Sign in with
Your question

Performance gains?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 6:57:04 PM

I just bought the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I also bought the XFX 6850 because I was trying to save some money the board alone was pricey and I also got the Amd 1095t cpu.

I play WoW all the time and I was wondering if this card will be suitable for that game. My system I am on now is a Amd 955 using nvidia 285gtx and it does decent in the game.

Sorry this card was not the 5850 its the 6850..

More about : performance gains

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 7:07:02 PM

A 1090t and a hd5850 will own WoW. ;) 
m
l
January 19, 2011 7:43:06 PM

HostileDonut said:
A 1090t and a hd5850 will own WoW. ;) 

Thank you I didnt want a system that bottle necks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 7:53:25 PM

haha psycho >_< yea a 2500k and p67 would have been better... and WoW likes nvidia gpu's better than ati/amd...

that said his system should still more than sufficient for WoW , so its not all bad for him, just nto the best use o funds
m
l
January 19, 2011 8:59:55 PM

g00fysmiley said:
haha psycho >_< yea a 2500k and p67 would have been better... and WoW likes nvidia gpu's better than ati/amd...

that said his system should still more than sufficient for WoW , so its not all bad for him, just nto the best use o funds

If I am not impressed wit the ati card I got when I play WoW I will ship it back thats no biggy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 9:15:16 PM

Cpujunkie said:
If I am not impressed wit the ati card I got when I play WoW I will ship it back thats no biggy.

Dude, the ati card should destroy WoW at 1080p res. You will have no need to ship it back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 9:17:46 PM

Quote:
Dude you would have paid the same exact money for a processor that destroy's the X6. Send that *** back and get a 2500K/P67 Extreme4

Amd = Crap

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png

Yeah, he should have, but you said AMD = crap. No, I laugh at that. The 1100t beats the 860 i7 in most cases, the 860 i7 is pretty good. AMD normally offers a good product without breaking the bank, but for the same price, a Intel would have been better. BTW, you freakin' own a AMD card. HAHA! :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 9:22:43 PM

Cpujunkie said:
Thank you I didnt want a system that bottle necks

Almost every system will BN. Even the best systems in the world besides super computers. (well, maybe even there :lol: ) I probably have a bottleneck in my system, but it doesn't matter. Say for example your system will run its CPU @ 80% and GPU @ 100%, It just means that the CPU is stronger than the GPU and that the GPU is being stressed all the way to the max. No big deal, if you have a bottleneck it will be very small and it won't matter.
m
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 9:45:56 PM

A GTX 460 1 GB would be cheaper and outperforms the 5850 in WoW except at the 2560 x 1600 resolution. What resolution do you play at ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...

1680 x 1050 Resolution

460's 90 fps beats 5850's 84 fps

1920 x 1080 Resolution

460's 82 fps beats 5850's 76 fps

2560 x 1600 Resolution

585's 64 fps beats 460's 60 fps
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:00:43 PM

Well people love their brands...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 4:39:14 AM

Quote:
Why would you even bring up the 870? 1156 is history. Want a laugh?

2500K - 224.99
1100T - 269.99

1100T wins 1 test

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203

I didn't say that Intel was bad. All I said was that AMD is good. 1156 is NOT old. Yeah, it is not the newest, but not old. It all depends on what you want to do. 6 cores would come in useful now wouldn't it? Yeah, I would have personally gone for the 2500k set up, but hey, maybe he wanted 6 cores. So in the end, it comes down to his wants and needs, not the average persons needs. I like AMD more, you got a problem with it? So don't bash AMD because it is not your favorite. At least AMD plays by the rules.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 4:55:17 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is what he did...

Hmm.. Amd has 6 cores so it must be the faster processor or maybe he's just a fanboy. What he should have did was come on here and ask "Whats the best processor for WoW" and that's the 2500K by a long freakin shot.

