paulhennessy1986

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hey guys

Ive been looking online for days and reading reviews and forums here, basically i want to buy a bundle kit for an upgrade
but i cant decide between and amd setup or intel, im dealing in euro's here but i was looking at

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-amd-ultimate-bundle--includes-m4a77t-motherboard--phenom-ii-x4-955---4gb-ddr3--2x2gb--memory--70ZM.html

or

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-performance-bundle--inc--p8h61-m-lx2-motherboard--intel-core-i3-2100---4gb-ddr3-memory--7J0Z.html?q=i3%202100

Im trying to stay in around the 200 euro mark for ram cpu and motherboard. i use it for everything from photoshop to gaming, im one of those guys who seems to use every app on their pc, i used to be a hardcome gammer but haven got a good pc in years but have a feeling i might be getting back into it, Cant decide basically because speed of the i3 v the real quad cores,

Id love to get an i5 but a simular bundle is nearly 400 euro which i cant afford.

any ideas??

cheers from ireland!

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The two packages are fairly evenly matched. The i3 will perform better in games, but I honestly believe that the 955 will perform better in anything that is multithreaded. To add to it, the multiplier on the 955 is unlocked, while the i3 is not (only the K series processors have unlocked multipliers), so you have a higher potential of squeezing more performance out the of the 955.

You can always get the i3 bundle and plan on upgrading to an i5 or i7 later on down the line when you have more money.

If you get the 955 to 4 Ghz (which is easily done on air), then you will have a fairly good system for a while yet. It's too bad the bundle doesn't include an AM3+ mainboard, since you would then at least have an upgrade path with the BD processors on the horizon.

Good luck and I hope you can make a choice. Right now, going to get some Jameson in a tumbler with ice...you got me jones'en for Irish whiskey ;-)

paulhennessy1986

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
if i went for an amd set up what would be the best chip to get to overclock? im not too worried about future proof as im gonna use this for a few months or so and likely get an i7 set up when i can afford it and give this to my dad and it would last him a few years for just using the net etc

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The AMD bundle you listed actually has the best Phenom II (955) for overclocking, since it has an unlocked multiplier. You take a certain risk with x3, and even if you do unlock the core, you are never assured that you will get a decent overclock. The price difference to get the 955 is negligible, so get it and push for 4-4.5 Ghz. You won't be disappointed.