New AMD fit where old AMD did???

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy a new AMD processor...but I'm not sure if it will fit where my old one did? i have a 2001 AMD athlon 64...will a new AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFK42GM - OEM fit where my old one did??? lol plz help

Solution
No. You old CPU is a S939 CPU, AMD switched from that to AM2 in the early 200s and then to AM2+ to finally AM3, with AM3+ coming soon.

That CPU, the Athlon II X4, wont fit in the 939 socket or work.

You will need a new mobo if you want that CPU.

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
my comp will not turn on cause the CPU is toast it tells me when I turn it on...is there a way to tell from the shape of the input pegs on my old CPU? and the new CPU...if that makes any sense i mean i see one major difference in the CPU im looking at and the one I have...the pegs on one of the corners are shaped differently...if that does not make sense ill try and find links for pics of both the old and new CPUs... lol

No. You old CPU is a S939 CPU, AMD switched from that to AM2 in the early 200s and then to AM2+ to finally AM3, with AM3+ coming soon.

That CPU, the Athlon II X4, wont fit in the 939 socket or work.

You will need a new mobo if you want that CPU.

Solution
It seems like (without knowing your motherboard) the best you can hope for is one of those dual cores at 2.2Ghz listed on that ebay page.
But its a good time for an upgrade. Intel offers some very nice uopgrades in the sandy bridge platform. On the AMD side, AM3+ motherboards are available now, and new CPU's will be out in the next couple of months.

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

>>>>So this mobo would work well??? of course I would need to upgrade to DDR3 but that is going need to happen at some point...the whole reason my CPU went out was my powesupply blew cause I was pushing it to hard...so i bought a new one...and i might as well upgrade my whole comp...but I really REALLY do not wanna spend more than 200-250 for all of it...but anywho below is the mobo...plz tell me if it would work since it is AM3...Thank you!

***** Mobo im looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

thank you...since you showed me those boards i think i will upgrade...but just to make sure the AM3+ is backwards compatible with previous AMD series CPUs right? like AM3+ will fit just a plain AM3?? lol