Yes, I know. Just because he bought something that is lesser does not mean it is bad though. For example a BMW and a Ferrari are both amazing vehicles, but the Ferrari is better. Does that make the BMW bad? I think not. Same thing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 5:02:02 AM

Quote:
Bad comparison :lol: 

Sandy Bridge = Ferrari 458 Italia
Thuban = Ford Mustang

:lol: 

Ummm, No. Also the AMD has 6 cores, so in some cases it would be a lot better. The x6 series is an OC monster. BMW to Ferrari. It is a fare comparison.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 5:11:18 AM

Yes, I do understand. In no way is AMD bad though, it is just not as strong.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 11:25:57 AM

silky salamandr said:
Well people love their brands...

some people yes... i just was pointing out nvidia cards do better with his specific game of choice, if it had been a title where ati chips do better like avp then i'd have suggested ati/amd

and intel has amd beat on prices atm in most price segments but the very bottm, my wife and i both use amd chips in our pc's but we're about to build her one and it just makes sense to go 2500k or2600k for her atm over a 1090 more efficient and overclocks better :D 

but when i build my next build buldozer will be out so we'll see where the benchmarks qre at and i'll build based on how things are looking at that point
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:44:37 PM

There really won't be much a that gap in performance with Amd and intel. The 1090t clocks to a stable 4.3 ghz on air cooling and I can live with that.

Back to the 6850 my only concerns is that will this card run better then a 285 gtx? I have the XFX 285 gtx black edition I paid a high price for last year and in comparison I want to know will the 6850 out perform that card?

If it does then I will be happy because cost wise its all I could afford at this time.

Sorry folks it was the XfX 6850 I purchased.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 5:05:05 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

6850 is about on par with a gtx 285, a gtx 285 as an nvidiacard will actually play better on WoW than a 6850 due to the architecture of the chip ... so i doubt you'll see a perfformance game... but you should be running ultra on the 285 with ZERO issues, my gts 450 was playing ulta on a 1080p tv just fine at 50-60 fps

and psycho i have read that about BD but what matters is price to performance so whoever ha the top ~250-300 cpu that i deem worth buying round end of the year gets my money :D  with a tip of the hat to whichever runs CAD better

*add*

on the WoW thing i forgot about DX!! the 6850 will make things look better since it has dx11 and performance on wow goes up with dx11 ... also the water and effect look better... the question is do they look the price you paid for the card ebtter for some water and lighting effects to look a little better
m
l
January 20, 2011 5:18:50 PM

I have just upgraded from a 4850 to a 5850 and the 4850 ran WoW in 1080p with graphics on high so much so that it doesn't run much smoother on the 5850 so you will be fine.

AND I only have an Athlon II x3 (unlocked to a phenom II mind)
m
l
January 20, 2011 6:16:17 PM

g00fysmiley said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

6850 is about on par with a gtx 285, a gtx 285 as an nvidiacard will actually play better on WoW than a 6850 due to the architecture of the chip ... so i doubt you'll see a perfformance game... but you should be running ultra on the 285 with ZERO issues, my gts 450 was playing ulta on a 1080p tv just fine at 50-60 fps

and psycho i have read that about BD but what matters is price to performance so whoever ha the top ~250-300 cpu that i deem worth buying round end of the year gets my money :D  with a tip of the hat to whichever runs CAD better

*add*

on the WoW thing i forgot about DX!! the 6850 will make things look better since it has dx11 and performance on wow goes up with dx11 ... also the water and effect look better... the question is do they look the price you paid for the card ebtter for some water and lighting effects to look a little better

Well atm I won't have windows 7 I am going to be using windows xp professional.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 6:20:26 PM

eww... xp pro means no dx11... so really i imagine gtx 285 vs 6850 will be a downgrade in wow... ona apositive note though ... its a more efficient card if that matters to you.. maybe save a quarter or two on your electric bill a month if you use it ALOT

honestly i'd return the 6850 gtx 285 is mroe than enough for wow and will outperform the 6850 ... and you alreaydy have it so no money spent
m
l
January 20, 2011 6:22:05 PM

I know people say go Nvidia and I have been using nvidia cards in the past but i decided to change things up abit and go with the XfX amd 6850 and possibly buy another one later to run them crossfire.

