Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC to Samsung TV connection problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 6:13:30 PM

Hello,

I have had my computer hooked up to my tv for quite some time, one day I went to use it and the display on the samsung tv stayed black when the cord was plugged in. I assumed it was a problem with the cord and bought a new one.

However, I am still having the same problem with the new cord! Help! Did settings get switched around somehow? I am not very tech savvy so I'm not sure how to check this, it just "magically" worked the first time!
January 19, 2011 6:25:01 PM

There could easily be a couple problems. It could be your video card in the PC died. It could be the TV died. Or, it could be EXTREMELY simple and you just need to change the Video Input setting on the TV (this tells the TV which video input/plug to use).

Questions for you:
1) Does your PC have another monitor? If so, do you get a picture there?
2) Do you have anything else connected to this TV? If so, do you get a picture from other components? (i.e. DVD player, VCR, Satellite TV, etc)
3) What type of "cable" are you using to connect the PC to the TV? (HDMI, VGA, DVI, S-Video, 'RCA' red, white, yellow)
Score
January 19, 2011 10:08:48 PM

1) No, I don't have another monitor.
2) Nothing else is connected to the tv. However, it still displays the "PC" box which tells me what the source is. After that though, it just stays black and the light and the bottom (blue light on samsung) keeps blinking. When it is displaying/reading something, usually the light just stays on. Also, I don't have cable but if I change over to regular tv, it still displays the fuzz.
3) The cable is a VGA "Male to male" cord, and I use a separate audio cord for sound.

So I am not sure! I'm stumped!
Score
Related resources
January 19, 2011 10:35:29 PM

Also, I fiddled with my resolution settings and clicked "extend desktop onto this monitor" and now there is a display on the tv of my desktop background only...not what is showing on my computer screen (which is what I want!) How do I get this?
Score
January 20, 2011 12:49:41 AM

Okay, so we've confirmed the TV works (it displays an image) and that your PC's video output is working as well.

You said you don't have another monitor. If so, how did you click "extend desktop onto this monitor"?? ;)  You must have some source that's displaying an image in order for you to see this!

Are you using a Laptop? :) 
Score
January 20, 2011 1:15:47 AM

If you want to display your monitor's image on your TV, select "clone display" instead of "extend" in display properties.
Score
June 7, 2011 1:29:59 PM

Where do you find "clone display" on tv or computer. I have hooked up tv to computer with VGA cables and I get a no signal found message, wondering if there is something on the TV or computer I need to do before it will work.

mavroxur said:
If you want to display your monitor's image on your TV, select "clone display" instead of "extend" in display properties.

Score
June 7, 2011 6:27:07 PM

ghosthuntergirl said:
Where do you find "clone display" on tv or computer. I have hooked up tv to computer with VGA cables and I get a no signal found message, wondering if there is something on the TV or computer I need to do before it will work.

Try looking in the control panel of your graphic cards software.
Score
!