them so good as to be worth the money
>>> (especially as I'd like to use it with CF, SD AND MS so need and
>>> extra adaptor)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> G;
>>> --
>>> Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
>>> http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG
>
> I have two of the Xs Drive II (2060) units. I just put a 40GB drive in
> one,
> to replace an older 20GB that it came with. With 2GB CF cards, I can dump
> couple times before the battery goes. My tactic is to carry several CF
> cards
> and if I fill one up during a performance, dump it to the Xs Drive while I
> use the other. With a full charge on the battery I usually don't need to
> dump more than twice so the limited battery time hasn't been a show
> stopper.
>
> That said, on the older unit it seems like the battery drops much more
> quickly. You can buy replacement batts and it is possible that some of the
> reports of extremely limited # transfer is either bad battery or older,
> lower efficiency disc drives.
>
> I'm keeping an eye on the portable DVD technology, where you would dump to
> rewritable DVD in the field. Price needs to come down ...
>
> Chip Gallo

Hi Chip, the 3310 will run for 2 hours or it will run off the car adapter
or from the mains powerpack and play MP3's.
!