Sign in with
Your question

Very cheap build $300 or so budget

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2011 11:38:18 PM
March 23, 2011 12:23:21 AM
March 23, 2011 2:02:52 AM

well, I'm building it for my nephew.. I don't want to overdo it though since I've already spent money on a game system for him.. So 2 gigs will hopefully be okay, could upgrade it later.. So far though.. I'm thinking of ways that would lower the total cost. Here's the ideas i'm thinking of:

a) finding a better combo deal on newegg.. not sure if they offer anything better than video cards + mobos, and if theres better combo deals for other mobos.

b) buying a used video card

Could end up cutting the total cost to like $230ish or so.

So any ideas on a cheaper but still good mobo.. and also where to find discounts for a video card.. (on another site or with a combo deal).
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 3:13:33 AM

4 GB is only $40, so for $17 more bucks you get the 4 GB.
Also about $10 more gets you the X3 435. It'll run most programs much better
The Antec 380W is on sale for $39.99 this month.
ASRock has an 880 that is $59.99
The 4650 is old and slow nowadays. Consider a HD5670 for $70 (just $5 more)
I didn't see a case. The Rosewill R-102 is small, but works fine, and its $30.
m
l
March 23, 2011 10:51:24 AM

If this build isn't for gaming the onboard video should do just fine.
m
l
March 23, 2011 11:35:05 AM

well already have a case. Don't ask me why, but I did have a mobo and power supply, ram and cpu.. in it but the case got knocked down repeatedly, and looks like mobo and psu broke. But I'm thinking the case has to be fine since the frame is okay and the power and led stuff is just wires and shouldn't break easily.

I'm building this for my nephew, he wanted me to build a computer as fast as mine, but preferably faster. my specs are:
intel e2160
2gb of ram
geforce 8600gt
antec 430 watt power supply
gigabyte ds3lr mobo.

I don't want to break the bank tho. He mostly just plays Unreal Tournament and web browses. But I'd like the ability for him to play more games like call of duty world at war, or some other good shooting games. Probably would want to play Call of Duty black ops but as long as it can run games that are 2-3 years old, it shouldn't be too bad. Is a radeon 4650 or 4670 good enough for that type of gaming? I saw this youtube benchmark of the card playing Mass Effect and Far Cry 2 with good results, so why is it considered slow?? I'll look into the hd5670.

I would go with the biostar mobo since it's only $ more and i think it's a more reputable company than asrock. I can see getting the better cpu, although it takes more wattage ;\

Heres Questions I'm still struggling with:
1. Is a radeon 4650 better than a geforce 8600 gt, and if not, what would be better? a hd5670?? would that be the next cheap one to consider? Like I said before, going cheap on the video card seems like the easiest way to cut costs
2. Going to look into neweggs power calculator to figure this out.. but is 430 watts good enough. I mean is it worth it consider 500 watts or is the difference meaningless. Only reason it seems to get more watts is incase you get one of the real expensive video cards, which I doubt I would ever do. Just worried that in the future would have to buy a new psu for that pc only because I didn't get 500 watts instead of 430.
3. What other mobos could I consider that are in the $40-$70 range. Or which mobo companies should I look into more. Biostar seems good. Any advice on which ones are the most stable or problem free in the price range??
4. I was looking into the combo deals on newegg some more.. most are useless.. I was hoping to find some cpu + mobo combo, but found nothing except the ones where total cost is like $200. So looks like only can find good combo deals for mobos + video cards. Anyways, any tips on finding more discounts would be helpful. I'm going to check hardforum and slickdealz for that.
m
l
March 23, 2011 11:44:45 AM

supremeone77 said:
well already have a case. Don't ask me why, but I did have a mobo and power supply, ram and cpu.. in it but the case got knocked down repeatedly, and looks like mobo and psu broke. But I'm thinking the case has to be fine since the frame is okay and the power and led stuff is just wires and shouldn't break easily.

I'm building this for my nephew, he wanted me to build a computer as fast as mine, but preferably faster. my specs are:
intel e2160
2gb of ram
geforce 8600gt
antec 430 watt power supply
gigabyte ds3lr mobo.

I don't want to break the bank tho. He mostly just plays Unreal Tournament and web browses. But I'd like the ability for him to play more games like call of duty world at war, or some other good shooting games. Probably would want to play Call of Duty black ops but as long as it can run games that are 2-3 years old, it shouldn't be too bad. Is a radeon 4650 or 4670 good enough for that type of gaming? I saw this youtube benchmark of the card playing Mass Effect and Far Cry 2 with good results, so why is it considered slow?? I'll look into the hd5670.

