Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fan wiring, the only confusing part...!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2012 7:29:56 PM

I've pretty much finished all of the wiring in my case BESIDES the insane amount of fans that the HAF X case comes with in it. I don't know much about how to wire so many fans. Here of some of the issues that have my confused.

1. All the fans in the HAF X case have molex connectors (extensions) on them with one male and one female end. These can be removed so you can plug them into the motherboard though.
2. I don't know the difference between cha and pwr headers on my motherboard I know they both have to do with fans.
3. What fans should I plug into my motherboard (I know the cpu fan... of course) if any? Is there a downside or an upside to plugging directly into a PSU or instead into the motherboard?
4. Is it good to run your fans at full speed? (That's what I've read if you plug your fans into a pwr header or into the PSU.

Here are the pieces I am using!
Thanks for annnnny help, I would love to understand this whole fan situation. Thanks everyone.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : fan wiring confusing part

February 24, 2012 7:52:29 PM

Basically, if you plug the fans into the motherboard, you gain the benefit of the motherboard being able to monitor and control their speed and adjust accordingly to temperatures. If they are plugged into the power supply then they should just run at full speed (I have a few like that and haven't had any problems with them at all). "Cha" fan looks like chassis fan, just generic case fans. I don't remember what pwr fan is specifically, but basically the motherboard will just monitor and manage them differently. It probably won't adjust speed to the chassis fans if temperatures increase and just keep them at a constant value. Power fans will likely change speed based on heat factors. The CPU fan obvious as you said. In all, feel free to mix them around if necessary, you shouldn't have any major issues in doing so.
Score
February 24, 2012 7:57:37 PM

I was set on.. cha = the ability for your mobo to control the speeds. pwr = just straight power and no mobo control. The next thing is, I'm not EXACTLY sure what a daisy chain is.
Would it be better to use the molex addons that the case fans already had on them, they all had one male and one female molex on each. Would that be daisy chaining if I did that two like 4-5 fans.
Or is it better to just plugin each fan to it's own molex (female?) coming from the powersupply, thus they all get a direct current to the PSU instead of running down a line off of one of the PSU's molexs?

I also noticed some of my cases fans are 3 pins and for instance there is a cha header that is 4 pins? But looks like it allows a three pin, what's this all about?
Score
Related resources
February 24, 2012 8:15:13 PM

4 pin headers on the mobo are for PWM fans (speed control), while 3 pin ones are for non-PWM fans. If I remember right, one pin received a tachometer signal from the fan telling the mobo how fast the fan is spinning, from which the mobo can implement speed control by changing the voltage to the fan. I don't think you can plug 3 pin fans into 4 pin headers.

Getting a fan controller might help if you don't want all the fans going at the same time. Get one with knobs, instead of the ones that just have 3 settings per fan - slow, medium and fast, as your fan might not run at their slow/medium voltage, turning it into a fancy on/off switch.
Score
February 24, 2012 8:27:47 PM

These are on all of the fans in my case... But they can be taken off so you can plug them directly into the motherboard? What is reccomended? What fans are most important if any to plugin to the cha ports? I'm confused. -.- Sorry.
And this came with either my PSU or Mobo, does this have something to do with the fans?

Score
February 24, 2012 10:02:43 PM

Bump, I'm so confused with working with the fans... I have all of my other wires figured out. :( 
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 10:27:01 PM

Rebmob said:
I've pretty much finished all of the wiring in my case BESIDES the insane amount of fans that the HAF X case comes with in it. I don't know much about how to wire so many fans. Here of some of the issues that have my confused.

1. All the fans in the HAF X case have molex connectors (extensions) on them with one male and one female end. These can be removed so you can plug them into the motherboard though.
2. I don't know the difference between cha and pwr headers on my motherboard I know they both have to do with fans.
3. What fans should I plug into my motherboard (I know the cpu fan... of course) if any? Is there a downside or an upside to plugging directly into a PSU or instead into the motherboard?
4. Is it good to run your fans at full speed? (That's what I've read if you plug your fans into a pwr header or into the PSU.

