Amd Phenom IIx4 955 BE Problems!

shikhar

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,
i use my computer for heavy games and web surfing and entertainment.i am having a problem.i cannot play gta 4 on some places(maps).it just stops responding and there are errors when i install games or softwares.
As in http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306476-28-watt-watt thread i was told to get a better PSU and i got a cooler master 460 watt and its working good.i am still facing the problem of games not running properly and installation errors.i ran a torture test using prime 95 but it did not give me good results
my config is as
Phenom IIx4 955 Black Edition.
Asus M4A78LT-M LE
2x2GB Pietek ddr3 1333mhz RAM
XFX ATI RADEON HD 4670 1GB GDDR3
460 Watt Cooler Master Power Supply Unit.
i wanted to know that if it is a defective processor or is there any other problem.before i had heating and crashing problems but that was solved by the cooler master.now i have this problem.pleassssssseee help me!!..

shikhar

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
1. The Power Supply is Cooler Master 460 watt...i dont exactly know it name.but its cooler master confirmed

2. When i first got my pc,i overclocked it for atleast 1 week (3.6 ghz).At that time my smps was a local one

3. When i do the blend torture test,all the cores stop working and it says "0 tests completed in 0 minutes-1 errors ,0 warnings".....but when i run the "In-place Large FFTs" torture test ,it runs fine.

4. my cpu idles at 44-43 degree celsius and at 100% load it goes upto as high as 65 degree celsius.

5. No..it's not a graphics problem.

shikhar

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
yes i tried a clean os installation.
not now but i did overclocking before..
and when i got my processor open.....it was stuck to the heatsink......i believe that the person who fitted the processor and heatsink used a very very cheap thermal paste and so it got stuck like hell......it was really difficult to remove the processor from heatsink.......and after that i used a good thermal paste....

shikhar

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Windows xp
Yup it is pirated....by "updated" you mean patch?
it is not about gta 4....it is about system stability...it's not satble on 3.2ghz but it is more stable on 800mhz.....error occurs when installing something on 3.2ghz frequency but very less error occurs when installing on 800mhz frequency

Take a look at this

The only C3 PhenomII 955BEs available at retail are 125w.

You might find a 95w OEM *HDX955WFK4DGM* if you look around, but it is highly unlikely you have one in your possession.

If you have any questions regarding an under-volt of your current CPU I'd be more than happy to offer any assistance.

shikhar

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
ok.....now i get it.....there is a 95 watt version but that is not Black Edition.....mine is black edition.....so please help me in undervolting my processor with the right voltage.... :(

Pretty much what Greg said.

Enter the BIOS. I'm not familiar with that Asus model but look for something like the 'Tweaker' menu. Should be a 'CPU Voltage' setting in there.

Change from 'Auto' to 'Manual'. Using the PgUp/PgDn, +/- or the <-> keys you should be able to drop your volts. AMD generally works in 0.0125v increments. Start with -0.025v, press F10 to save, and exit.

Stress and see how she goes.

On an unlocked 550BE I've gone as low as -0.1125v (dropping watts at the wall at load from 180w to 125w). The issue I had was waking the rig from sleep - I think my volts were so low at idle when waking it would simply blue-screen.

It would not surprise me if you got to -0.0875v or lower with no issues at all, and hopefully this will cure your issues.

AMD OverDrive

AMD-Overdrive.jpg

Under 'Performance Control' select 'Clock/Voltage' ease the CPU VID slider down in 0.0125v increments as noted in my above post.