Sign in with
Your question

2000$ gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2011 10:14:02 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: some time in April

Budget Range: ~2000$ in total. the absolute maximum is 2500, 1500 is the minimum i want to spend.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (any gaming pc can do the rest I want to do with that system)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, speakers, OS, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: Germany, moving to Switzerland on April 1st (will buy at newegg via shipito)

Parts Preferences: see components list section below.

Overclocking: Yes. planned: CPU. maybe RAM, GPU.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - rather no, see below in components list at GPU.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050, 22" lcd currently. if someone knows a good deal on a 28"+ monitor (that can be used for gaming), you are welcome to tell me :-)

Additional Comments:

- i like watercooling :-) I am out of date, though, so if you have some suggestions here, would be very very cool :-) i'd like to cool the CPU and the MOBO chip, and MAYBE the graphics card; the latter only if i do not have to buy expensive wc-parts that only work with a specific graphics card (5 years ago this was the only solution I knew of. wc-updates for cpu did cost me 20$, mobo 5$, but for graphics card i would have had to buy a new component that only worked for that graphics card and would have costed more than 100$ alone). cooling hdds and ram is a bit overkill in my eyes, but i am open to suggestions (e.g. if there exists one cooling system for a rack of hdds, that would be ok; but i don't want to install a wc part for each hdd i use...). i guess radiator should be external, don't want to work with a flex on my case :-)
- at any time not gaming, the system should be quite quiet. not a problem with WC, i guess.
- beyond those two issues i am not very demanding regarding, well, almost anything. even look (of the case). i just don't have a clue about current hardware and don't want to spend 1 day of reading for each single component :-) (which i would if i would do this all by myself :-/ can't stop reading articles, that's a problem for me, so rather not even begin with...)
- prices: i don't need absolute high end material, the quality/bucks ratio should be ok since I don't install new games often. fallout 3 is the newest i can think of in the near future...

Components, rough list

a) CPU: i think i should go with an i7?
b) RAM: 6 GB DDR3 RAM at least. 8+ preferred
c) GPU: I do not have ANY clue. minimum of 1GB video ram is all i can tell (for heavily modded oblivion/moderate modded fallout 3). i do not know what SLI/crossfire is (it has to do with using more than one GPU, right?), but mentioning that my most modern games installed are L4D2 and (a moderate modded) oblivion, i guess i don't need SLI/crossfire. i am usually some years(!) behind the latest games :-)
d) MOBO: any that can handle above components and can be used to OC intels i7 (or any other CPU that you will suggest). My old mobo OCed my 2.4ghz E6600 to 3.4ghz without any problems, hope i can accomplish something similar (or at least anything meaningful) with the new cpu ^^
e) HDD: one of moderate size (1TB?) suffices. any is ok. i will back it up with some of my old (s-ata) hdds.
f) PSU: my pc will run at least 12h/day, maybe even 24/7. so please something with a good energy efficiency. i heard modern PSUs are above 80/85%?
g) case: any tower that you think is good :-) maybe with some special support for watercooling (this trend had just started the last time i built a system, i.e. ~5 years ago; maybe there are really useful cases for WC out now). look doesn't matter (no pink girly case, though ^^)
h) any sound card advice? i have a small teufel sound system, so there should be something better than mobo-sound, but i am not demanding at all above that.

final sentence

many thanks to WR2 for pointing out the (oversighted) posting rules!

More about : 2000 gaming

a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2011 12:59:32 PM
Related resources
March 23, 2011 6:57:56 PM

If you really like watercooling, you can get a video card with a pre-installed waterblock, and the following case has some really great water cooling features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

and finish it off with the xspc rasa kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC...

If you go into the OC forum on here, everyone will tell you that the closed loop systems are pretty useless, noisy and overpriced. Nearly everyone will point you to that kit.
March 25, 2011 1:30:30 AM

hi both,

thx for the comments. since i am in the process of moving i can't visit the thread very often.
thx to you both i now heard about SSD - didn't even know of their existence.

i looked at all the products though not very deep (missing time atm).