Here are the pieces I am using!
Thanks for annnnny help, I would love to understand this whole fan situation. Thanks everyone.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How many fans you got in the case? I just saw the MOBO and has 2 system fan header(3 pin) and has 2 CPU fan(4 pin)
My PC case is HAF 932 and has 4 system fan. The system fan has 3 pins(male) and the CPU fan has 4 pin(male)
It is better to connect the fans on the MOBO so that you can control the speeds of the fans. And also to monitor their performance(RPM)
The socket from the fan wires are called female it is just common sense, molex connctors are for connection directly to the PSU, which is you don't have the ability to control and monitor their speeds(RPM).
Score
February 24, 2012 10:37:15 PM

My case the Haf X has 4 fans as well. (Top/back/front/side) I've been reading that plugging too many fans into a motherboard could be bad? And some of my fan headers are 4 not 3.

I was mainly just totally thrown off because all of the fans that came in the case had the fan female to molex connectors on all of them, like they intentionally wanted me to hook them directly to my psu. Or maybe that just wanted to give me the option? What fan(s) are most important to monitor?

Is the black PSU wire here meant to hookup things such as fans? And if I did could I just use one molex and keep chainging the fans together since they all have fan to molex / male & females. Or would that be bad?
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 11:13:53 PM

Rebmob said:
My case the Haf X has 4 fans as well. (Top/back/front/side) I've been reading that plugging too many fans into a motherboard could be bad? And some of my fan headers are 4 not 3.

I was mainly just totally thrown off because all of the fans that came in the case had the fan female to molex connectors on all of them, like they intentionally wanted me to hook them directly to my psu. Or maybe that just wanted to give me the option? What fan(s) are most important to monitor?

Is the black PSU wire here meant to hookup things such as fans? And if I did could I just use one molex and keep chainging the fans together since they all have fan to molex / male & females. Or would that be bad?
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9726/sdsddsdsdsdsds.jpg

The CPU fans are the most important fans to monitor, My PC has 4 System fans and are all connected to a Touch screen fan controllers:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The only fans connected to the MB is the CPU fans of which I have 2 X 120 mm fans in a push and pull configuration attach to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suggest you to buy the touch screen Fan controller its awesome. You can control each fan individually with corresponding temps.
Score
February 24, 2012 11:27:49 PM

If you want the fans to be always on, at full speed, then plug them in directly into the PSU. If you want to monitor and control them, plug them into the CHA headers on the mobo.
Score
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 11:35:07 PM

on page 2.2 you got all the fan connectors,the one with 4 pins could be controlled by the motherboard the black connector is for a 4 pins to molex,the white one is molex to a 3 pins connectors on fan but if you have fans with only 2 pins they go to molex connectors
Score
February 24, 2012 11:35:50 PM

I have a modular power supply, the only wire that looks like it would be for plugging fans into is in this picture.. http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9726/sdsddsdsdsdsds....

And if that is it, should I plug each fan into a different molex on that black wire? Or keep connecting them to each other, like I said each fan has a male and extra female so I guess the point is that you can chain them together?
Score
a c 130 V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 11:42:37 PM

Just to have it all clear, you want full speed, just like said above, just stack all the fan connectors to the power supply(they can plug end to end).

I see a picture of a 4 pin molex to 4 pin fdd connector, you will not need that thing for fans.

Do not need this

The cpu fan should be connected to the 4 pin fan header at the top of the board.

Other fans can be connected to the boards lower and rear fan connector. The rear or CHA fan1 connector is 4 pin, but should work with a 3 pin fan. On some boards(Maximus Gene-z and its 4 pin cpu headers) with a 3 pin fan, you will not be able to control it on a 4 pin header, but with any luck, you will not have this issue.

This still leaves you short of a fan header location for 4 fans. A splitter can be used as long as the fans are not too powerful. Only one of the fans used with the splitter will be able to have its speed monitored, but both should vary together.

