Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU upgrade for Dell Studio XPS 7100

Last response: in Components
June 24, 2011 2:42:11 AM

I've scoured these threads and I see a lot of PSU advice, but I'm still not getting the exact info I need. So, I thought I would try here as well.

I want to upgrade my PSU (which is the 460w OEM Dell), but I don't know exactly what to get, or rather, what I safely can get. Dell "Tech Support" has given me some conflicting info about upgrading it ("not advised"), and I'm now afraid to mess with it. I was hoping to get about a 650-800 watt quailty PSU for a graphics card upgrade from my 5770 (which I plan to do in about 4 months).

But- I have been told that "some" Dell PSU's are proprietary (mostly older ones, but some newer ones too, which really doesn't help), and if you try and connect a standard ATX PSU to your system, and it's proprietary- it could fry your RAM, your motherboard, or even my AMD 1090t. I ordered a PSU (Dell model N650P-00 NPS-650AB D 650w ), but now a tech from a local computer repair place has told me this PSU came from an older XPS 600 tower, and it's connectors are different from my XPS 7100's and are NOT compatible. It's not that it would fry it, it just won't work he said. He said he can try some different adapters, but then you do run the risk of cooking or zapping components again, and that would be "on me." Not good.

It has become an exersize in futility trying and figure out what PSU I can safely put in this thing. Everyone keeps telling me they are sure, but they are also telling me different things. So...who is right? Usually you only have to worry about whether it will physically fit into your case, but now I have to worry about (at the least) if it just won't work, or (at the most) it will totally destroy my system. Crap!

Can anyone out there tell me exactly what 650 - 800 watt quality PSU I can get for my new Studio XPS 7100? Please?

Hey I'm just an ignorant newbie here, and I'm just getting into computers - so please help and be gentle.

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 3:16:53 AM

hapkiman said:
I've scoured these threads and I see a lot of PSU advice, but I'm still not getting the exact info I need. So, I thought I would try here as well.

I want to upgrade my PSU (which is the 460w OEM Dell), but I don't know exactly what to get, or rather, what I safely can get. Dell "Tech Support" has given me some conflicting info about upgrading it ("not advised"), and I'm now afraid to mess with it. I was hoping to get about a 650-800 watt quailty PSU for a graphics card upgrade from my 5770 (which I plan to do in about 4 months).

But- I have been told that "some" Dell PSU's are proprietary (mostly older ones, but some newer ones too, which really doesn't help), and if you try and connect a standard ATX PSU to your system, and it's proprietary- it could fry your RAM, your motherboard, or even my AMD 1090t. I ordered a PSU (Dell model N650P-00 NPS-650AB D 650w ), but now a tech from a local computer repair place has told me this PSU came from an older XPS 600 tower, and it's connectors are different from my XPS 7100's and are NOT compatible. It's not that it would fry it, it just won't work he said. He said he can try some different adapters, but then you do run the risk of cooking or zapping components again, and that would be "on me." Not good.

It has become an exersize in futility trying and figure out what PSU I can safely put in this thing. Everyone keeps telling me they are sure, but they are also telling me different things. So...who is right? Usually you only have to worry about whether it will physically fit into your case, but now I have to worry about (at the least) if it just won't work, or (at the most) it will totally destroy my system. Crap!

Can anyone out there tell me exactly what 650 - 800 watt quality PSU I can get for my new Studio XPS 7100? Please?

Hey I'm just an ignorant newbie here, and I'm just getting into computers - so please help and be gentle.

Thanks

That's crap.

Can you see the model of your 460W PSU?, from what I see your rig looks like a rig with an ATX PSU, so, any ATX PSU can fit inside and handle the rig. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic and XFX are very good manufacturers.

Check this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
June 24, 2011 3:22:15 AM

I have a 650 watt PSU for sale.. only used it for 1 year. I upgraded because i needed to for my other components.
Score
Related resources
June 24, 2011 3:55:04 AM

saint19 said:
That's crap.

Can you see the model of your 460W PSU?, from what I see your rig looks like a rig with an ATX PSU, so, any ATX PSU can fit inside and handle the rig. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic and XFX are very good manufacturers.

Check this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

It says:
AcBel Rev A00 Date B1023 Model PC9004 ID 2406
Total power max 460w
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 4:01:20 AM

That's not the best PSU, so, one of those XFX in the link can work without problems.
Score
a c 89 ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 9:34:21 AM

What are you upgrading to? That 460W should be good enough to run most GPUs considering what their 360W can do.

The results when I looked for the 460W showed a slim PSU. I got no results looking for the AcBel PC9004. If you have a slim Dell (I didn't see where you listed your model number) then you need to find a slim PSU.
Score
June 24, 2011 10:58:12 AM

Looking at the Radeon HD 5870 or 6870 for the upgrade. And no it's not the slim PSU - it looks square. As close as I could get to measuring it I got 3 1/2" tall x 5 3/4" x 5 3/4".

So is it true then that most graphic card requirements are overstated by mfg? I know a 500 watt+ PSU is recommended for both the 5770 and the 5870 by AMD, but I didn't want to take a chance with the 5870, and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of power to spare.

I still will need to upgrade the PSU at some point, even if I try to get by for now with the 460w (and yes I realize it's only a medium quality PSU, although Dell tech support told me that Dell PSU's are way under rated, and the 460 is really a 500+), so I still want to be certain what I can put in it and would like at min. the 650, and probably should even get more.

So, is the info about some Dell PSU's being proprietary true or not? And if it's true, how can I be sure mine is just a standard ATX form factor?

And hey guys, I do appreciate the info.

And that link looks like a pretty decent one Saint.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 11:30:57 AM

hapkiman said:
Dell tech support told me that Dell PSU's are way under rated, and the 460 is really a 500+

They are not under rated.
They are rated by thier max continuous output as opposed to thier peak output, like most generic units.
It's the high 12v output that led to the idea that they are under rated. ( the 460 is a bit of an anomally here in that it's only rated for 32a, a decent 500w will have 34 or more )
Example;
Dell 375w psu has a 12v output of 30 amps
Antec 430w psu has a 12v output of 30 amps
Oh, the Dell must be underrated because it has as much 12v output as a 430 watt psu
No, the Dell can't do more than it's rating, it can power a similar system ( will be under more stress ) because it has the output available to the 12v

PS; Saints modular reccomendation would be a good choice
Score

Best solution

a c 89 ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 11:33:25 AM

I'm not sure I'd say the requirements are overstated by the GPU mfg, but they do state higher then whats needed to make up for those PSU mfg's who lie about what their PSU can output. As long as you have a good PSU, what you really need is often less then you think. AMD says you need a 30A/450W PSU if you run the 4850. In another thread I showed a normal system with a 4850 would need ~275W, or 22A on the 12V rail. 25A if you want a cushion. AMD isn't lying, they're just trying to take the diablotek units into account.

I haven't heard of any proprietary PSUs from Dell since the days of the P3. When they started producing P4's they went back to normal ATX PSU. TBH I don't follow Dell so they could have used special PSUs again without me knowing.
June 26, 2011 7:05:21 PM

Thanks for all the help. Went with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hopefully I'll be able to manage all the cables since its not modular (about the only complaint with it). Has very good ratings, and return policy if you get a lemon.

Plus a smoking 12V rail.
Score
June 27, 2011 2:47:45 AM

Best answer selected by hapkiman.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2011 4:50:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!