Massive archiving

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 12, 2005 1:55:10 PM

I need to
1. archive 8000 old paper photo in digital format, by scanning them
2. make 4000 of them be available via web.

Do you know of any application that would let me do 1 and 2, even separately ?

Thanks a lot in advance

More about : massive archiving

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:54:39 PM

In article <8dac47cc.0502121055.6b0065cd@posting.google.com>,
bitrippen@yahoo.it (Piero) wrote:

> I need to
> 1. archive 8000 old paper photo in digital format, by scanning them

Easy. 8000 JPEGs of 10MB each is only 80GB. A couple of 120GB or 250GB
drives (one for backup) won't cost much. At least one of the drives
should be an external so it's isolated from any damage that may happen
at your computer. Professional and insured data archival services are
available if the photos are valuable and unreplaceable. If that costs
too much, leave backups with friends.

> 2. make 4000 of them be available via web.

This one is tougher because bandwidth costs money.

A cheap OS X-capable Mac and $60/month for DSL will get you serving up
photos at 608Kbps with no trouble at all. It works great for friends
and family but 608Kbps chokes once the general public starts downloading.
Here's an example:
http://www.pixelmemory.us/

ISP hosting can get you high bandwidth but they charge per GB
transfered. Some colo services will host charities and non-profit
organizations for very low fees.

A photo service like Shutterfly can display low-res photos online and
sell high res prints and high res CDs. Contact their customer support
regarding very large archives.

> Do you know of any application that would let me do 1 and 2, even separately ?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:52:15 PM

On 12 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Piero wrote:

> I need to
> 1. archive 8000 old paper photo in digital format, by scanning them
> 2. make 4000 of them be available via web.
>
> Do you know of any application that would let me do 1 and 2, even
> separately ?

Lots of 'em.

For the first, you might want to get a higher-end scanner which has a
document feed. I would assume that a scanner like that would also come
with software which will let you do batch processing of images. Put in
20 or so at a time, go have a cup of coffee, come back, feed 20 more.

For the second, there are a lot of online photo gallery applications.
One I like is Singapore:

http://singapore.sourceforge.net/

You need to have PHP available on your server to run it, and as of the
last time I checked, it does not use a database to store image
information. You put pictures into directories under the main Singapore
directory, and can add information to it via a web interface.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Thanks everybody,