Sign in with
Your question

Massive temp difference between motherboards

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2011 10:12:07 PM

Last summer I purchased an hp p6510y that I upgraded to a decent gaming pc. Recently, I bought a gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 to complete the transition to a custom pc. The hp foxcon "aloe" motherboard ran the fan on the stock heatsink so low I could only hear it if I maxed out the CPU, and then it was only running at 56C with the fan turning 3600RPM in amd overdrive. With the gigabyte board, I can hear the fan all the time, but the core temp at max load in amd overdrive is 58C with the fan turning 6000RPM. The gigabyte easytune utility reports a temp of 50C when this is happening. Everything else is the same as far as I can tell, same speed and voltage.

What would make core temps so different between two motherboards?
a c 162 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 10:22:45 PM

Did you do a fresh application of the CPU cooler with new thermal paste? If not, the paste isnt transferring heat to the heatsink as well so your temps are higher and increasing the fan RPMs doesnt help as much since the heatsink isnt getting as hot.
June 23, 2011 10:28:01 PM

I cleaned both the heat sink and CPU with 91% isopropyl alcohol and applied fresh arctic silver 5. I know it takes something like 300 hours to "cure", but the fan shouldn't have to work that hard.

EDIT: Nevermind, amd overdrive just magically fixed its self. I guess it just hadn't calibrated its self yet.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2011 6:00:25 PM

Obviously you didn't re-install windows after installing a new mobo, which is a noob mistake. If you had done that, you would have had to install your new chipset drivers and gpu drivers, which would have installed a fresh AMD overdrive that would have immediately recognized your cpu and temps.

You ALWAYS re-install Windows when replacing a motherboard. I'm surprised you don't have other conflicting driver issues.
June 24, 2011 6:41:55 PM

It's a fresh install. I went from a single drive to a raid 5 setup with 3 500GB drives, no choice but to reinstall. I'm no noob, but the last pc I built was a watercooled athlon xp-m running at 2.75GHz back in 2005. Since then I have been using laptops and a dell e521 I found in a trash closet in the dorms.

It's an issue with AMD overdrive. After downloading every temp monitoring program I could find, I discovered that AMD overdrive is the only one that reports different. Even then, after resuming from sleep it reports the same as HWmonitor and coretemp.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2011 2:31:49 PM

So if you used 10 other programs and AMD overdrive was the only one reporting different, why not just use one of the other programs??
June 25, 2011 2:43:21 PM

I am now. I was just very confused as to why AMD overdrive was reading better than 10C high at load. I had been using it for about a year prior and never had a problem.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2011 3:24:16 PM

HW monitor is the way to go.
!