WR2, 2 questions: when i tok a first look myself i would have gone for the i7 2600k; isn't the i7 quite a bit superior to the i5 2500 without much of a price difference?
similarly, i first looked for the gtx 470, since the price is quite a bit lower though performances seem to be quite close. would you give a go for the 470 as well?
my current mobo is a gigabyte, it was really great for OC. i think this might be a fix choice for me (depends on compatibility, of course). thx pointing it out.

bejabbers: the graca seems to be a BEAST. has quite a price, though. never saw a graca with preinstalled cooler. should keep an eye for these.

with closed loop systems, do you mean LC systems in which one pump and one radiator are responsible fr cooling everything? or did you refer to the cases i mentioned? if the first is true i need more clarification, for the second i believe it outright :-)

i tried to find some LC stuff recently, especially external solutions. but my search was quite disappointing. the company i do have my parts from (Germany) has interesting solutions but ... damn expansive. koolance: either expansive or not convincing.
an interesting thing was the zalman resorator - however don't know about performance and, anyway, it's built for pc components from 2 years ago it seems.
in total i must say it was rather disappointing.
maybe i will reuse my current case/LC setup. it works and does not produce extra cost. but due to bad pump installation (my bad ^^) it is not truly quiet :-(

thx for both your suggestions, i fear i might return to this thread not before april....
March 25, 2011 1:41:50 AM

Sure, if $100 is not much of a price difference to you, I would say go for it. However, it's probably more processor than you'll need with your graphics card.
a b 4 Gaming
March 25, 2011 2:14:32 AM

dps_kane said:
WR2, 2 questions: when i tok a first look myself i would have gone for the i7 2600k; isn't the i7 quite a bit superior to the i5 2500 without much of a price difference?
similarly, i first looked for the gtx 470, since the price is quite a bit lower though performances seem to be quite close. would you give a go for the 470 as well?
Not in gaming. They are almost identical in games.
In media creation / editing and certain other programs let the i7 perform better than the i5.
Use lower cost of i5 CPU to get the better graphics card GTX 570.
March 30, 2011 8:02:12 PM

landed in switzerland now :-)
thanks for your replies. this is good to know, will go for the i5 then. still need to find a useful watercooling system. but atm i don't have the time to look for one.
March 31, 2011 5:44:39 AM

dps_kane said:

bejabbers: the graca seems to be a BEAST. has quite a price, though. never saw a graca with preinstalled cooler. should keep an eye for these.

with closed loop systems, do you mean LC systems in which one pump and one radiator are responsible fr cooling everything? or did you refer to the cases i mentioned? if the first is true i need more clarification, for the second i believe it outright :-)

i tried to find some LC stuff recently, especially external solutions. but my search was quite disappointing. the company i do have my parts from (Germany) has interesting solutions but ... damn expansive. koolance: either expansive or not convincing.
an interesting thing was the zalman resorator - however don't know about performance and, anyway, it's built for pc components from 2 years ago it seems.
in total i must say it was rather disappointing.
maybe i will reuse my current case/LC setup. it works and does not produce extra cost. but due to bad pump installation (my bad ^^) it is not truly quiet :-(

thx for both your suggestions, i fear i might return to this thread not before april....

Yea, the card is a beast, but it costs about the same or less than buying a reference card and cooling block separately. This way it's pre-installed and you don't have to worry about the hassel of switching the coolers.

When I say a closed loop system, I'm referring to something like the corsair H50, or h70, where the radiator, pump, reservoir and waterblock are sold in one unit.

If you're over in europe, you should be able to get stuff from EK, and I'm sure that you could find plenty of sites that you could order other companies from.

If you have any more Watercooling questions, they've just created a watercooling forum, under overclocking, where people with far more experience than me can guide you through and answer any questions you may have.
April 3, 2011 2:01:02 PM

bejabbers said:
Yea, the card is a beast, but it costs about the same or less than buying a reference card and cooling block separately. This way it's pre-installed and you don't have to worry about the hassel of switching the coolers.

When I say a closed loop system, I'm referring to something like the corsair H50, or h70, where the radiator, pump, reservoir and waterblock are sold in one unit.

If you're over in europe, you should be able to get stuff from EK, and I'm sure that you could find plenty of sites that you could order other companies from.

If you have any more Watercooling questions, they've just created a watercooling forum, under overclocking, where people with far more experience than me can guide you through and answer any questions you may have.

thanks for the reply. I will check the forum, I already found some useful stuff by looking for EK (didn't knew the producer until now).
As it seems, things have not changed too much since back then, but at least I now know where to get universal GPU coolers.
!