Amps? Voltages? Watts? OH MY!! corny but can I get some quick help?

spencerfine

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for clicking!
A friend is describing a problem for me and she needs a new power supply/adapter. One of the 2 segments on the power cord actually burned itself out physically and could have started a fire. Sony wants the whole computer back and 2 weeks to 'work' on the problem. -BS. I'd like to recommend a decent power supply/adapter with similar specs and then of course give her an extra surge protector I have. Problem is, I know next to nothing about Amps/wattage's etc.

Amazon and google have been of no help yet.

Here is what she has
Sony Vio vgn-cs220J
The Input reads 1.3A on the power supply
and 19.5-3.9A for the output

Can I recommend one of these for her? Even if it doesnt match the specs exactly? Under $10 sounds amazing!
http://www.amazon.com/PCG-GRT250P-VGN-AR520E-VGN-CR320E-VGN-NR220E-vgn-cs320j/dp/B003U8COV2/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308797887&sr=1-7
is one
http://www.amazon.com/VGN-CR320E-VGN-NR120E-VGN-NR160E-VGN-NR220E-vgn-cs320j/dp/B003U8EQ8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308797887&sr=1-1
is the other I found.

can anyone help? The cheaper the better really -i just want to make sure it works. thanks all! I love this place -you guys rock!

Solution
From the adapters that I have seen for the Sony VAIO VGN-CS220J :

Replacement AC Adapter, guaranteed compatible with 1-year warranty. This is a new, Sony original product.

Adapter Specs:

1. 90-Watt
2. 18-20V
3. Up to 4.9A
4. 4.4mm x 6.5mm tip
5. Center-positive

The final decision is yours to make.
No, you will need a power adapter that matches EXACTLY. Keep searching, it may be that you'll have to order one from Sony.
A power supply that doesn't the output the required current and voltage can easily damage the PC. This is not a case of where "close enough" will do. Expect to pay up to $50 for the correct power adapter. And like I tell my stepdaughter, tell her she needs to buy the next one.

The first one you linked to uses a three-prong grounded AC power cable.

The second one uses only a two-prong AC power cable.

Which one does she currently have? I personally would choose the 3-prong version for safety.

These adapters will work fine because they are able to supply the correct output voltage of 19.5 Volts DC. It is able to provide up to a maximum of 4.7 Amps DC, which is more than the 3.9 Amps DC that the original one was able to produce, but that is absolutely fine. The laptop will only draw the current that it needs.

spencerfine

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
thanks very much! should i be concerned taht the plug itself wouldnt work? i know they look similar but they're in all shapes and sizes. should i just assume that bc this fits similar models it will fit?

Measure the old plug's tip to see if it matches the following :

6.5 mm outside diameter
4.5 mm inside diameter
12.1 mm depth

spencerfine

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
cant take any chances on this -her job depends on this. she doesnt have much to spend and i can't find anything that says the cheaper ones will fit the 6.5 and 4.4 -how did you get the measurements to match up to the new one? or could you please post the amazon/ebay/anywhere link to buy it?

From the adapters that I have seen for the Sony VAIO VGN-CS220J :

Replacement AC Adapter, guaranteed compatible with 1-year warranty. This is a new, Sony original product.

Adapter Specs:

1. 90-Watt
2. 18-20V
3. Up to 4.9A
4. 4.4mm x 6.5mm tip
5. Center-positive

The final decision is yours to make.

Solution