Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2011 8:40:26 PM

Hi, I just did my first computer build and need some advice. Whats a good program to test my cpu temp? The bios setup on my asus p67 sabertooth shows 39 C idle but when using the asus monitoring program it shows 26-29 C. Im looking for something accurate. Also I would like to test its high temp limits to make sure my cooler is working properly. Im using a corsair H60 liquid cooler.

Is there also a good program to test video card temps under load ex. running a GTX570. Im going to be running some heavy graphics games. I used the pre-applied thermal paste that was on the H60 but I did also buy some artic silver. Should I remove cooler and apply the artic silver?

More about : 2500k temp

June 24, 2011 12:02:58 AM

Sounds like a powerfull machine for a first build!
I would think the asus monitoring program should be accurate enough. 39C would be quite hot for a 2500k, especially since you're using liquid cooling. Prime95 is a good program for stress testing. That'll jack up your cpu temp.
Well you're obviously not just browsing the net with a 570! lol. I don't know much else, since i'm new to building pc's.
If you go onto Intel live support, they will tell you the normal operation temperature for the 2500k, and probably suggest a program to test temperatures accurately.
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:46:03 AM

Is Real Temp a good program? I used it just now. Its saying 28-29 idle. Highest temp while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 is 45. Im not sure which to trust but 2 different programs are telling me 29 and my bios is saying 39-40. I dont get it. Ive got to get this thing ironed out before I try any over clocking which is why I bought the 2500k...

Here is my full system specs, and yes this thing rocks :D 

Cooler Master Elite 430
Asus P67 Sabertooth
Intel i5-2500k
EVGA GTX570 SC
Corsair 750 PSU
Corsair H60 Liquid CPU cooler
3 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm exhaust fan, 1 50mm motherboard assist fan. (computer sounds like an airplane)

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2011 12:46:46 AM

The temp in the BIOS will always be hotter because the CPU can't go into low-power idle mode until it fully boots into Windows.

Use a program like Core Temp for the individual core temps.

MSI's Afterburner program is a good one for GPU temp monitoring and overclocking.

Edit: Real Temp is also good for monitoring temps.
m
l
June 24, 2011 11:10:03 PM

I removed the factory thermal paste that came with the H60 and applied the Artic Silver 5. I dont notice any difference in temperatures. I ran a 5 minute stress test in Prime 95 and the highest temps it saw was 51 C. Is there anything I should be concerned about or am I ok? Ive got alot of money invested in this system so im a tad nervous lol I dont think I did too bad for my first computer build though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2011 11:41:26 PM

Lol. Not at all. 51 C for Prime 95 is excellent at stock speeds. Mine hits 70 C barely at 4.5 ghz. As long as your Prime 95 temps are around 75 C tops you'll be fine, since you will never get close to those temps in ordinary usage, even in high end games
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2011 11:45:58 PM

You should run Prime95 for an hour before recording a temp -- five minutes is nowhere near enough time for it to warm up to real operating temperatures.

It will take over 200 hours (over eight days) for the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to properly cure and give its best temps. They should decrease by a couple of degrees by the end of that time.
m
l
!