Uncle Mike

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I recently put my new pc together and im not getting any sound out of my little surround sound setup. I have msi's 785gm-p45 mobo. what im guessing is the audio cable in my case has two plugs, one says hd udio, and the other says something like ac 98'. can someone tell me exactly where to plugs these in at on my mobo. thank you.

You haven't provided quite enough information.

What is your surround sound setup and what inputs does it use (TOSLINK is one example; multiple analog wires is another).

You should read your motherboard manual and your surround sound manual. If you don't physically have one you can download them usually.

I'd be glad to help if you provide more information.

About MY setup:
1. My surround sound setup is 5.1 and requires three analog cables (green, black and orange)

2. If I used the motherboard audio (I use an addon card) I'd be using the Realtek HD Audio output. I also have, but don't use, digital audio outputs (used for better audio receivers such as ones that Sony has; actually Sony has an awesome $300 model with HDMI inputs to link BluRay, Cable/Satellite etc to a TV and Surround Sound speakers).

3. I simply connect the three cables

4. The proper drivers must be installed (for Realtek HD Audio it's best to get them directly from Realtek's website).http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

5. If you have multiple audio outputs you need to ensure the correct one is enabled. Right-click the audio icon (lower-right in System Tray) and select "playback devices").