Acer M1610 Upgraded Low FPS

Hey all, I've been trying to upgrade my PC to a level where I get a decent FPS in games, specifically World of Warcraft Cataclysm. Before upgrading I was running around 10-20ps, now it's around 15-25, but I spent a lot of money on these upgrades and I expected a lot more. Is something wrong, or is this how it's meant to be?

This is my system:
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1610/AspireM1610sp2.shtml
Processor: E2140 - 1.6 gigahertz Intel Core Duo
RAM: 4GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300

I previously had the ATI Radeon HD 4550, and upgraded it to the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6790 1GB, which should be a massive upgrade I thought. I also installed a new power supply to accommodate it: Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 80 PLUS

I'm wondering if I did something massively wrong when installing this, because I expected a lot more :(
I realize the processor is rather slow but I didn't think it would hold me back this much, or am I wrong?
5 answers Last reply
More about acer m1610 upgraded
  1. Also, I ran these benchmarks from 3dmark at the advice of a friend and got these results:
    http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3266663;jsessionid=j66ozgwc70nk?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dmv%2F3266663%3Fkey%3Dr7qz6aQ53kwZLt0DHChpKSBnrR275f

I'm not too sure on what everything means, but it tells me the graphics card is not recognized (could be because it's so new, 2 months in production?), and that I should update my processor.

However, the list of choices it gives I'm 99% sure they aren't compatible with the motherboard after doing some research, as it only supports up to a 800 MHz FSB, and I think the system chipset only allows for 65 nm Process Technology?
  2. It is a CPU bottleneck, I recommend, you could get the first series of Core2Duo, to eliminate the bottleneck, preferable one of around 2.6-3.0 Ghz,(If they make those, I think they do) and if not, overclock your CPU.
  3. yummerzzz said:
    It is a CPU bottleneck, I recommend, you could get the first series of Core2Duo, to eliminate the bottleneck, preferable one of around 2.6-3.0 Ghz,(If they make those, I think they do) and if not, overclock your CPU.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have checked into the Core2Duo 4xxx series, as this is the only one I find that would work with this motherboard (correct me if I'm wrong, as these are no longer manufactured, out of date and rather expensive for their speeds). Is there a specific model you'd recommend? As there are still only around 2.2-2.4Ghz, not much of an upgrade and I wonder if it would help much.

I also looked into overclocking the current processor as I read that the E2140 was a great processor to overclock, but as it is on the stock board from the Acer Aspire M1610 this doesn't appear to be possible? Again correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. I would stop spending money on this machine and start thinking about replacing it, one of the biggest issues I see is that the chipset is a SIS 672 + 968, designed for inexpensive mass produced systems and not for performance.
  5. das_stig said:
    I would stop spending money on this machine and start thinking about replacing it, one of the biggest issues I see is that the chipset is a SIS 672 + 968, designed for inexpensive mass produced systems and not for performance.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I gathered this might be case. I wasn't really able to find any recently processors that that would even work on the board. I was mainly curious I guess if it was the board and CPU holding back my GPU performance, and if I were to change these, my GPU would perform better. My worry is that I bought a bad card, as it didn't seem to do much in terms of gaming performance.

By replacing the system, I could just buy a new motherboard + CPU that fit my existing parts, right? Or does this right require me to buy a whole new PC? Not very experienced when it comes to building PCs. Would that fix my issues of low FPS? If so, is there any combo of board + CPU I should be looking for, or that you would recommend?
Ask a new question

Read More

Components