ta97ws6

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I just setup my first build and I'm looking to get a little more airflow in the case. I have a Cooler Masters Storm Scout and looking to add 2 120mm fans to the side panel.

My first question is the fans that came with the case are wired into molex connectors...so is there any way to get them to connect to the mobo for it to control the fan or will they just have to stay at 100% 24/7?

My second question is with adding the two new fans to the side panel will I be able to somehow hook them in with the other 3 fans so that when I press the LED button on the front panel the lights will turn off...I'll be using this in my dorm room and if I'm downloading stuff while I'm sleeping I dont want LED's lighting up my room. So if I can't I'll just use fans w/ no red LED

If you connect the side fans to the mobo, then you will experience a problem whenever you open the side panel. This is not recommended. If you want speed control install a fans speed controller in one of your front bays.

LED fans are cheap devices and do not come with elaborate controls. Just go for plain non-LED fans.

brianbuys

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
1. Those molex connectors are 4-pin so you can connect them to your motherboard's 3-Pin male plugs using cheap 4-3-Pin adapters w/ RPM sensor available anywhere. Motherboards usually keep fans spinning no matter what albeit at a lower RPM.
2. You can use y-splitters to connect multiple fans to a single power source. However, standard LED case fans have the LEDs connected to the same wires as the fan motor. So if you lower the power to the fan, you end up lowering the power to the LED. If it goes low enough, the LED will turn off. If the red LEDs in the scout case are connected separately and specifically to this LED button, then you will have a problem using the same button to turn on and off the LED fans.