Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorTom2011

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I have a friend with a computer using an ECS motherboard (ECS H67H2-M3). He bought this computer a few months ago and since the beginning he's been having this problem, Windows reboots itself out of the blue (no crashes, but random reboots).

He was suggested to upgrade the BIOS using their eBlu utility, he's never done it before (nor have I) and so he's afraid to break his computer.

I have a few questions about this:

1. Is it safe to upgrade the BIOS using the eBlu utility?
2. Do you have this same mobo and have had the same problem? if so, did you manage to fix it and how?
3. What is the best way to protect yourself before making a BIOS update?
4. Is it possible to restore a computer to its previous state if there's an error after the BIOS update?
5. Is there something else that could be causing this problem and not really the motherboard?

His specs:

Intel iCore 3 2100
2 GB RAM (brand don't know ATM, I can ask)
ECS H67H2-M3 Motherboard
Windows XP SP3

If you need any other details, please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Solution
the first thing you can try and do is fiddle with mem+cpu voltages. ECS has a notoriuos bios for showing improper voltages readings.

the PC rebooting - its actually BSOD'ing and then rebooting.
Have you tried to shut down the pc after bootup? if so , does it shut down properly or does it reboot?

check this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295475-30-h67h2-bsod#t2009367

before following steps, check:
the sticker on the ram for timings and voltages.
the stock voltage for the CPU

the build was for a friend so i forgot the max limit for the voltages on the 1155's, best to check before shooting your target :)
Might i ask, are there any other PC specs you can provide. because this may or may not be BIOS issues. but i had my computer do such before because of other reasons like power supply wasnt good enoug or Graphics card issues

MajorTom2011

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks for your replies. :)

According to my friend the RAM is Ceon (never heard of it until now). 2 GB.
The PSU is a 450W In Win (never heard of it either).

The computer isn't running a video card, it uses the graphics provided by the CPU.

Lutfij

Titan
the first thing you can try and do is fiddle with mem+cpu voltages. ECS has a notoriuos bios for showing improper voltages readings.

the PC rebooting - its actually BSOD'ing and then rebooting.
Have you tried to shut down the pc after bootup? if so , does it shut down properly or does it reboot?

check this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295475-30-h67h2-bsod#t2009367

before following steps, check:
the sticker on the ram for timings and voltages.
the stock voltage for the CPU

the build was for a friend so i forgot the max limit for the voltages on the 1155's, best to check before shooting your target :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.