Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build (Gaming PC)

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 24, 2011 1:42:27 AM

Hi all,

I've decided to build a new gaming PC. My main concern is ensuring all the part's I'm selecting are compatible and these parts don't have known issues or overly complicated in setup. As this is my first build, if you think I'm starting in the deep end, please let me know.

Approximate Purchase Date: March 25 - April 1

Budget Range: 1300-1700 CAN $

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, OS, monitor, CPU fan - will re-use what I have now (Freezer XTREME Rev. 2)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Toronto,Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

Monitor Resolution:1440x900

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 3.3GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDE00ZFBGRBOX)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Motherboard
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Memory
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Graphics
ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CD/DVD Drive
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Power Supply
Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...


Thanks

More about : build gaming

March 24, 2011 5:01:19 AM

Hi there,
I suggest getting a larger monitor to suit the HD 6970 otherwise it would be a waste of power. And are you sure 120Gb is all you need? Because Windows 7 will take up round about 30-40Gb, I suggest buying a 40Gb SSD and a 1Tb HDD, one for OS and one for Programs and Storage.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 6:48:57 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288 <----- 1090T vs 2500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.95 FREE SHIPPING
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Suppl

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... $219.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... $139.99
ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682... $96.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99 - $129.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
m
0
l
Related resources
March 24, 2011 10:37:18 AM

Martin9630 said:
Hi there,
I suggest getting a larger monitor to suit the HD 6970 otherwise it would be a waste of power. And are you sure 120Gb is all you need? Because Windows 7 will take up round about 30-40Gb, I suggest buying a 40Gb SSD and a 1Tb HDD, one for OS and one for Programs and Storage.


I'll be using the SSD for the OS and programs only with another hard drive for storage. I do plan on getting a larger monitor in the future, but for now or until I see a great deal I'll be sticking with my current monitor.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 1:24:54 PM

Honestly for me going from your same monitor to a 1920x1080 was fantastic. Look for deals every week and snag one when you can, otherwise much of your system's potential will be wasted.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 3:26:16 PM

Here's a build that allows you to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's for SLI. The build includes a LED back lit monitor, 2500K cpu, after market cpu h/s, etc...

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38039&vpn=SGC-2000-KKN1-G... $90.98 CAD
Coolermaster Storm Scout Black ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT 120MM & 140MM Red LED Fan No PSU

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=26415&vpn=CMPSU-750TX&man... $89.99 CAD Savings Code 26415-1302. SAVE $25.00 off our regular price of $114.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 03/30/2011
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59092&vpn=P67A-GD55%20%28... $160.91 CAD After Mail In Rebate: $140.91 CAD
MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3 Motherboard

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... $219.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53611&vpn=CAFA50&manufact... Instant Rebate: - $30.00 CAD Valid from Mar 22, 2011 to Mar 29, 2011.
Our Price: $29.99 CAD
Corsair Cooling Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler LGA775 LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57952&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-4G... $52.51 CAD
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58303&vpn=N560GTX-TI%20Tw... $249.99 CAD
Savings Code 58303-1302. SAVE $30.00 off our regular price of $279.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 03/30/2011
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49597&vpn=DRW-24B1ST%20Bu... $27.99 CAD
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52888&vpn=WD6402AAEX&manu... $69.62 CAD
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53467&vpn=ET%2EWS1HP%2E00... Instant Rebate: - $40.00 CAD Valid from Mar 09, 2011 to Mar 31, 2011. Our Price: $169.99 CAD
Acer S211HL 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1920X1080 LED Backlit 12000000:1 5ms VGA DVI HDMI

Total: $1,161.96 CAD *not including shipping, mail in rebates, etc..


* Need Windows ?...

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45271&vpn=GFC-00599&manuf... $123.98 CAD
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 11:07:29 PM

Not much as changed. I've added a second hard drive for storage plus a monitor that user Why_Me pointed out which I might get. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 3.3GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDE00ZFBGRBOX) - $239.00 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 00ZFBGRBOX

Motherboard
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $149.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] -_-Product

Memory
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - $98.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 3M2A1600C9

Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $195.00 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6820227395

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $99.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Graphics
ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $384.99 (price match) - NCIX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] pk=EAH6970

CD/DVD Drive
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM - $20.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6827135204

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $129.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811129097

Power Supply
Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] %20TPQ-850 - $149.99 (price match) - NCIX