I ordered a decent croffire board the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have talked to some people that have the board and they seem really pleased with it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 6:22:55 PM

^+1 Although I own a hd6850 and I love it for COD BL and BFBC2 and SCII. I don't play WoW though.
m
l
January 20, 2011 6:26:24 PM

g00fysmiley said:
eww... xp pro means no dx11... so really i imagine gtx 285 vs 6850 will be a downgrade in wow... ona apositive note though ... its a more efficient card if that matters to you.. maybe save a quarter or two on your electric bill a month if you use it ALOT

honestly i'd return the 6850 gtx 285 is mroe than enough for wow and will outperform the 6850 ... and you alreaydy have it so no money spent

Well this 285 is staying in this machine because i am giving it to my parents because their computer is going out. Quite possibly the 285 is on its last leg because of blue screens even though i have cleaned it and its well ventilated.

I will just have to take my chances with the 6850 for now pluss this mb I bought does not support Sli only crossfire.

If it runs WoW decent enough I will just later on upgrade to the 6900 series cards when prices drop and then run them crossfire.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 6:33:44 PM

oh gottcha, yea no doubt the 6850 should run wow in ultra with that configuration, but like i said no real improvment over the old card.. throw xfire in the mix though and even though wow scales horribly in sli and crossfire you'll see at least a 50% jump in performance (though you'll get ultra with a 6850 so no real reason to need a 2nd for now if all you play is wow )

my sli gts 450's get~75%... after optimising , started around 60%
m
l
January 20, 2011 8:31:55 PM

One of my main gripes about Nvidia was the card always runs hot I don't like that and I am not going to water cool a single card just to keep temps down .. The main reason I got the 6850 was that it stays cooler then alot nvidia cards how ever I hear the fan noice at 100% can get alittle annoying.

Another thing is the only Windows 7 version I will run is the ultimate and until they drop the price on that I will use windows xp. I ran the RC version when it came out and loved it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 9:03:36 PM

Cpujunkie said:
One of my main gripes about Nvidia was the card always runs hot I don't like that and I am not going to water cool a single card just to keep temps down .. The main reason I got the 6850 was that it stays cooler then alot nvidia cards how ever I hear the fan noice at 100% can get alittle annoying.

Another thing is the only Windows 7 version I will run is the ultimate and until they drop the price on that I will use windows xp. I ran the RC version when it came out and loved it.

Why only Ultimate? It just makes it so it will translate language.
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:51:42 PM

Performance wise the ultimate 64 runs games better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 10:06:48 PM

Cpujunkie said:
Performance wise the ultimate 64 runs games better.

Ooooooo, that is interesting. How so, better FPS?
m
l
January 20, 2011 10:47:25 PM

Better fps and better visual detail. When I ran windows 7 rc in both 32 and 64 I noticed hang ups and slow performance in games. Now note that was the rc version how ever ultimate 64 seemed almost flawless and to tell you the truth I miss using it over my xp.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2011 11:29:34 AM

there really isn't a difference in the actual released versions of windows 7... basically home premium is basic, pro freatures more network/profesisonal tools and xp mode for older software ultimate gets basically only two advantage to speak of over pro, and thats bit locker which is only a bgi deal if you require security, and the afore mentioned langauge packs included

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/defa...

the underlying windows 7 programs are the same, as a gamer really i am good with pro as i needed xp mode for older games, but yea up to you if you want ultimate, just knwo there will be zero difference on modern games between ultimate and home, if you wanna playe some older games go pro for xp mode but unless you need more security or your computer to be able to display in dif languages ultimate is kinda a waste >_<
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:10:01 PM

g00fysmiley said:
there really isn't a difference in the actual released versions of windows 7... basically home premium is basic, pro freatures more network/profesisonal tools and xp mode for older software ultimate gets basically only two advantage to speak of over pro, and thats bit locker which is only a bgi deal if you require security, and the afore mentioned langauge packs included

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/defa...

the underlying windows 7 programs are the same, as a gamer really i am good with pro as i needed xp mode for older games, but yea up to you if you want ultimate, just knwo there will be zero difference on modern games between ultimate and home, if you wanna playe some older games go pro for xp mode but unless you need more security or your computer to be able to display in dif languages ultimate is kinda a waste >_<

Ultimate has better networking I have ran comparison tests just like XP profession has a better networking then XP home.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2011 11:18:19 PM

Cpujunkie said:
Ultimate has better networking I have ran comparison tests just like XP profession has a better networking then XP home.

My dad worked at MS and so does his cousin. His cousin (still works there) says that the only real difference is language. I think I will believe him.
m
l
!