Old MSI K9VGM-V Board not recognizing RAM

Nimby45

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I recently tried to upgrade the RAM in my computer from 2GB to 4GB. I purchased PNY 2GB PC2-6400 RAM x2 for the 2 slots available in my PC. I'm running a Windows Vista 32 bit OS. I know about the recognition of less than the 4GB on the OS and that it will only show or handle 3GB ish of ram.

In my BIOS it only shows up as 3GB (wtf) of ram when I have 2x2GB strips installed. Individually and in both slots it shows up and reads them correctly as 2GB each. The old RAM that I was using 2x1GB RAM installed is read correctly by my BIOS. They also work independantly.

When I open up my system information window it says 4GB of RAM are active on my 32 bit system. However my Task Manager only says I have 2GB of RAM installed. I have tried resetting my CMOS on my motherboard. I have run a Memtest on my ram. I increased the voltage to the RAM to 1.9v.

I have ordered new parts (mobo,RAM, Processor) however they wont be here until middle of next week. Is there anything else I can do to try and make this work?

Mobo: MSI K9VGM-V
RAM: PNY PC2-6400 x2
Pro: AMD 64 x2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80 GHz
GC: ATI Radeon HD 5570

I've been trying to solve this for a couple of weeks. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

[fixed]I purchased PNY 2GB PC2-6400 RAM x2 for the 2 slots available in my PC. I'm running a Windows Vista 32 bit OS. I know about the recognition of less than the 4GB on the OS and that it will only show or handle 3GB ish of ram. [/fixed]
[fixed]In my BIOS it only shows up as 3GB (wtf) of ram when I have 2x2GB strips installed. Individually and in both slots it shows up and reads them correctly as 2GB each. The old RAM that I was using 2x1GB RAM installed is read correctly by my BIOS. They also work independantly.

When I open up my system information window it says 4GB of RAM are active on my 32 bit system. However my Task Manager only says I have 2GB of RAM installed. I have tried resetting my CMOS on my motherboard. I have run a Memtest on my ram. I increased the voltage to the RAM to 1.9v.

I have ordered new parts (mobo,RAM, Processor) however they wont be here until middle of next week. Is there anything else I can do to try and make this work?[/fixed]
Sorry, but u have x32bit system and that will not post more than 3.25GB or so.

Than also the GPU will consume some.

So it is about right amount that will show available..

Nimby45

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
@scout_03

The board does work in dual channel with the RAM. I've had it working with 2x1GB strips of RAM up until I bought this new RAM to get it working. They still work fine when I have the 2x1GB strips installed and the RAM I purchased is compatible with the mobo. Plus it works and recognizes that I have the 2x2GB strips in there on my system information screen I just can't get it recognized anywhere else.

@Nikorr

I understand that the 32 bit system will only support about 3.25 GB of ram but then why is my BIOS only showing up as 3GB instead of 4? It shouldn't have the limitations of the OS since they are independant right? BIOS are updated to version 1.8

I just tried installing one of the 2GB and one of the 1GB of RAM. The 1GB RAM is Super Talent DDR2-800 PC6400. My system once again in properties recognizes 3GB of RAM installed but my Task Manager still says only 2GB are available. When I open up my MSConfig there is an option under Boot > Advanced Options to change the maximum memory. It is currently set to 2048. How do I change this to say 4096? or even 3072? Everytime I change it resets back to 2048 when I close the window or click anywhere else. It feels like this might be the key to my problem.

Nimby45

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I guess my biggest issue is then why is it only showing up in BIOS as 3GB of RAM instead of 4? I think that I should be able to see it in BIOS before Windows even starts right? Or do I have a chipset limitation of 3GB maybe?

DAVADAR

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I regret to inform you (truly regret, seeing as I have the same mommyboard and wanted to upgrade too) that the board's limit is 2GB. This is printed on the back of the box:
Dual-Channel DDR2
2DIMMs for dual-channel DDR2-800/667/533
up to 2GB