What's the best way for 3.8ghz on PII 955?

Moonfrost

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
As the title suggests, I would like to know what's the best way to overclock my CPU to 3.8ghz, mostly on the voltage side of things...

For starters I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cooling it, I overclocked the CPU to 3.7ghz just upping the multiplier on the bios (MSI 880gm E-41) without changing the voltage (which is grayed out, and it says "auto") and then did a Cinebench cpu test which lasts...like 10 minutes or more, was at 100% and no problems whatsoever.

I then ran a Prime95 torture test (blend test) for about an hour (I know, not too long) and stopped it as I didn't see any issues at all, computer was responsive, no bsod, no errors of any kind and the temps were only about 43c-45c.

I would like to take the cpu that little extra mile but I read that in order for the PII 955 to be able to get to 3.8ghz I would have to up the voltage, now the voltage settings on my bios are grayed out and I would like to know what do I have to change to be able to up the voltage if needed.

Take note that cpu-z says my voltage is 1.425, I have heard the default voltage is supposed to be lower than that for this CPU yet I have NEVER changed anything before today.

Please take note also that I'm kinda of a noob on overclocking so don't bash on me.

I'd like to know if I have to raise my voltage or if that should be fine for 3.8ghz

Thanks in advance.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Hmm, that's weird that your voltage is at 1.425 with no tweaks. But if your mobo set it to that, you might want to try adjusting it manually, as some folks occasionally hit 3.7Ghz on stock (1.35)volts. Did you check what your voltage was at stock multiplier? If not, check that to see if it changes. You should be able to hit 3.8 with 1.425 no problem, probably less.

Moonfrost

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Well, I actually checked before doing any overclocks and cpu-z said it was 1425 (after turning off Cool 'n Quiet,)...I'll try 3.8ghz then and see what happens...thanks for the quick reply by the way!

Moonfrost

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Well my daddy DOES work in NASA, and we're also loaded...when I get my hands on some liquid nitrogen I might just try it! hahahaa...

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I have the same motherboard as you, I've checked and the max CPU TDP for this board is 95w, the PII 955 is a 125w CPU, which means you're already exceeding the board's limit at stock speed, so I wouldn't overclock it at all if I were you.

onpoint

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I have the same setup with a asrock extreme 3 and hyper 212. I'm running mine at 4080 mhz 1.36 volts. multiplier set to 17 .fsb around 208 or so. Can't remember the exact numbers. It will stay in the mid 50's at 100% load. Maybe that will help ,maybe not.

Moonfrost

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks, I already overclocked to 3.8ghz sucessfully and haven't run on any problems, my temps are amazing with this cooler (though I have to add I live in the Souther Hemisphere so we just got into winter a few days ago).

Idle temps are about 27-28c (they were around 23-27c with stock speeds) and on load they are about 35-45c.

Maybe someday I'll try to go to 4ghz but not for now, I would probably need an extra fan just in case.

Moonfrost

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

I've been overclocked to 3.8ghz for some time and have had no problems...I just checked a few days ago that the motherboard only supports up to 95w...that's weird, well...that's what I get for coming back to this country where everything is much more expensive when you actually makes LESS...