Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

KB question : HP zv5000 series : Spilled rum

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 14, 2005 10:15:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I could,
then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on it
in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a couple of
drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the sticking
is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that they are
returning up slowly.

Is there a way to clean this?

Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
unusable?

Thanks in advance!
April 14, 2005 10:15:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I've heard of flushing out the keyboard with distilled water to wash out
whatever was dropped on it. Just make sure its completely dry when its
reassembled, and you should be good to go.
"Richard" <not@an.eml> wrote in message
news:Wqy7e.870$q3.40274@news7.onvoy.net...
>I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
>taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
> I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I
> could, then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
> I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on
> it in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a
> couple of drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
> I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
> fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
> TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the
> sticking is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that
> they are returning up slowly.
>
> Is there a way to clean this?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
> unusable?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 10:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Dan wrote:
>
> I've heard of flushing out the keyboard with distilled water to wash out
> whatever was dropped on it. Just make sure its completely dry when its
> reassembled, and you should be good to go.

Simply drying the keyboard probably won't work.

The sugars in rum need to be dissolved with liquid. Otherwise, you'll
be left with nothing but a sticky mess.

As Dan suggested, distilled water's probably your best bet.

Good Luck!

Notan
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 10:15:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Notan wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>>I've heard of flushing out the keyboard with distilled water to wash out
>>whatever was dropped on it. Just make sure its completely dry when its
>>reassembled, and you should be good to go.
>
>
> Simply drying the keyboard probably won't work.
>
> The sugars in rum need to be dissolved with liquid. Otherwise, you'll
> be left with nothing but a sticky mess.
>
> As Dan suggested, distilled water's probably your best bet.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Notan
to make sure the sugar dissolves, use hot water. It also helps speed up
drying.
April 14, 2005 11:51:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Richard" <not@an.eml> wrote in message
news:Wqy7e.870$q3.40274@news7.onvoy.net...
>I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
>taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
> I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I
> could, then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
> I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on
> it in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a
> couple of drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
> I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
> fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
> TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the
> sticking is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that
> they are returning up slowly.
>
> Is there a way to clean this?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
> unusable?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>
Its the sugar in the rum that is causing the problem. remove the keyboard
and rinse with water. Blow out the excess and allow to dry thoroughly before
reinstalling.

Terry
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2005 1:50:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Richard" <not@an.eml> wrote in message
news:Wqy7e.870$q3.40274@news7.onvoy.net...
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:15:18 GMT

I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend
(hadn't even taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse). I immediately
disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I could, then
disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet). I pulled the
keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on it in
the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a
couple of drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up. I waited 24
hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work fine.
But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the
sticking is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see
that they are returning up slowly. Is there a way to clean this?
Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one
becomes unusable? Thanks in advance!

Everybody so far recommends water. I've been doing this for about 30
years and I don't trust water in any form for this task. As water could
be trapped in the switches for many months. I'd recommend Isopropyl
alcohol. You can purchase it at almost any drug store. You might get by
with Rubbing alcohol, but it has other additives like lubricants.
Although probably not enough to harm anything. Years ago, liquid Freon
was the best for electronic cleaning. Although since the CFC ban, you
can't get it anymore.


Cheers!


___________________________________________
Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2005 7:23:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Your chances of success are very, very slim (but not zero).

Flush it with water. You might even want to immerse it for an hour or
two, rinse, immerse again, then rinse a LOT. As to the water, the
cleaner the better. Distilled is best, but you might need gallons of
it. I really doubt that the difference between tap water and distilled
water is going to change the outcome.

The drying time will be LONG (days at least, could be weeks).

Chances of success are very slim


Richard wrote:
> I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
> taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
> I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I could,
> then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
> I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on it
> in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a couple of
> drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
> I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
> fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
> TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the sticking
> is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that they are
> returning up slowly.
>
> Is there a way to clean this?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
> unusable?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>
April 15, 2005 5:40:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Richard" <not@an.eml> wrote in message
news:Wqy7e.870$q3.40274@news7.onvoy.net...
>I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
>taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
> I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I
> could, then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
> I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on
> it in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a
> couple of drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
> I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
> fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
> TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the
> sticking is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that
> they are returning up slowly.
>
> Is there a way to clean this?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
> unusable?
>
> Thanks in advance!
Thanks for all the answers!
I am hesitant to use water. It looks like there are a lot of tiny places
where it could get trapped. But I imagine it is no worse than the rum that
is in there.
Does anyone think that an isopropyl alcohol might work to remove the
contacts? It looks like all of the parts are esentially 'taped' in place.
Could they come loose?
If I stop somewhere to get some electronics cleaner, would that be
esentially the same as alcohol?
Searching around online, it seems a replacement keyboard could run between
$100-$150.
I suppose I'll call HP first and see if the warranty covers it. I hate
calling customer support, though. The connection is always bad, and I can't
understand a word they say any better than they seem to understand me.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2005 5:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Richard wrote:

> "Richard" <not@an.eml> wrote in message
> news:Wqy7e.870$q3.40274@news7.onvoy.net...
>>I spilled some rum on my notebook (HP zv5235us) last weekend (hadn't even
>>taken a sip yet, so it's no excuse).
>> I immediately disconnected power, pulled the battery, wiped up what I
>> could, then disassembled it (good thing I hadn't a sip yet).
>> I pulled the keyboard and wiped what I could, then blew compressed air on
>> it in the direction of the spill. There was only a little moisture (a
>> couple of drops) inside the computer, which I wiped up.
>> I waited 24 hours to reassemble. When I did, everything appeared to work
>> fine. But now, a few days later, my left-side CTRL, FN, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK,
>> TAB and ESC keys are sticking. None are staying down, yet, but the
>> sticking is audible. The CTRL and ESC are the worst and you can see that
>> they are returning up slowly.
>>
>> Is there a way to clean this?
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good source for a new keyboard if this one becomes
>> unusable?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
> Thanks for all the answers!
> I am hesitant to use water. It looks like there are a lot of tiny places
> where it could get trapped.

Just let it dry for a week or so and rotate it through several different
orientations before you start up the machine again. Be a good idea to pull
the hard disk and set it aside--it's the only thing in the machine that can
be seriously damaged by clean water, but even that's unlikely unless you
immerse the machine.

> But I imagine it is no worse than the rum that
> is in there.
> Does anyone think that an isopropyl alcohol might work to remove the
> contacts?

Denatured would be a better bet--it's the same chemistry as rum but with a
little bit of toxin added for tax purposes. Mix it with water so that you
are getting both the alcohol- and the water- soluble components (everything
that is soluble in water is not soluble in ethanol and vice versa).

> It looks like all of the parts are esentially 'taped' in place.
> Could they come loose?

More likely with alcohol than with water.

> If I stop somewhere to get some electronics cleaner, would that be
> esentially the same as alcohol?

Read the label. Some is, some isn't.

> Searching around online, it seems a replacement keyboard could run between
> $100-$150.
> I suppose I'll call HP first and see if the warranty covers it. I hate
> calling customer support, though. The connection is always bad, and I
> can't understand a word they say any better than they seem to understand
> me.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 12:36:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:16:17 -0700, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>
>> I am hesitant to use water. It looks like there are a lot of tiny places
>> where it could get trapped.
>
> Just let it dry for a week or so and rotate it through several different
> orientations before you start up the machine again. Be a good idea to
> pull
> the hard disk and set it aside--it's the only thing in the machine that
> can
> be seriously damaged by clean water, but even that's unlikely unless you
> immerse the machine.

Oh DO remove the keyboard to wash it.



>> But I imagine it is no worse than the rum that
>> is in there.
>> Does anyone think that an isopropyl alcohol might work to remove the
>> contacts?
>
> Denatured would be a better bet--it's the same chemistry as rum but with
> a
> little bit of toxin added for tax purposes. Mix it with water so that
> you
> are getting both the alcohol- and the water- soluble components
> (everything
> that is soluble in water is not soluble in ethanol and vice versa).

Denatured and Isopropyl ARE largely water, unless you purchase higher
strength stuff.

>
>> It looks like all of the parts are esentially 'taped' in place.
>> Could they come loose?
>
> More likely with alcohol than with water.
>
>> If I stop somewhere to get some electronics cleaner, would that be
>> esentially the same as alcohol?
>
> Read the label. Some is, some isn't.
>
It is likely more aggressive, made to remove flux residue.
Rum is rather benign IMHO, it is the sugar that is getting sticky. So
water / alcohol is the ticket.

To dry, place in washing machine between towels... spin cycle. place
under heat lamp or in oven at low (!) setting to chase water and alcohol.


--
Fritz Oppliger
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2005 7:52:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Fritz Oppliger wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:16:17 -0700, J. Clarke
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>
>>> I am hesitant to use water. It looks like there are a lot of tiny places
>>> where it could get trapped.
>>
>> Just let it dry for a week or so and rotate it through several different
>> orientations before you start up the machine again. Be a good idea to
>> pull
>> the hard disk and set it aside--it's the only thing in the machine that
>> can
>> be seriously damaged by clean water, but even that's unlikely unless you
>> immerse the machine.
>
> Oh DO remove the keyboard to wash it.
>
>
>
>>> But I imagine it is no worse than the rum that
>>> is in there.
>>> Does anyone think that an isopropyl alcohol might work to remove the
>>> contacts?
>>
>> Denatured would be a better bet--it's the same chemistry as rum but with
>> a
>> little bit of toxin added for tax purposes. Mix it with water so that
>> you
>> are getting both the alcohol- and the water- soluble components
>> (everything
>> that is soluble in water is not soluble in ethanol and vice versa).
>
> Denatured and Isopropyl ARE largely water, unless you purchase higher
> strength stuff.

Maybe where you come from.

>>> It looks like all of the parts are esentially 'taped' in place.
>>> Could they come loose?
>>
>> More likely with alcohol than with water.
>>
>>> If I stop somewhere to get some electronics cleaner, would that be
>>> esentially the same as alcohol?
>>
>> Read the label. Some is, some isn't.
>>
> It is likely more aggressive, made to remove flux residue.

Some is, some is intended for cleaning spills and the like.

> Rum is rather benign IMHO, it is the sugar that is getting sticky. So
> water / alcohol is the ticket.
>
> To dry, place in washing machine between towels... spin cycle. place
> under heat lamp or in oven at low (!) setting to chase water and alcohol.
>
>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
!