Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for a xeon processer

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2012 6:55:50 PM

Alright so i resently bought a used xeon quad core server processor, the guy was really friendly and told me i need a 1156LGA and a p55 socket to use it, while looking for these boards i found a good one for 89 buks, but then i found server motherboards. Which one should i get and does it really matter? i only plan on running with 1 processer and 8 gigs of ram on this board and im kinda cheap ;)  . Also my graphics card is a Nivida Geforce series if it matters.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 7:52:13 PM

You are not very much help at all :lol: 

What are you trying to do, and what is your processor model?

The greatest impact from the quality of your motherboard with a XEON will be in memory thru-put and over-clocking. Enterprise mobos offer workstation/server attributes which may, or may not be of interest to you. Some desktop boards offer Xeon support.

Motherboard OEMs will post supported CPUs on their websites. You should verify if your model is supported

m
l
February 25, 2012 5:10:30 PM

Im just trying to have a good gaming computer really, ill also be doing alot of video rendering and otherthings with sony vegas ect.
The model is intel X3450 xeon at 2.66ghz. Anything that has to do with a server i really dont care about tbh. I just need to know what motherboard i should use that will work for cheap :) 
m
l
!