Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New AMD fit where old AMD did???

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2011 3:13:27 AM

Hello,
I want to buy a new AMD processor...but I'm not sure if it will fit where my old one did? i have a 2001 AMD athlon 64...will a new AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFK42GM - OEM fit where my old one did??? lol plz help

More about : amd fit amd

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2011 3:19:37 AM

Do you know what model of motherboard you have? You should be able to tell both in the BIOS and in the Control Panel.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:27:18 AM

my comp will not turn on cause the CPU is toast it tells me when I turn it on...is there a way to tell from the shape of the input pegs on my old CPU? and the new CPU...if that makes any sense i mean i see one major difference in the CPU im looking at and the one I have...the pegs on one of the corners are shaped differently...if that does not make sense ill try and find links for pics of both the old and new CPUs... lol
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 23, 2011 3:37:32 AM

No. You old CPU is a S939 CPU, AMD switched from that to AM2 in the early 200s and then to AM2+ to finally AM3, with AM3+ coming soon.

That CPU, the Athlon II X4, wont fit in the 939 socket or work.

You will need a new mobo if you want that CPU.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 23, 2011 3:44:34 AM

It seems like (without knowing your motherboard) the best you can hope for is one of those dual cores at 2.2Ghz listed on that ebay page.
But its a good time for an upgrade. Intel offers some very nice uopgrades in the sandy bridge platform. On the AMD side, AM3+ motherboards are available now, and new CPU's will be out in the next couple of months.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:49:50 AM

jimmysmitty said:
No. You old CPU is a S939 CPU, AMD switched from that to AM2 in the early 200s and then to AM2+ to finally AM3, with AM3+ coming soon.

That CPU, the Athlon II X4, wont fit in the 939 socket or work.

You will need a new mobo if you want that CPU.

>>>>So this mobo would work well??? of course I would need to upgrade to DDR3 but that is going need to happen at some point...the whole reason my CPU went out was my powesupply blew cause I was pushing it to hard...so i bought a new one...and i might as well upgrade my whole comp...but I really REALLY do not wanna spend more than 200-250 for all of it...but anywho below is the mobo...plz tell me if it would work since it is AM3...Thank you!

***** Mobo im looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 23, 2011 4:19:51 AM

Best answer selected by wowjunkie25.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 23, 2011 5:22:28 AM

That motherboard isn't bad at all..But it doesn't adress the new CPU's coming out this fall. AM3 is a dead end as they say, because there won't be any new products coming out for it. AM3+ is the way to go now. I'm not telling you to not buy that board, just recognize the lack of upgradablity for the future.

Here's some AM3+ boards to consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2011 11:33:52 AM

in the year 2001 was the 'socket -A' era (XP2000, etc..), which came after Slot-A from 1999, but, long before socket 939 or 754 , or 940, or AM2, or AM3
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:21:22 PM

buzznut said:
That motherboard isn't bad at all..But it doesn't adress the new CPU's coming out this fall. AM3 is a dead end as they say, because there won't be any new products coming out for it. AM3+ is the way to go now. I'm not telling you to not buy that board, just recognize the lack of upgradablity for the future.

Here's some AM3+ boards to consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

thank you...since you showed me those boards i think i will upgrade...but just to make sure the AM3+ is backwards compatible with previous AMD series CPUs right? like AM3+ will fit just a plain AM3?? lol
m
l
!