How do I build a pc over 4-5 months?

kholt26

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello,
I am planning to build a nice PC over the next couple of months but I dont know where to start. I can only put so much money into each part, or I can save up and buy it all out right.
I am looking at the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, and the jury is still out on the MOBO. As for graphics the Radeon 6850.
My question is, what do I buy now and what do I hold off on? Which parts are going to change in value significantly over the next few months and what should I just go for?

Solution
I couldn't disagree more. If you purchase the motherboard now, you're almost certainly locked into only CPUs that are available now. AMD is currently planning the release of a new series of processors (codename Bulldozer) on June 11th which require a new motherboard CPU socket type (AM3+). As I understand it, you can use an AM3 CPU in an AM3+ motherboard, but you cannot use an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Personally, I'd recommend holding off until you have saved enough for the entire purchase at one time. If you're not willing to do that, I'd probably start with the case, power supply, optical drive and OS. The core of the system (motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive/SSD, and graphics card) should wait until later.

-Wolf sends

twixx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I'm doing the same thing cause let's face it, sh*t's expensive! So far I have bought my Case, HDD, RAM, DVD drive and motherboard. You should definately pick out a motherboard because you have to build your PC from that. I almost made a huge mistake by not looking at the motherboard specs. Another tip: Make sure everything you have picked out is compatiable with your motherboard. If it says DDR3 RAM YOU GET DDR3. If it says i7 processor, YOU GET IT! i almost bought the i5 for mine and did one last check, turns out i need an i7. costs more but hey wont need an upgrade for a while. Right now i dont have a job (I'm 16 and going to school, hockey season just finished, so it's time to find one.) so getting the money is a little harder, just saving the money i get from my parents every now and then for lunch or whatever but if you are bringing in a little bit of money>>>SAVE IT, you'd be amazed how fast you accumulate money.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I couldn't disagree more. If you purchase the motherboard now, you're almost certainly locked into only CPUs that are available now. AMD is currently planning the release of a new series of processors (codename Bulldozer) on June 11th which require a new motherboard CPU socket type (AM3+). As I understand it, you can use an AM3 CPU in an AM3+ motherboard, but you cannot use an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Solution

traviskane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Always, always purchase all your parts at once.

If you buy your motherboard, then six months later finally have everything you need to start your PC up, and then you find out your motherboard is DOA... what then?