If monitoring and speed control is not an issue, just connect the case fans to the power supply.
Score
February 24, 2012 11:58:43 PM

Thanks for clearing some of that up nuke! A few more questions...

PWR headers... are not meant for fans but to connect the PSU to to monitor it's fan, if I'm correct? So never plug fans into pwr headers?

and all of my fans in my case came with adapters to the original 3pin adapter and they split off into a male AND female molex. Is the process called daisy chaining < linking all of my fans together using all of those male / female splitters? And if so, would it be dangers to run all four fans daisy chained like that, being plugged into ONE molex coming out from the PSU?
Score
a c 130 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 12:02:07 AM

I think you mean PWM header(it is 4 pins). NEVER connect the power supply to that......

If you mean PWR Fan(should only be one of those if you even have it and it is 3 pin), go ahead and use it for a fan if you wish. I do :) . Some power supplies have a fan connector to allow the board to monitor the fan speed.

As for daisy chaining the fans. They take very little power, go for it. If i can daisy chain 6 hard drives, i think 4 fans will work :) 
Score
February 25, 2012 12:09:24 AM

My mobo has a pwr fan1, and a pwr fan 2, as well as a cha fan 1 and 2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only thing that's keeping me from plugging them all into the mobo is I'm not sure if it's safe? If the fans are too big, and they are all plugged into the mobo, could the mobo have a chance of frying?
Score
a c 130 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 12:16:21 AM

If you take too much power, the header CAN be damaged, but you need to be running like 4 or more fans on each header(or 2+ real powerful fans). I have done 2 and 3 in the past without issues.

It is very strange to see 2 called pwr fan(did not see the second one up front) as those would have been used to monitor the power supply fan.

Either way, a single fan will not hurt it. I am not sure if the board will control those fans or not. You can check in the bios.

At once point ALL Asus boards did controlled ALL fans(P5W DH), but some are getting cheaper or something(My Maximus Gene-Z will only control 4 pin fans on its 2 cpu fan headers, that kind of sucks with my Noctua fans being 3 pin.). I have many gigabyte boards that only control a few of the headers and feed full speed to the others(Guess this reduces the chance of overload, but makes me use y cables to run all fans with speed control).
Score
February 25, 2012 12:22:40 AM

Love your fast replies... I've been googling... over and over reading debates about pwr being to monitor the power supply, and others saying that the pwr headers and run fans (with no control / full speed) I can't find a definite answer. Would trying hurt it?

And ONE last question, I have 2 intakes 2 exhausts, which would be smarter to have in the cha headers? Intake or exhaust? :3
Score

Best solution

a c 130 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 1:36:13 AM

All boards i have had with a pwr_fan connector ran fans just fine. Some even controlled it.

The fan locations may not matter. it will depend on the control method. For instance, my Maximus Gene-Z sets ALL the non cpu fans to the same voltage(speed) so it does not even matter what plugs i use.

My X58A UD5 does NOT control the pwr fan, so i do not use that plug. I have 2 fans on the Sys_fan2(sys_fan 3 is not controlled either). My front fans are very slow, so they are just on the power supply.

If you find that one set(CHA or PWR) runs the fans slower, using that as intake may allow the case to sound quieter at idle since those are the fans closest to you if the tower is on a desktop.

You will find what works best once you have the board setup.
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 2:33:45 AM

I have a CPU fan w/ a 4 pin header which I use for the HSF which is controlled in BIOS. I have a CPU 3 pin header attached to an upper exhaust fan controlled by BIOS CPU fan #2 which also has 2 4-pin molex pigtails. The front fan on my case uses a 4pin molex only and when plugged into the pigtails runs at the same speed as the CPU fan#2 set in the BIOS.
Score
February 25, 2012 2:45:46 AM

My has no fan headers labled sys_fan. Hmm.
Score
February 25, 2012 2:47:22 AM

Best answer selected by Rebmob.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 3:26:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!