Opinion needed on how i should upgrade my RAM

zombiestatus11

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello,
I have the Asus P7P55D-E PRO mainboard with the i7 870 processor and an Nvidia GTX 470 graphic card. My RAM is only 4 gigs (2 sticks of 2 gigs ddr3-1333) Im playing a few games, mainly SWTOR and in places with lots of traffic (like ilum if you are familiar with the game) my framerate drops into single digits so i figure that is the part of my system that needs upgrading to fix this problem. I was wonder what would be the best way to go thats moderately priced? Also is does my mainboard support triple channel? Should i go with something like 3 sticks of 4gigs or better of with 4 sticks of 3 gigs. Please let me know. Thank you!
Ed

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Fire up Task Manager while you're playing, wait for your framerates to bottom out and check memory usage in Task Manager. If it's not maxed out, you're not going to get any benefit from more memory.

I'd wager that memory is not your problem, but the video card struggling with rendering tons of objects at once. Even nice cards like yours can get bogged down in situations like that.

I'd recommend overclocking your GPU to try to boost your framerate.