I would go with the biostar mobo since it's only $ more and i think it's a more reputable company than asrock. I can see getting the better cpu, although it takes more wattage ;\

Heres Questions I'm still struggling with:
1. Is a radeon 4650 better than a geforce 8600 gt, and if not, what would be better? a hd5670?? would that be the next cheap one to consider? Like I said before, going cheap on the video card seems like the easiest way to cut costs
2. Going to look into neweggs power calculator to figure this out.. but is 430 watts good enough. I mean is it worth it consider 500 watts or is the difference meaningless. Only reason it seems to get more watts is incase you get one of the real expensive video cards, which I doubt I would ever do. Just worried that in the future would have to buy a new psu for that pc only because I didn't get 500 watts instead of 430.
3. What other mobos could I consider that are in the $40-$70 range. Or which mobo companies should I look into more. Biostar seems good. Any advice on which ones are the most stable or problem free in the price range??
4. I was looking into the combo deals on newegg some more.. most are useless.. I was hoping to find some cpu + mobo combo, but found nothing except the ones where total cost is like $200. So looks like only can find good combo deals for mobos + video cards. Anyways, any tips on finding more discounts would be helpful. I'm going to check hardforum and slickdealz for that.

Asrock is the more reputable brand.
1.Yes it is a better card, and it will be enough to play those older games.
2.The antec 380w will be plenty for the sytem.
3. The Asrock 770 is great if you are getting a dedicated gpu(does not have onboard.)
4. The combos don't last very long so you just have to keep on checking.
m
l
March 23, 2011 1:19:12 PM

I like this card. radeon 4670. A little more money than I'd want to spend, but it seems like a beefed up version of the 4650/4670. This one also looked good radeon 5550 Btw is it cheaper to go with ATI vs. nvidia?

Actually I gave it some thought and was thinking how on newegg, there is a lot more listed nvidia cards than ati ones. And a lot of people bought 8800 gt's etc, so should be easy to find something on ebay. I found a good deal for a used GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 card for under $60. Could I do that? I really need to find some benchmarks between nvidia and ati though. Only thing I have is this chart that's helping me some. Btw based on comments on this thread, the gt 240 seems like a worthy buy, very close in performance to the real good mid range cards like 9600 gt and 9800 gt.

hmm power supply thing i gotta look into a bit more, that's one area I could cut costs. Maybe also with choosing an Asrock mobo.
m
l
March 24, 2011 4:49:22 PM

ya looks pretty good. Just wish it was a radeon 4670, but do the clock speeds make up for that? Seems like it's a real powerful version of a radeon 4650. How long does a deal like this last???? I did a comparison on hwcompare.com to the 8600 gt and it said since memory bandwidth is around the same, they both should perform the same, although the radeon 4650 can increase resolution or AA more easily. Even if thats true, it's still not that bad.
m
l
March 24, 2011 4:55:36 PM

supremeone77 said:
ya looks pretty good. Just wish it was a radeon 4670, but do the clock speeds make up for that? Seems like it's a real powerful version of a radeon 4650. How long does a deal like this last???? I did a comparison on hwcompare.com to the 8600 gt and it said since memory bandwidth is around the same, they both should perform the same, although the radeon 4650 can increase resolution or AA more easily. Even if thats true, it's still not that bad.

The 4850 will destroy a 4650/70 with ease.
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:05:27 PM

ohhh I just assumed that was a 4650, not a 4850. Lol. I don't remember hearing about a 4850, just thought it went from 4670 to 5570 etc. Man maybe I'll get that. Is it a gamble messing with rebates? Or is it mostly guaranteed, especially with a good company like xfx?

Looks like that card uses a lot of power. Hmmmm, ya i gotta start messing with a power supply calculator, see if 430 watts is good or i should get a 500 watt one. Do you know of any good 500 watt power supplies? Coolermaster and thermaltake seem like good companies to buy psu's from.
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:26:03 PM

The power supply that you have picked out will be good. The newegg psu calculator is not very accurate. The 430w model that you picked out is a very high quality unit with a nice 80+ bronze rating.
m
l
March 24, 2011 6:09:20 PM

but when do you need 500 watts or more? When you get one of those huge graphics cards or SLI 2? Or when you have a quad core and at least a 100 watt video card? And also running at least 2 or 3 harddrives? Trying to figure out how long the 430 watt psu would last. Probably 1-2 years at least.
m
l
!