Sign in with
Your question

Only 30hz when connecting to TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 10:45:31 AM

I have an HIS HD 5850. Running Windows 7 64bit. It works fine when hooked up to my samsumg 21' LCD computer monitor via DVI.
I recently purchased a Samsung PS50C7000 plasma tv. It doesn't have a DVI input. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter plugged into the DVI output on the 5850 and the tv connected via this. The 5850 has an HDMI output but when I tried hooking up the tv through it i had a Few issues (this was about a month ago and cant remember the specific problem that caused me to go out and buy a the adapter but it fixed the problem at the time.)
When originally trying to get this set tup to work I discovered that anything above 30 Hz caused the tv to produce weird colours and terrible picture quality (terrible as in obviously not working properly). Samsung assures me the TV can handle 60hz from a PC and that it comes down to what the card can handle.
I dont know if this helps but when i turn on the pc, until it actually gets to the log in screen the image on the tv is as i have described above (when the screan should be black with the windows logo it is bright green with bands of distortion across it and the logo is unrecognizable.) once it gets to the log in screen it is normal.
While using the pc I am aware of the screen flickering (flickering is probably not the correct word is more a shimmer) which it dont notice when its not hooked up to the pc so I am assuming the 30hz is the cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : 30hz connecting

January 22, 2011 12:55:21 AM

77 views and nobody thinks they can help?
Do I need to provide more information?
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 1:16:28 AM

It might be a problem with your adapter (not the shimmering though that would be as you guessed the 30Hz). If you original problem was with black bars around the screen when using HDMI then that issue would be fixed by adjusting scaling options in CCC.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2011 1:53:04 AM

Im wondering if anybody else has an HD 5850 hooked up to a 1080p TV, going from DVI at the card to HDMI at the TV and if its working fine? (meaning they are getting say 1080p 60Hz . The TV is 3D and I believe it can do 1080p at 100Hz so I don't think the problem is on the TV side.

Even better if its an HIS card. That way at least i know the card should be able to do it.

Anybody??
m
l
a c 365 U Graphics card
a b x TV
January 24, 2011 2:18:39 AM

Have you tried....

1. Re-installing the current video driver that you are using?
2. Installing newer version of your video driver?
3. Revert back to an older video card driver version?
m
l
January 24, 2011 10:02:02 PM

OK, I fixed it. Turns out it was the HDMI cable. Its a bit weird because I have two of the same type of 10 meter cables and one is plugged into the PS3 and it shows everything no problem including 3D. Anyway i removed the one connected to the PC and connect a much shorter 3rd cable i have (and one I suspect is better quality) and got 60Hz 1080p straight away no problem.
Just goes to shows different HDMI cables do make a difference!!

m
l
July 4, 2012 7:56:44 PM

Dark Helmet said:
OK, I fixed it. Turns out it was the HDMI cable. Its a bit weird because I have two of the same type of 10 meter cables and one is plugged into the PS3 and it shows everything no problem including 3D. Anyway i removed the one connected to the PC and connect a much shorter 3rd cable i have (and one I suspect is better quality) and got 60Hz 1080p straight away no problem.
Just goes to shows different HDMI cables do make a difference!!

Interesting. My company uses an 80" LCD TV in one of its boardrooms and I could not get it to work using HDMI unless I dropped it down to 30Hz. I will suggest another cable to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for sharing this info.
m
l
!