Sound card + motherboard inputs?

lostark

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
This may be a newbie question but I searched the forums / google and couldn't find an answer. I recently ordered a sound card from newegg abd was wondering if after installing it if it will "take over" my motherboards audio inputs, or will I have to plug devices directly into the sound card to get its benefit? Thanks!

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
No the motherboard ports won't work but you'll have the sound cards ports that's the point of buying a sound card. You want to use the new card correct?I'm saying disable the non used motherboard device,as you can always enable it in the future if for some reason you need it .

lostark

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Alright thanks. I bought an Asus Xonar DG which only has 1 headphone port and a port to plug in my case's audio ports, which are on the front right above the optical drive, so I hate using them. I want to plug 2 pairs of headphones into my computer so I guess I'll have to live with it :(

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If all you wanted to do was use two pairs of headphones simultaneously, you could have just purchased a 1/8" stereo Y-adapter at Radio Shack for like $4 (or so) and plugged it into the existing jacks on the motherboard. There's no need to get a sound card to do it.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Gotcha lostark. Those are legitimate reasons.

As for those who believe lostark could use both audio cards, Windows won't allow two unique audio outputs, let alone two outputs from separate devices, to be active simultaneously. Even when dealing with a single sound card, you have to choose your playback device. With my HT-Omega Striker, I have analog speaker outputs, S/PDIF digital, and HDMI HD-audio via my ATI HD4890 card. Despite the analog and digital outputs being on the sound card, and the HDMI HD-audio on a completely separate device, only one of them can be active at any given time.