New 560ti is running dirt slow.

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I just upgraded my video card from an old 8800gt that died on me to a Gigabyte GVNSO-1GI-950. Now my pc is running slow and my graphics performance is terrible. any thoughts on why?

I upgraded to the lastest drivers from nvidia and I am showing no issues in device manager.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Could you give an example. Like " I was getting X FPS in this game now im getting X" And all you did was switch the card. Did you remove all the old drivers as well? Whan you say your PC is running slow is that in games or everything that you do?

PS: This shows that indeed all the Nvidia fanboys who say AMD always has issues that in fact both companys can have issues and both make good products that can be better or worse depending on what you want.

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Well before I was getting 60fps on the deck of the normandy in ME2 with an occasional dip in the 30-40 range I think. What ever it was it was fluid. I am only running like 1280x720 resolution.

Now its completely unplayable with a high of 30fps with dips into single digits.

Dragon age two is unplayable getting 15-30 FPS. What is interesting there is that I changed resolution and texture settings and saw no real notable difference in performance. Furthermore, its not a very intensive game to begin with.

All I did was add the card. I wont say switch because when the 8800 died I ran on integrated graphics for awhile.

I also think that overall system performance has degraded. I ran the windows system assesment tool, and what I found really strange is my graphics score went down to a 2.9 while my gaming graphics score went up to a 7.1. Both essentially moving +-2 points

No I did not uninstall the old drivers from the previous card.

jb6684

Distinguished
Ouch, that CPU might hold you back on reaching the full potential of the new 560Ti.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115005

BUT, even IF the CPU is holding thing back the 560Ti should be at least as fast as the old 8800.

We need to compare apples to apples:
- First thing that come to mind is DX10 (8800 card) vs DX11 (new card). What game are you running? Try to set it to DX9, DX10, and then DX11 and check the FPS with FRAPs at each setting. How does that compare to your old 8800 ?

- Then there are the games detail settings & resolution; are they set the SAME as when you were using the 8800 GT ?

The 560Ti should mop the floor with the 8800, we just need to test with all the settings the same so we can tell if the 560Ti is working properly...

Thanks for the system details, Win7 64 bit version & 4Gb RAM eliminates a few things (you're likely not thrashing due to too little RAM).

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

I know I need to upgrade the CPU and Mobo that is next on the list, I am just holding off till either I see some info on either the i7 x58 replacement, or better (and cheaper) i5 sandy bridge boards. But I shouldn't see a downgrade in performance regardless.

As for the Apples to Apples comparison that is why I used ME2 as a baseline, I never altered the settings from when I had the 8800gt. I just stopped playing. So I am seeing performance drop by at least 50% in that game.

I also set DA2 to DX9 just to see if that had an effect, it didn't.

Furthermore I am convinced I am having slower overall system performance since adding the card, I am going to switch back to my integrated video next to see if my CPU performance returns.

One thing that I am considering is that I do not have the greatest PSU (I.E. it came from craigslist) supposed to be 500w but I highly doubt it. Though the thing there is I was always under the impression that an inadequate PSU would lead to system instability not reduced performance.

jb6684

Distinguished
Your RIGHT: Power supply either works or won't boot and/or causes lots of random system crashes....

Ah, sorry I missed the game details and numbers....my bad... since your are Apples to Apples it's NOT the CPU holding you back since you have less performance.....

Try this test: play a DVD movie in a window smaller than the screen resolution. Now, grab the window and drag is around VERY quickly with the mouse. Does the video look perfect and the window can be moved at blinding speeds?

If NOT, the video drivers for your new card aren't working.....

Try to uninstall them completely. There are a few tutorials out there on how to remove EVERYTHING.

Then reinstall from scratch....

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Haha, No I am not quite that absent minded.

I pulled the card and ran windows system assesment tool again and I saw an increase in Graphics: Aero performance which makes me think the issue might be driver related. Windows device manager will only let you access the drivers for the a device it sees attached. So how am I supposed to uninstall display drivers from the 8800gt?

Also I am now reluctant to put the 560 back in until I pick up a power supply tomorrow, when I pulled the card the last time I pulled out a flashlight to take a peek at the PSU thats in there its only 18amps :eek:

JB6684 will that test work with an AVI or MP4 file?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I would try removing the old drivers they can clash with each other. Also it will only cost you a few mins of time and not more cash to try it again. I had a few hiccups with my AMD card. All I did was take the card out re seat it in the slot, I dont know about Nvidia but AMD comes with software to remove the old drivers so I used that and the installed the drivers and it worked fine. So we have to just remove all the possibilities right. If Nvidia does not have a tool to remove the old drivers just get driver sweeper remove those and re install the card see what happens. There is also a possibility the card is bad a few to end up shipping DOA so if all that does not work just RMA it.

jb6684

Distinguished
What about the drivers for the on-board video? Thought about that late last night...

