Sign in with
Your question

How's the staying power?

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2011 8:07:11 PM

It's been 3 years since I've upgraded my PC at all and its about time I do some upgrades. It makes more sense for me to build a whole new rig then to upgrade my old one because I want to go from DDR2 to DDR3 and get a new processor, so I put something together on newegg and wanted to see what you guys think of it. My goal with this PC is to spend as little money as possible on something that will be able to max out Battlefield 3 when it comes out, and like my old system I don't want to have to make any upgrades on it for several years.

Here's the link to my newegg shopping cart:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/funkamental/newe...

Approximate Purchase Date: 3 weeks from now give or take a week.

Budget Range: Ideally I'd like to keep it around 800, but anything up to 950 is fine. My current cart is 931 dollars but I'd like to trim it down if possible.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (very important), programming, fraps video recording. Not sure which parts are used most for fraps recording, but this not extremely crucial to me.

Parts Not Required: I've got everything I need but the rig itself.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have ordered from newegg in the past and love it, but if the same parts can be found on another website at a price difference of 20 bucks or so I'd be happy to hear your suggestions.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I'm pretty partial to the Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge processor I've already picked out. I can't find a faster processor for that price, but if you can I'm all ears (Intel only, I had a terrible experience with AMD). If I'm going with the 2500k, that probably means I need to stick with an nVidia GPU since I couldn't find any Mobo's with a pci express 2.1 port AND a LGA 1155 socket type. I've only used nVidia my entire life but I'm open to suggestions.

Overclocking: Only if I can do it safely without having to buy a ton of after-market fans.

SLI or Crossfire: Eventually

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I don't like upgrading parts bit by bit, I'd much rather have a PC with the same set up for 3 years or more maybe with one minor tweek. The PC's staying power is key for me which is why I think investing a lot in the GPU is important, though I could be wrong. This rig has to be able to max out Battlefield 3 when it comes out. One of my main concerns is that my power supply is bundled with my case so I don't know how reliable it will be. I also don't know how reliable the mobo will be and if it will have enough room to SLI a bigger graphics card. Finally, should I get an aftermarket fan for the CPU or is that not needed?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your replies.
- Torgo

More about : staying power

March 23, 2011 8:10:01 PM

If your using the stock cooler, and unless you really want to use it, you probably don't need that AS5.
m
l
March 23, 2011 8:11:57 PM

Oh, and if you would ever want to OC, get a P67 1155 MB. If you're not OCing, then you could probably save by going with a 2500 non k CPU
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 8:15:12 PM

kilo_17 said:
Oh, and if you would ever want to OC, get a P67 1155 MB. If you're not OCing, then you could probably save by going with a 2500 non k CPU

I was planning on buying shogun 2 anyways so getting the K actually is saving me money.

How does this mobo look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 23, 2011 8:21:47 PM

You'll need two PCIe 16x ports for SLI or CF.
m
l
March 24, 2011 7:34:52 PM

thanks, I didn't notice that about that mobo initially. I think i'll stick with the one I picked then so I dont have to shell out another 50 bucks. Will this rig go together well and last a long time???
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:08:49 AM

It should work out, in my opinion. But, like I said before, if you want to take advantage of the unlocked-multiplier, go with a P67 board.
m
l
!