Want to change my Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 graphics card

kklotz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hi I've recently got a new computer, but the current graphics card in it cannot run a lot of the games I want to play.

I don't really know anything about stuff like this so I really would appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what would be best for me to get. All I know is that I need a better graphics card and a new PSU.

Here is the info:

Approximate Purchase Date: hopefully this week, next week latest

Budget Range: up to $300 (including the new PSU) (preferably after tax)

What Kinds of Games I'd like to Play on it: Black Ops, Assassins Creed 2 Brother hood, Dead Rising 2, Fallout New Vegas, WoW Cataclysm

Current GPU: Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430

Current PSU: 250W

Model of CPU: Compaq Presario Cq5521f

Motherboard: (sorry I don't know what any of this means but this is what showed up in the CPU-Z program that tells u your specs. this was everything that showed up under the motherboard tab)

Pegatron corporation Narra5 5.00 LPCIO Fintek F8000
Brand is Phoenix Techolhies LTD version 5.58

Memory: (sorry again, I don't know what this means, but this is what showed up under the memory tab in the CPU-Z program)

Type DDR2
size 3072 Mbytes
Channels # Dual
DC Mode Unganged
2009mhz Frequency for NB Frenquency
DRAM Frequency 401.8mhz
FSB dram 1:2
CAS latency 6.0 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay 6clocks
RAS precharge 6 clocks
cycle time 18 clocks
bank cycle time 24 clocks
command rate 2T

Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Overclocking: Sorry, I don't know what this means

Sorry if some of that was confusing. I tried my best to put everything, hopefully it was helpful. Thank you for your time and help!

Solution

At anything over medium or so settings, yes. Although you did not list what CPU you have, the one listed on the web site for your model is not very good for gaming. It will match the 4650 card OK, but don't expect high framerates at over med settings. Just don't get the 4350 card.

If you are plainning for future games like you posted, go up a few levels for the card, to a Radeon 5670 or nvidia GTS 450 to stay in budget, get the new power supply, and check your performance. If you don't like it, you will have some cash for a new CPU.
Your CPU will hold things back a bit, but a good upgrade would be a Radeon 4650 (cheap, lower power, will run well at your resolution). It may even run with your current power supply. If not, first make sure your power supply is the standard from factor, and something like this will work well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

The 500 watter will give you enough power for any future CPU/video card upgrades, and not be too pricy or power hungry.

At anything over medium or so settings, yes. Although you did not list what CPU you have, the one listed on the web site for your model is not very good for gaming. It will match the 4650 card OK, but don't expect high framerates at over med settings. Just don't get the 4350 card.

If you are plainning for future games like you posted, go up a few levels for the card, to a Radeon 5670 or nvidia GTS 450 to stay in budget, get the new power supply, and check your performance. If you don't like it, you will have some cash for a new CPU.

Solution

kklotz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for all of the help and I dont mind low settings Ive been gaming like that for ages.

but when I look up the Nvidia GTS 450 on Newegg(http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nvidia+GTS+450&x=9&y=32)

What exactly is it Im looking for to order there? What are all these different brand names on the left? Is there a better brand to buy from? And what am I looking for in Core clocking & Shader Clock?

I'm thinking of getting the GTS 450 and the PSU you posted a link to above just not sure which would be the best one to get.

This one looks OK, since these are all 2 slot cards, make sure you have enough room around your PCIe slot to fit these things.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127527&cm_re=nvidia_GTS_450-_-14-127-527-_-Product

A Radeon 5670 will be much cheaper and offer pretty close performance, and only needs 1 slot in the case

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467&cm_re=5670-_-14-150-467-_-Product

The faster the speeds on the core and shader the better, although the differences will be impossible to see between the 2 models without a benchmarking tool.

kklotz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I saw someone say they can't fit more RAM with that card because it blocks the PCIe slot. Is that all I have to worry about? cause I wasn't planning on upgrading the RAM anyway so thats no big deal.

Anyways thanks again for all the help.

Each case will be different, your layout may have other issues with a big card (even length). Open the case and eyball or measure the space you have for the card.