Epson PictureMate Printer and consumer digicams

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 12, 2005 2:20:35 PM

I got the PictureMate for the wife for Xmas and have to say that I'm very
dissappointed. While print results are superb, the paper size doesn't match
the ascpect ratio of our Canon A75, A95 or Coolpix 3200. We have to manually
crop every picture to avoid getting white borders at both ends of the print.
Printer works great for my *ist DS, but that is not what we got it for.

Have searched around and can find nor mention of this issue - am I the only
one with this concern, or am I missing something?

Can anyone recommend a similar photoprinter that will print at the correct
aspect ratio?

Thanks in advance!

Will
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:18:43 PM

"Will" <noboby@nunaya.biz> wrote in message
> I got the PictureMate for the wife for Xmas and have to say that I'm very
> dissappointed. While print results are superb, the paper size doesn't
match
> the ascpect ratio of our Canon A75, A95 or Coolpix 3200. We have to
manually
> crop every picture to avoid getting white borders at both ends of the
print.
> Printer works great for my *ist DS, but that is not what we got it for.
>
> Have searched around and can find nor mention of this issue - am I the
only
> one with this concern, or am I missing something?
>
> Can anyone recommend a similar photoprinter that will print at the correct
> aspect ratio?

Will:

There is no such thing as "the correct aspect ratio".
Consider: Your camera produces a 4:3 picture, just like 99% of all digital
cameras.
Your picture mate prints the popular 6x4 size, which is obviously 3:2, not
4:3.
But, if you sent your prints our for 5x3, that would be 5:3, not 4:3.
How about 7x5 prints? Of course not. That's 7:5.
Hmmm. 10x8? Nope. That's 5:4.

So, you see, not only don't your PictureMate and camera match, no two sizes
of common smaller prints match! Now, have you ever wondered about printing
from your old 35mm camera? Have you measured the negative size to see
what it's aspect ratio is? No matter what the 35mm aspect really is, we can
see that it can only match one paper size, *at most*. Clearly,
developer/printers
have been cropping 35mm pictures all these years.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]