Sign in with
Your question

Compaq cq60 -211dx no boot up or display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 4:32:21 AM

Hello having a problem with my laptop itwill not boot up and load to the desk top i tried removing the ram sticks and swapping
them and was able to see screen light up but it remains to be a black screen i was using laptop one day and then suddenly displayed weird painted look then suddenly shut down is this a bad gpu and or does hp/compaq use a grphics card that can be changed to correct the problem when powering up laptop i do hear the fan running i'm also able to open the cd tray and usb ports are showing power to them not sure the hard drive is causing the problem please advise ..
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2011 4:55:28 PM

Have you connected to an external monitor and started the system? It may just be the on-board GPU or LCD backlight having a problem. Give it a shot and let the forum know the results.
January 20, 2011 1:33:43 AM

COLGeek said:
Have you connected to an external monitor and started the system? It may just be the on-board GPU or LCD backlight having a problem. Give it a shot and let the forum know the results.

Hello COLGeek I believe this to be the problem the GPU .However in response to the LCD backlighting when I removed one of the Memory sticks the( inner most bottom ramstick0 when I Rebooted the system I did see the screen light up I'm pretty sure that the battery is Bad I have left the laptop charge overnight but it did not charge the LED on the front of the laptop flashes on/off some times staying on longer than other times I heard the fan running some times it appears to be running at higher speeds tried to toggle FN+ 4 to external monitor but the external monitor shows no signal Would the GPU cause it not to boot up There appears to be power running through the MOBO. The CD door opens and the USB lights up a flash drive that I used to check for power is this a costly repair or should I Replace MOBO and would the Grahics problem cause the operating system not to boot and load up please advise and thankyou for you advice .
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
January 20, 2011 8:41:23 AM

The GPU is likely integrated into the motherboard, so the only way to fix the GPU is to replace the motherboard. Sounds like that may be your only solution. Good luck!

BTW, a failed GPU could keep the OS from booting, but it likely an indicator of a more serious problem. Like the motherboard being defective, in general.
!