Sign in with
Your question

Problems with i5 2500k build. Please help!

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2011 10:23:52 PM

I recently received all my parts for my i5 2500k build. I put it all together last night. I have the asus p8p67 pro and the red "problem" led's are blinking sometimes for my ram, and sometimes for my boot device, but always on my cpu. Is it my motherboard or processor or something else. I would just like your opinion on what it might be. Thanks

More about : problems 2500k build

March 23, 2011 10:54:52 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
I recently received all my parts for my i5 2500k build. I put it all together last night. I have the asus p8p67 pro and the red "problem" led's are blinking sometimes for my ram, and sometimes for my boot device, but always on my cpu. Is it my motherboard or processor or something else. I would just like your opinion on what it might be. Thanks

Hiya,

I am interested in your problem.
Can you give me a URL on this "Red problem".
I also own an Asus P8P67 Pro - one of the B3 versions with version 1305 BIOS.

Is your board a B3?
What version BIOS does it have installed?
Can you explain the PC's behaviour on 1 line or 2? i.e. how far is it getting through the boot process?
I am happy to help you sort the problem if you like, as I'm interested to understand this "red problem" you have mentioned.

m
l
March 23, 2011 11:01:14 PM

the asus board has multiple led's on them. they show if there is a problem on any of the parts (cpu, ram, graphics card). I haven't gotten my computer to even tirn on because the motherboard detects a problem with it. right now as we speak it does not even turn on it starts up for about a second then it turns off. yes it is the b3 revision and it has the uefi bios if that is what you are asking
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 11:10:50 PM

also when you hold down the memok buttton what is it supposed to do if everything is working properly?
m
l
March 24, 2011 12:01:09 AM

Right.

Got you.

Stupid question #1)
Do you have access to another computer that could be used to test your DDR3 memory?

And if the answer to that is "yes", do you have you have access to another SandyBridge PC for testing the Processor?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be "no", but it's worth asking just in case.

Regarding the MemOK button - actually I didn't know the answer (as I have never used it), but apparently, this is what it's used for:

The MemOK button we all know of course, MEMOK! enables the motherboard to boot up successfully even if there might be some compatibility issues between the motherboard and the memory. All you have to do, is to simple hold the MemOK! button till the red LED begins to blink to ask motherboard to take the charge of self-memory patching process, and fix the memory compatibility before your very own eyes, till the system finally able to boot up without loosing your BIOS/EFI settings.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-p8p67-deluxe-motherb...

m
l
March 24, 2011 12:02:55 AM

What sort of Memory are you using?

Please provide the brand, model and details - if you have the brand and model number, that should be fine.
m
l
March 24, 2011 3:55:27 AM

your right no for both questions. i have the corsair xms3 1600mhz ddr3 memory
m
l
March 24, 2011 8:32:56 PM

So which memory slots are you using on the board?
A1, A2, B1, B2 etc

What speed is the memory being run at with the current settings - i.e. what is the speed listed for the memory in BIOS during the POST sequence - it will display the memory's speed in MHz. I am curious if it's being run at 1600 MHz or a lower speed.

If it's not being run a the proper speed, you could try enabling XMP in BIOS and see if that corrects the problem. I had to enable XMP to get my DDR3 2000 Memory running at the correct speed.

Also try running the memory at 1333 MHz and see if how it behaves at that speed (assuming you haven't already).

Have a read of this thread on another forum - not necessarily your problem, but similiar:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1579085

Here's another similar issue too:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036831271

Have you tried running the computer with just 1 memory DIMM installed?
If not, try that too. Start the machine up in sequence with 1 DIMM installed and test each DIMM in each memory slot and see if you get the same behaviour. Basically doing this will confirm if you have a problem with all your memory slots and both DIMMs or if your problem is due to one particular part or a specific combination. Test in each DIMM in the A1 & A2 slots should be sufficient, but if you do that, you may as well test the others too.

There's a few ideas.
If none of the above helps, then my next move would be to try and get hold of another memory DIMM and test that.

If you can get the machine through the BIOS POST sequence, with any of the above, then I would stress test your memory using MemTest X86 (bootable ISO, doesn't require an operating system to be installed - very small download - i.e. a couple of MB).

m
l
March 25, 2011 3:40:49 AM

I like the idea of trying with some other parts but the first thing I would do is remove ALL the components and power connectors and reassemble. A poorly seated memory stick can cause havoc for example.

m
l
March 25, 2011 4:55:49 AM

Good point.
I'd kind of assumed the poster had tried that, but yep, if you haven't try re-seating the DIMMs first.
m
l
March 26, 2011 1:13:43 AM

i havent even gotten it to boot up. havent even gotten a picture and tried all of that memory stuff.
m
l
March 26, 2011 2:43:54 AM

No, what we are saying is that your memory sticks may not be properly/fully inserted. If they are not properly installed you won't be able to boot up. The same goes for the CPU. I would pull them out and reinstall.

Also, double check your power connectors to the motherboard, cpu fan, etc.

Let us know what you are trying.

m
l
March 26, 2011 10:36:05 PM

my memory was fine so was my cpu i called asus they finally said after 4 calls that it was their motherboard
m
l
!