I have a few questions, and they will probably seem stupid, or like common sense to most of you, but I need help after searching the internet for hours looking for answers, so please bare with me.
First, how can I find out if I can upgrade the CPU in my laptop?
Second, if I can what would be the best one to upgrade to in order to play MMORPG's like Rift better?
Third, am I even on the right track, or would I get more out of upgrading something else in order to play games with higher performance and better graphics?
Thank you in advance for any help offered, and especially for just baring with me.
Model: Satellite a215-s4757
Type: x64-based PC
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56, 1800Mhz, 2 core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Installed Physical Memory: 3.00GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.39 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 5.74 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 3.59 GB
Brand: ATI Technologies Inc.
Model: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
Adapter DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Adapter RAM: 128 MB
Driver Date: 02/10/2010 00:00:00
Driver Version: 8.593.100.0
Video Memory Type: 2
Video Mode Description: 1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
Video Processor: ATI Radeon X1200 Series (0x791F)
Even if you could upgrade (I think you can) you are better off getting a new laptop. Games require a good GPU and CPU, which this has neither of. The CPU would make some of a difference, but the cost to upgrade is expensive and you probably wouldn't see a difference.
You can NOT upgrade your laptop.
1) you will NOT find a laptop CPU or Graphics card for sale at a decent price from a decent dealer.
2) your laptop's power supply, motherboard and cooler are designed to work with the CPU you have and the CPU you have ONLY.
3) your laptop's power supply, motherboard, cooler and size are designed to work with the Graphics card you have and the Graphics card you have ONLY.
4) taking apart a laptop, putting in new parts and putting it back requires building experience and a good deal of intelligence and determination, apparently you don't have all of them.
5) upgrading your CPU won't help the games because of the shitty GPU, upgrading your GPU won't either coz of ur shitty CPU, upgrading both and power supply would cost more than building a new PC.
@jblack you are wasting his time. He looks at the notebook graphics cards, likes one of them. NOW WHAT.
Never try to upgrade a laptop. It is too expensive.
I was researching this on my own one time. If I were to upgrade my laptop CPU from a i7 1.6 GHz to a i7 1.73 GHz, it would cost me 350+ American dollars. Worth it? Hell no. That money can be invested for a future laptop or a new desktop which I desperately need.
And upgrading your GPU might require some soldering skills. A GPU for a laptop is expensive too. If you were to upgrade both you are probably looking at least 300 dollars. Not many websites even sell notebook GPUs, so you will have to use eBay probably.
Plus, every laptop is build different. One person on these forums once said, taking a laptop apart is easy, but to put it together to work 100 percent is very difficult.
Working with a laptop requires more skill in my opinion, due to the tight spaces etc.