Monitor
Acer S211HL 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1920X1080 - $169.99 - NCIX
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 11:24:43 PM

darkseid390 said:
Not much as changed. I've added a second hard drive for storage plus a monitor that user Why_Me pointed out which I might get. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 3.3GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDE00ZFBGRBOX) - $239.00 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 00ZFBGRBOX

Motherboard
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $149.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] -_-Product

Memory
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - $98.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 3M2A1600C9

Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $195.00 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6820227395

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $99.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Graphics
ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $384.99 (price match) - NCIX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] pk=EAH6970

CD/DVD Drive
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM - $20.99 - Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6827135204

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $129.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811129097

Power Supply
Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] %20TPQ-850 - $149.99 (price match) - NCIX

Monitor
Acer S211HL 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1920X1080 - $169.99 - NCIX

I'm just curious as to why someone would take the time to start a thread on this forum in regards to advice on a new build with a budget of $1,700 CAD and continue to go with that AMD set up after peeps on here have shown why that cpu is a dead end dog with zero upgrade path, not to mention it's a sucky cpu to begin with.

It's like a race car driver coming to a NASCAR forum and saying they have a big budget to buy a new race car, but they want to buy a slow mediocre race care that's guaranteed to suck with a capital "S".

At least you took the time to start a thread on this board.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 11:56:09 PM

Why_Me said:
I'm just curious as to why someone would take the time to start a thread on this forum in regards to advice on a new build with a budget of $1,700 CAD and continue to go with that AMD set up after peeps on here have shown why that cpu is a dead end dog with zero upgrade path, not to mention it's a sucky cpu to begin with.

It's like a race car driver coming to a NASCAR forum and saying they have a big budget to buy a new race car, but they want to buy a slow mediocre race care that's guaranteed to suck with a capital "S".

At least you took the time to start a thread on this board.



I've used AMD before and never had an issue with them. As this is my first build I picked the parts partly due to past experience.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 12:12:21 AM

darkseid390 said:
I've used AMD before and never had an issue with them. As this is my first build I picked the parts partly due to past experience.

I was using AMD back when the Thunderbird was the cpu to have. I like to game, and I don't like flushing my money down the toilette so I go with what's best out there atm. If you want to race a car and win with it, you don't stick with the car you always drove in the past if it's slow...you go with the car that has the speed to win.

That Sandy Bridge cpu is the fastest out there bar none. That 1090T doesn't even come close. If the 1090T goes 120kph, the SB does 200+kph. Not only that but there's an actual upgrade path with the Sandy Bridge (new 22nm Ivy Bridge due out next year) as to being no upgrade path with that 1090T.

If I was a gamer, the last thing I would want is to have your budget and spend my $$$ on a build that's mediocre at best. I'm not trying to be a jerk on here, I'm just trying to give you the best advice possible on here...and I'm guessing you started a thread on this board for some advice.

*down below are three reputable reviews on the Sandy Bridge cpu's

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

http://guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-260...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288 <----- 1090T vs 2500K
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 1:20:11 AM

Why_Me said:
I was using AMD back when the Thunderbird was the cpu to have. I like to game, and I don't like flushing my money down the toilette so I go with what's best out there atm. If you want to race a car and win with it, you don't stick with the car you always drove in the past if it's slow...you go with the car that has the speed to win.

That Sandy Bridge cpu is the fastest out there bar none. That 1090T doesn't even come close. If the 1090T goes 120kph, the SB does 200+kph. Not only that but there's an actual upgrade path with the Sandy Bridge (new 22nm Ivy Bridge due out next year) as to being no upgrade path with that 1090T.

If I was a gamer, the last thing I would want is to have your budget and spend my $$$ on a build that's mediocre at best. I'm not trying to be a jerk on here, I'm just trying to give you the best advice possible on here...and I'm guessing you started a thread on this board for some advice.

*down below are three reputable reviews on the Sandy Bridge cpu's

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

http://guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-260...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288 <----- 1090T vs 2500K


That's why I posted here. :)  I looking for the criticism since I'm stepping into something brand new for me.

My new build is centred around Intel 2500K

CPU - changed
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - $219.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Motherbroad - changed- this is my main concern in that I really don't know too much about motherbroads.
ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX - $149.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $119.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Video Card - changed
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $349.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Power Supply
Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC - $149.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

RAM - changed
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 - $146.99

Hard drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $195.00
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $99.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

CD/DVD Drive
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R ... 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - $20.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...


m
0
l
!