Sign in with
Your question

Properties button in Monitor Type screen inactive

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 7:03:14 PM

Hello,
I have installed a new hard drive. On reboot the screen resolution in 640x480 and 16 bit. The properties button is inactive. How can I get this changed so that I can have a better resolution. I am using the same LG W2242T screen as before the crash and I get a message that the driver loading has been succesful. I am not greatly experienced so laymans language for this geriatric would be appreciated. Cheers. Bob
January 19, 2011 8:20:26 PM

What operating system are you running?

What brand is your computer and what model number?
m
l
January 27, 2011 3:12:18 AM

Pallimud said:
What operating system are you running?

What brand is your computer and what model number?

Hi
Thanks for your interest.

I have Windows XP. As far as the model etc., it is not a proprietory well known brand, like HP or Dell etc., I purchased it new from our local reputable computer dealer, about 6 to 8 years ago. I think 1.7gz and a celeron processor has something to do with it. Sorry I can't be more specific. Hope that points you in the right direction.
Cheers
Bob
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 1:45:25 PM

Most likely you are missing the drivers for your graphics card.

Do you know what graphics card you have? If so, you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
m
l
January 28, 2011 10:34:53 PM

Pallimud said:

Do you know what graphics card you have? If so, you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Funny you should say that. I have been doing a fair bit of reading to try and solve the problem and I have been going down the track you have suggested. The brick wall I come up against is that my machine doesn't have a graphics card. I am told that the motherboard (Intel D845GLLY) has an inbuilt graphics card. Does this sound like I have interpreted my readings correctly? I went down the following path [start. control panel. system. hardware.device mgr. display adaptor. video device.properties. and drivers] and came up with a heap of files, mostly with .dll extensions. From that point I thought, "This is a good question for Pallimud." Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. Cheers. Bob
m
l
January 30, 2011 10:54:34 PM

Pallimud said:

Further to my last, I googled my motherboard details and from that downloaded the graphics card driver onto a stick. From that I transferred what I think was the driver onto the old machine and loaded it. I am over the moon that an old decrepit dinosaur like me now has the computer ticking over beautifully. Thanks to you. I appreciate your time.
Cheers
Bob
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:17:42 AM

Awesome, I'm glad you got it working :) 
m
l
!