I need to upgrade my GPU for 150$

anthonymatchett

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I'm currently running an AMD dual core @3.2 and a Radeon 3870. It's mainly a gaming/htpc rig so I'm really just looking for max framerates in games. I have a 150$ budget, so what would be a good upgrade from the 3870?
P.S. I have no biad towards Nvidia or ATI so either will work : )

I would get a 1 gig gtx 460, like everyone else is saying, its the best deal around that price, if you want to go a little cheaper, and for your current resolution, I would grab the gtx 460 768mb version, but in general I would go straight for the 1 gig model.
Although you might want to wait to see if the gtx 460 price drops a bit when the gtx 560 is released in a week or so, im not sure if the 460 prices have already gone down but it might be worth waiting for, I would say its worth waiting to find out. However if you want to pull the trigger today, get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127551

to truely stay in your $150 dollar budget you will probably have to go with the 768mb version but at your res it should be more than enough muscle:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125334

if your not into oc'ing yourself here is the super oc version from galaxy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162057

G

I prefer the GTX 460 768MB Superclocked, you don't need 1GB especially at that resolution, so get a Superclocked version or MSI hawk version (has a special cooler) so that you can get higher clock rates on the same card for the same price and keep the warranty.

G

Look's like I'm not the only one recommending a 460, but I think you should definitely wait for the 560 which is released next week, because then the price will drop,
jjb8675309 is very correct.

At 1400x900 you don't really need something as powerful as a gtx460.A 5770 will do the job just fine.But i guess it is futureproof to get a 460.You never know when you might upgrade to a 1080p monitor.So make sure you go for the 1G models.I think of it as a safety net to get the 1G.

thats a lot of money for a 5770 IMO, it will be fine at your resolution but for the money I would have gone with a 768mb gtx 460 which will be more powerful and a bit more future proof, either way the hawk should oc a decent amount with the really nice cooler, your card will be adequate for your resolution and system, enjoy

So after everyone recommending a GTX460, you went with a 5770. The big difference between the two, in addition to PhysX, is that the 5770 will have much lower DirectX 11 tesselation performance. Many more games released in 2011 will feature DirectX 11 tesselation, which promises to add more realism to the graphics.

Nice choice,thats a really good version.
I hope your happy with your purchase.
If you start to believe all the hype then you can go ahead and return it.

One more thing to think about,with the relase of the gtx560 prices will drop for other items including the gtx460 1G.If this does happen, I would return the 5770 and get the gtx460 1G or maybe even a 6850.

anthonymatchett

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Everyone was recommending a card that wasn't within my price range, the only GTX460 on Newegg, yes that's the only place I'm willing to buy computer parts online, that I could afford was the Galaxy 768 version before shipping. After shipping I probably couldn't afford it anyway, but I was pouring over benchmarks and reviews and the 5770 was getting better fps than the Galaxy 768 in ALL resolutions. If I could've bought the MSI or even Gigabyte model GTX460 for 155 I would have.

anthonymatchett

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

It's the Regor 250 actually, stock @3.0 but OC'd currently stable @3.2. I'm going to push a lot more out of it as soon as I get an aftermarket cooler. Got a good one in mind?

I doubt that, the hyper 212+ performs like the 70-80 aircoolers but speaking about the h50, its all speculation i dont really know for sure, however I seriously doubt because 10-15c is a huge margin. Anyone have any benches? Plus I think its a dumb idea for the op to spend lots of money on a cpu cooler when his cpu is pretty low end to begin with