Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 754)

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2012 7:23:27 PM

Hey guys, Sorry to register here and ask a question right away but I plan to stay and contribute :) 

I need a new mother board but I don't know what to buy that will work with my CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3200+) and my Power Supply (425W Power Supply : MiOS Model 400U-425PS ) .. I need a new motherboard because for some reason my computer only boots up with 1 installed ram card but once you add another it doesn't boot and it doesn't beep. I did the tests and both ram cards work individually and both ram slots work individually. I have been using the same ram for years with out problems (2x PC3200 DDR200 512mb).

I know that my PSU, CPU and my MB is probably real crappy and out of date but at the moment I don't have a lot of money for upgrades and my current MB is "Alive6100 VSTA V: 1.0" and it has only 2 ram slots and supports a maximum of 2 GB of ram (1 GB per slot) and for some reason the computer only boots up when there is only 1 card of ram as i stated above so I am going to buy a new MB and about 2 GB of ram so that I can continue gaming like I use to with 1 GB of ram which was enough for me but now I will have a better motherboard and an extra gig of ram for better gaming and as I get more money I will upgrade my pc more like the CPU, PSU and a lot of other good stuff!

Thanks and I appreciate all help! I know some people will say that it's cheaper to buy a new PC in the long run but I really like this computer and I want to slowly upgrade it and make it run faster :) 
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 7:39:46 PM

wrong socket type.
m
l
February 24, 2012 8:12:45 PM

o1die said:
Here's a full size atx board that should work (backplate not included). I have an extra one if you happen to order this one and live in the usa. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AM2NF3-VSTA-BO-...

Hey oldie,

EDIT: I was just looking at my current MB specifications and I noticed that it says: "FORM FACTOR ยบ Micro-ATX Size, 244mm*214mm" and I see that the link you sent me is for a full size atx board. This means that I can't use the one that you suggested?

Thanks for the quick response! I am pretty sure that this motherboard will work with my CPU and PSU but I noticed you said that the backplate is not included and I don't know too much about computers but I would assume that the backplate is a sort of chassis for the motherboard to secure it and prevent deformation and if I'm right then do you have any idea where I could buy a backplate for this motherboard or is it possible to use the backplate that is being used for my current motherboard since they are probably the same size?

I live in Canada and not USA but if you do have an extra one and it's in good condition and you are willing to sell it then we can discuss a price and I will also need an AGP 8X video card with at least 512 mb memory if you have one of those for sale. I think that this is my best option though for my computer. Thanks!!
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 10:17:20 PM

Thanks for the link, My friend suggested that I buy this MB off eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUSTek-K8V-SE-Deluxe-Motherboa... which would be the best for me due to the cheap shipping to Canada and he says that it is probably better than the other ones. But do you think that it would support my CPU and my PSU ?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 10:23:46 PM

That asus board should work fine if your case is full size atx. It has sata ports if you need them, but no onboard video.
m
l
February 24, 2012 10:57:50 PM

Alright thanks for the reply I guess I will be getting the motherboard. Do you know how I can tell whether it's a full size atx or a matx?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 8:46:03 AM

The board specs in inches are listed; use a conversion is it's listed as metric. If the board is over 9.6 inches wide, then assume it's atx; but honestly, all boards have this description listed. You won't have to guess. Google your case if you don't know.
m
l
February 25, 2012 11:02:30 AM

Another option, if I read your OP correctly, you could boot up your machine into the bios with the one stick of ram and set the ram voltage a little higher (check the spec on the stick of ram). The issue you have sounds like the ram voltage is higher than the motherboards default voltage. It often will be set to low and will not boot when multiple sticks are installed. I have had this happen even after it working on default voltage for months. I think its something to do with the memory itself. After about a year with the correct voltage I had 1 set of DDR2 fail in that rig.
m
l
February 25, 2012 5:27:48 PM

Hey, The width of my case is about 7 inches and the length is about 16.5 inches so I guess it is a mATX and that I will need to get : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASRock-K8NF4G-VSTA-NVIDIA-GeForc...

I would do that but I honestly think that the motherboard is the problem it is very old and I looked and there is minor damage to both ram slots.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 6:00:12 PM

Your case will work fine with that asrock board. The heighth is what I should have referenced. My case sits flat (old fashioned desktop).
m
l
February 25, 2012 6:14:32 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'm buying it now. I just have a last question - Do you know if that ASRock would fully recognize high density ram? I have been hearing a lot about high density ram not being compatible with most motherboards and that I would need to get low density ram, otherwise I would risk my motherboard only recognizing half of the high density ram...
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 8:18:42 PM

You don't want to use high density ram in any board. Single sided is the most reliable with brands such as corsair, crucial, kingston, patriot, and samsung.
m
l
February 25, 2012 9:42:46 PM

Do you mean that single sided ram is pretty much low density ram and ram that has chips on both sides is high density ram? It's weird if so because I remember reading that low density and high density both have 16 chips total (8 on each side) and the ram that I have been using for years in my computer has 16 chips does that mean it is high density ram? I find it pretty much impossible to tell the differences between high density ram and low density ram and I don't mean that in terms of performance.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 10:24:47 AM

No. Some double sided ram is low density. Stick with name brands that I mentioned. They don't manufacture high density ram; some of that only works on a few via chipset boards. It's not worth the hassles of possible swaps, restocking fees, etc to exchange it if it doesn't boot.
m
l
!