Sign in with
Your question

Difference in EPS 4+4 pin CPU and p4?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2011 9:35:17 PM

I got a Corsair TX850 to replace my current PSU. I have an i7-920 with an HP mobo.
Here is the mobo...its crap I know. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Anyway the manual says do not use the 4+4 pin in place of a p4 connection. I dont want to fry my CPU so I want to make sure what I have before I plug the cpu power in.

Is it safe to use this power supply for this mobo and cpu? I dont know if I have p4 or not.

More about : difference eps pin cpu

a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
a c 159 à CPUs
June 22, 2011 9:40:07 PM

Your corsair should have both the 4 pin and 8 pin, or have the 8 pin that breaks into two sections. The 4 pin only fits one way.
m
l
June 22, 2011 9:42:11 PM

It is an 8 pin that breaks into two sections but thats not what I am asking. The manual says not to use this power suply if I have a P4 CPU Conection. I dont know what that means.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
a c 159 à CPUs
June 22, 2011 9:51:30 PM

It means you only use half the 8 pin connection; that's why it breaks into two sections, for older boards that only have the 4 pin 12v connection. If you don't believe me, then I would write corsair and wait for a response. They should reply within a day. I'm surprised they don't have a separate 4 pin connection like my silverstone.
m
l
June 22, 2011 11:15:27 PM

o1die is right, the EPS connector on your Corsair is just the P4 connector doubled. If you break it into two, and one fits into the P4 connector on the motherboard, then you are all good. The ppl who come up with these standards make sure you can't connect it wrong.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
June 24, 2011 9:44:22 AM

o1die said:
It means you only use half the 8 pin connection; that's why it breaks into two sections, for older boards that only have the 4 pin 12v connection. If you don't believe me, then I would write corsair and wait for a response. They should reply within a day. I'm surprised they don't have a separate 4 pin connection like my silverstone.

Every Corsair PSU that I have seen uses the "4+4" connector, unlike my two Antecs that have both 4 and 8 pin cables.
m
l
!