It's there right now, on a shelf 10 feet behind and above me, collecting dust. If it had any awareness it would likely be a bit nervous because I'm spring cleaning and it's on my list.
It's the retail box of my Corsair 750TX PSU.
You probably think that's a little dramatic on my part but the truth is there are a few of these types of things floating around here, and each one of them is this long-term unanswered question in my mind: "What am I supposed to do with this?"
Each year my cleaning ends with these little failures, these little (or large) unresolved boxes. It's not just computer parts of course. There's a car stereo box here as well and I'm pretty sure some of those drawers over there have other things in them that need to be dealt with.
The point I would like to make here is that, whether you choose to throw away those boxes or not, if you are anything at all like me you might benefit just knowing what you are supposed to do with them.
Digging through every support site of every company is a huge task of course, but just the few I have done here reveal some surprising trends. It seems original packaging is not the requirement I had imagined. Most companies are not so fussy.

Here then is my partial list of RMA shipping requirements. If you like it I might be persuaded to add to the list:

PROCESSORS

Intel Processors
Boxed: 3 years, once RMA is approved you must ship the processor in original or equivalent packaging.
References
Intel warranty
Intel Q&A
Additionally, I contacted Intel support to find out what constitutes equivalent packaging. I was told that (paraphrasing) "wrapped securely in bubble wrap and placed in a sturdy cardboard box" would be considered sufficient.

OEM: OEM processors are not covered by warranty from Intel. Your only recourse is whatever warranty was provided by the reseller.

AMD Processors
Boxed: I got this from an RMA document I found on line and needs verification:
"* Make sure that the CPU is packed in original plastic cover (Only the original cover protects your product well enough during transport). Damage caused by transport due to improper packaging may result in loss of warranty.
* Make sure the product is packed with valid AMD Heat sink. In absence of valid AMD Heat Sink, then the acceptance of RMA part is at the discretion of AMD."

OEM: Unboxed or OEM AMD processors are not under warranty by AMD.

Motherboards:

Asus
One section of the Asus website will tell you to contact the seller for any return. However, digging around resulted in this page, which applies to RMAs in North America.
"We recommend 2 inches of padding around the product itself. You must package the product in a box. Any envelopes will be rejected at time of delivery. We do not recommend shipping in the original carton, as it will not be returned or replaced. "

MSI
MSI General Warranty Policies
"Use original package when possible, if packing more than one product, please use a separate container for each product. MSI may return the repaired units in separate shipments, or you may request MSI hold all the units for a single shipment, please contact Customer Service to request it.

The defective MSI product must be mailed inside of a box with either foam or bubble wrap to avoid physical damage to the product during shipping."

Gigabyte
RMA Policies
"RMA number must be written visibly on the outside box
Electrostatic bag is recommended to protect product from ESD(electro static discharge) influences during shipping
Package contents securely to prevent possible shipping damages. Double boxing is required. GIGABYTE is not responsible for shipping damage."
-Like Asus, DO NOT SEND original box as it will not be returned.

PSUs

Corsair
"Whenever possible, the original packaging material should be used to pack the product for return; if the original packaging is not available, you should use packing materials that provide the same or greater protection to the product. All packages that arrive with any external damage which could affect the contents, or appear inadequately packed, will be refused and returned to the sender at the sender's expense."
ref http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty

Seasonic
"All returns should be packaged in its original or similar box and packaging materials. "
ref http://www.seasonicusa.com/RMABeta/Default.htm

OCZ
"Please use good discretion when packaging your return items so we can ensure damage was not incurred during shipping. Memory modules must be placed in an anti-static bag with several inches of soft packing around the entire memory module. Please include all additional hardware that was included with your product in the return box(cords, connectors, etc)."
ref http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/customer-faqs/

GPUs

Sapphire

They have an RMA process however at this writing I'm still not clear on packaging. It's probably best to hang onto those boxes though :)

XFX
Whatever the XFX procedure involves is hidden with a members-only requirement.

Asus
See the motherboard section. RMA shipping is identical.

tecmo34

Administrator
I had to RMA a MSI LGA 775 SLI board once and I sent it back in my original box. They sent it back to me in an AMD box, so when I first opened the UPS package, I thought they sent me the wrong motherboard. I was so made until about five minutes later when I realized it was the right motherboard :lol:.

My top shelf in our closet (Wife & I's) is full of all my computer part boxes. I think I have a few boxes for parts I don't even have :D I'm so bad that I have the box for my 6yrs $6 InHand keyboard I picked up from Microcenter. Like I'm ever going to RMA or return that board when it goes bad.

Well... darn you Proximon!! Now you got me wanting to do my "spring" cleaning on old unneeded boxes :lol:

I'm a college student and a quarter of my closet is dedicated to boxes. Luckily, almost all of them fit in my huge Raven RV02 box ;) Unfortunately, when I move from my dorm to my apartment, I have to take all of these with me haha

This article made me think ... do I need to keep the wife's wedding dress and shoes now?

Its been 22 years ...

I am sure the parents won't take her back now ... I quizzed them about the RMA and they said "Driveway" warranty.

I swear her last name was PCChips ...

<sigh>

TRENDING THREADS