maxwellssilverhammer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hello, I am making my first custom pc and have so far found a case, motherboard with graphics and sound card and CPU. the case i am buying has a 450W power supply. the CPU i am using is the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor. i am also going to use between 6 and 8 GB of ram and i just wanted to know if the power supply will be enough. also not wanting to sound like an idiot but the case says it supports ATX motherboards and the one i am buying is micro-ATX. will this make any difference at all because i don't think it will but i don't want anything to go wrong with my first build

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
The micro-ATX probably fit in your case. There will just be a lot of room in it. :) You need to check the specs on the case so make sure. Some larger cases may not have the correct holes drilled for mounting micro-ATX boards.

Your graphics card is pretty much going to dictate what power supply you need. Let us know which graphics card and case you are going for and we can help you out.

maxwellssilverhammer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
After reading your reply and looking closely at my motherboard choice i realised how crap it actually was so i have found another better motherboard which you can look at here which isn't micro ATX which i will put a Phenom II X4 card in.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Crosshair-IV-Formula-PCI/dp/tech-data/B003F8SNBM/ref=de_a_smtd
the graphics card i am going to get will probably be the ATI Radeon™ HD 5670.
does the sound card effect the power in any way?
thanks

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Yes, but not as much as the graphics card. Once you've narrowed down your build, post all of your components (you can do it in links just like you have done) and we can help you pick out a power supply. You could also try the power supply subforums. They have a protocol for this sort of thing.

There is also a subforum for new builds where you can get a lot of good feedback on pretty much any "new build" questions. If you don't want to make a new post, I'm glad to help you here.

You could consider this case too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Three-Hundred-Midi-Case/dp/B0017Q8IAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308929374&sr=8-1

leon2006

Distinguished

Here's a tool to calculate your supply. You can validate the responses/recommendation you are getting. Get a known good brand such as corsair, seasonic... or Antec.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

maxwellssilverhammer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
wow I'm amazing by all your quick replies and i just want to say thanks so much. It's nice to have someone who knows completely what there doing. That case looks good and that link to the power supply calculator looks amazing. I never knew such things existed. just again thanks so much

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
You should use either 4GB or 8GB; not 6GB - the 6GB kits are for use in LGA1366 motherboards (for the Intel Core i7 9xx series CPUs).

The two main things that affect the power requirements are the CPU (somewhat) and the graphics card (a lot!). Sound card, hard drives, etc have minimal effect.

maxwellssilverhammer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

yeah I'm probably going to use 8gb now that I've review my choices and decided to spend a bit more to get the best I can.
I've almost finished choosing all of my equipment and I'll post a list of it all when I'm done.
Probably today or tomorrow.