Here's what I'd do :
- install the new PS
- disconnect your internet connection, don't want Windows reloading what you just removed...
- uninstall the 560 drivers
- reboot
- AFTER reboot, Shutdown (gotta reboot to let uninstall finish up...)
- remove the 560 card from the system
- connect to the on-board video, boot the system
- uninstall the on-board video drivers (Yeah, let's get rid of them too...)
- reboot
- AFTER reboot shutdown
- install the 560, connect monitor to the 560
- boot the system into the BIOS, disable the on-board video in BIOS. Set the Default video to PCI-E (some BIOS have both settings)

- now connect the internet again
- download and install the latest NVidia drivers for your system

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I have no experiance with nividai, but do they not offer a tool with a driver download to remove old vid drivers? I know when I installed my 6950 the first mobo I used it with had on board HD 3200 and when you load up the new drivers you have 2 options. UNINSTALL AND INSTALL. So I just clicked uninstall. It does the uninstall promps to restart I tell it no and then do the install and then restart when thats done and no more old drivers. Is there nothing like that for Nvidia drivers?

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Here is where I am now.

I just picked up a single rail 12v/40a Antec HCG power supply. I installed this and suprisingly there was a small bump in performance, and windows system assesment tool now shows 7.3 for graphics and gaming graphics, where as last night those scores were 2.9 and 7.1. But for the most part the system is still running poorly with the video card installed.

I am positive it is a driver or a card issue as I have hang-ups and slow regular system performance (chrome/flash) with the drivers installed and normal performance when the drivers are uninstalled.

Disconnected from internet.
I just went to device manager display adapter uninstall drivers. reboot
Then I went to remove programs and removed. Nvidia graphics driver. reboot
then I used the driver sweeper tool and rebooted.

The anoying thing is that, every time i would reboot the windows installer would install a 560 ti driver even though I had the internet connection disabled.

Now I am currently installing the card drivers from disc (not the latest drivers I d/l from nvidia)

If this doesnt work I am going to try the method above deleting drivers for the 560 then the intel board, then going to the bios.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

If you reboot without installing drivers windows will use what ever it can find (generic) So uninstall the driver and reinstall the new one then restart. No need to restart that manny times :)

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Well, I dunno what to do now.

I completed all of the steps above to remove old drivers and still no dice. New PSU wasnt the problem.

I dont understand how the video card could cause the CPU to slow down. I wish I had another vid card handy to test with.

As of now I think the most logical conclusion is I have a bad card, though I dont understand how its causeing these problems.

jb6684

Distinguished
Let's try a test that focuses on GPU performance Only:

I would download FurMark v1.8.2. Run the "Benchmarking" test. Full Screen mode. Set the Standard Size to 800x600 (I believe you said you ran games at 1280x720).

If I run a single GTX 460 I Average :

86 FPS @ standard size of 1280 x 1024
165 FPS @ standard size of 800 x 600

With a 560 Ti you should meet or beat these numbers. The load on the CPU is pretty darn low, so, it shouldn't hold you back.

Second: If you DO meet or beat these numbers. GPU Card is working. Source of the problem, the CPU you have is slowing you down in games.

FIX:
- you may find you get smoother performance in games by shifting the work to the GPU
- set your resolution in games to the Max your monitor supports
- turn on VSync in the game
- increase the eye candy to Max (Max AA, max everything....)

These things will make your GPU work harder. SOOOOO, it won't be "bothering" your CPU as often. At low settings the GPU will be asking the CPU for more to do Much more often, if you CPU is kinda slow this may make things pretty choppy. This setup may give you a smoother game play.

sofakingwetatdid

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
So, I stopped by J&R and picked up another 560 ti and that was not the problem. I am so frustrated at this point.

This time I got the 900Mhz superclock from EVGA. I am having essentially the same issues. Even more weird there is a program called EVGA OC scanner and after I run a game it shows the gpu clock going from 900 mhz to 405 mhz. They also provide a program called EVGA precision and which shows GPU usage in a game and that program says that I never get above 25% gpu usage.

So that makes me believe there is a driver, mobo or processor issue. I am stumped.

jb6684

Distinguished
I was fairly certain it was NOT the GPU...... you confirmed it

BTW, do NOT worry about the 405Mhz, the GPU does that automatically when not under load to save power and reduce heat....

Please read my last post and try this part a least :

I would download FurMark v1.8.2. Run the "Benchmarking" test. Full Screen mode. Set the Standard Size to 800x600 (I believe you said you ran games at 1280x720).

If I run a single GTX 460 I Average :

86 FPS @ standard size of 1280 x 1024
165 FPS @ standard size of 800 x 600

With a 560 Ti you should meet or beat these numbers. The load on the CPU is pretty darn low, so, it shouldn't hold you back.

There is no more over used and hated term for me than "bottleneck" but your CPU may be just too slow..... read my FULL post and give it a try....then let us know the results....