Sign in with
Your question

Installing Gaming rig in a mini-pc?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2011 9:38:00 PM

Hello!

I'm stuck here with a gigantic case which I'd now rather switch for a smaller one. I participate in a lot of LAN events and I therefor would like a rig with the ability to maintain low temps and include larger parts.

To start off, I've got no idea what ATX, ITX and theese abreviations actually means, so you tell me what to look for :) 

Theese parts HAS to be installed in the case:
Asus P7P55D-e PRO
Sparkle GeForce GTX460
Intel i5 760
2x2GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Another DVD player

And I also have a few parts which not is of greater importance, and therefor not must be installed.
An external NIC
Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler

The price is not relevant. The price may not be compromised by less cooling neither.
June 22, 2011 9:49:38 PM

Maybe I forgot to state what I was looking for "/

I'm in need of advice for which case I'm to pick. I also have a PSU which I'd like to be installed and I therefor don't need a PSU pre-installed in the case.

www.inet.se (swedish computer site) would be preferred, although it's in swedish.
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2011 9:52:21 PM

ATX is a motherboard size. ITX is the smallest, then mATX, then ATX, and I forget what the extra large version is.

Anyway you have an ATX motherboard so can't get a super tiny case. What case do you have now?

You might be able to use a mini ATX case like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Otherwise you might want a smallish mid tower case like the Antec 300 or Illusion.
Related resources
June 22, 2011 10:12:06 PM

Thanks for you reply. Yes I believe the P7P55D-e is a regular ATX mobo.
Just to get the thing clear, an ATX mobo only fits in ATX cases, or is there a way to squeeze them into mATX cases?

The case does not necessarily have to be a tower, it may be a one lying down and may be in any shape available.

I have a Cooler Master 932 HAF. The cooling is superior, yet the size makes it quite tough to bring to LAN events.
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2011 10:31:17 PM

You need an ATX case, but that first one I linked is called a "mini ATX" so it will fit a regular sized ATX board. MicroATX cases and ITX cases are much too small to fit your motherboard. The main difference between motherboard sizes is the amount of expansion (PCIe) slots, so you can imagine an mATX or ITX case literally cuts off the bottom portion.
June 22, 2011 10:35:40 PM

Will a smaller case maintain the same low temperatures then? Sure, it might not fit my current huge CPU-cooler, but the airflow better be enough no matter what it costs. And also, will theese tiny cases allow a GTX460 to be installed?
June 22, 2011 10:50:11 PM

A smaller case does not necessarily mean bad air flow, hence high temps, might mean everything more cramped so accumulative heat may be an issue. I've never used a mini-ATX case, but I assure that the Antec 300 will fit all your parts and more, and keep the same temps.
!