Sign in with
Your question

Acer M1610 Upgraded Low FPS

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2011 9:29:15 PM

Hey all, I've been trying to upgrade my PC to a level where I get a decent FPS in games, specifically World of Warcraft Cataclysm. Before upgrading I was running around 10-20ps, now it's around 15-25, but I spent a lot of money on these upgrades and I expected a lot more. Is something wrong, or is this how it's meant to be?

This is my system:
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/Asp...
Processor: E2140 - 1.6 gigahertz Intel Core Duo
RAM: 4GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300

I previously had the ATI Radeon HD 4550, and upgraded it to the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6790 1GB, which should be a massive upgrade I thought. I also installed a new power supply to accommodate it: Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 80 PLUS

I'm wondering if I did something massively wrong when installing this, because I expected a lot more :( 
I realize the processor is rather slow but I didn't think it would hold me back this much, or am I wrong?
June 22, 2011 9:49:56 PM

Also, I ran these benchmarks from 3dmark at the advice of a friend and got these results:
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3266663;jsessionid=j66ozgwc70nk?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dmv%2F3266663%3Fkey%3Dr7qz6aQ53kwZLt0DHChpKSBnrR275f

I'm not too sure on what everything means, but it tells me the graphics card is not recognized (could be because it's so new, 2 months in production?), and that I should update my processor.

However, the list of choices it gives I'm 99% sure they aren't compatible with the motherboard after doing some research, as it only supports up to a 800 MHz FSB, and I think the system chipset only allows for 65 nm Process Technology?
June 22, 2011 10:11:17 PM

It is a CPU bottleneck, I recommend, you could get the first series of Core2Duo, to eliminate the bottleneck, preferable one of around 2.6-3.0 Ghz,(If they make those, I think they do) and if not, overclock your CPU.
Related resources
June 22, 2011 10:19:26 PM

yummerzzz said:
It is a CPU bottleneck, I recommend, you could get the first series of Core2Duo, to eliminate the bottleneck, preferable one of around 2.6-3.0 Ghz,(If they make those, I think they do) and if not, overclock your CPU.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have checked into the Core2Duo 4xxx series, as this is the only one I find that would work with this motherboard (correct me if I'm wrong, as these are no longer manufactured, out of date and rather expensive for their speeds). Is there a specific model you'd recommend? As there are still only around 2.2-2.4Ghz, not much of an upgrade and I wonder if it would help much.

I also looked into overclocking the current processor as I read that the E2140 was a great processor to overclock, but as it is on the stock board from the Acer Aspire M1610 this doesn't appear to be possible? Again correct me if I'm wrong.
June 23, 2011 6:02:07 PM

I would stop spending money on this machine and start thinking about replacing it, one of the biggest issues I see is that the chipset is a SIS 672 + 968, designed for inexpensive mass produced systems and not for performance.
June 23, 2011 7:07:00 PM

das_stig said:
I would stop spending money on this machine and start thinking about replacing it, one of the biggest issues I see is that the chipset is a SIS 672 + 968, designed for inexpensive mass produced systems and not for performance.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I gathered this might be case. I wasn't really able to find any recently processors that that would even work on the board. I was mainly curious I guess if it was the board and CPU holding back my GPU performance, and if I were to change these, my GPU would perform better. My worry is that I bought a bad card, as it didn't seem to do much in terms of gaming performance.

By replacing the system, I could just buy a new motherboard + CPU that fit my existing parts, right? Or does this right require me to buy a whole new PC? Not very experienced when it comes to building PCs. Would that fix my issues of low FPS? If so, is there any combo of board + CPU I should be looking for, or that you would recommend?
!