Sign in with
Your question

Possibly New Thred

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2012 8:22:03 PM

I am new to this community so I am not sure how quikly one normally gets an answer, so I am reposting my question from Feb 23rd.

Possibly this question should go to an other forum, and if so it would be great if someone was to advise me .

Thanks Rudi
The question:
Doese the HDMI output signal on a computer/Laptop use the Graphics Card processing capability and its memory, or is this signal processed/ utilizes the computer's CPU/main RAM?

More about : possibly thred

a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 8:26:24 PM

if its an onboard card it uses the CPU's if its a pci one usualy it uses its own dedicated memory and cpu
m
l
February 25, 2012 9:22:04 PM

h3sham said:
if its an onboard card it uses the CPU's if its a pci one usualy it uses its own dedicated memory and cpu

Thanks, greatly appriciated.
I am currently using an older, not HDMI equiped, laptop to view TV signals from other countries, using VGA as the output signal to drive the TV. ( TV also has HDMI input)
Now I am in the market for a new laptop, HDMI equipped, and I needed to know if I should buy a machine with lots of RAM and of course good processor power, or if the HDMI signal is delivered via the graphics card and therefore requires a lot of graphics memory/processing power.
Thanks again
Rudi
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 9:42:38 PM

if you are in the market for a laptop get something with an nvidia or AMD graphics card and an i5 and 4GB of ram
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:59:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, agreed, these are the best video cards in my opion as well.

I am new to this forum so I am not sure what I am about to do is OK, as this might belong to an other Thread.

For my next laptop I am looking at these Ultra Notebooks wit SSM instead of a hard drive. I am looking for an i7 processor with ideally 6 GB of RAM.
ASUS has a nice looking device, but I dont like the fact that it has only 4GB of RAM which is being shared with the vieo processor. That is actually what brought about my original question. I have not been able to find a web site/company that has evaluated the new Ultra Notebooks, are you aware of any.
Regards
Rudi
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 9:26:11 PM

well you can always upgrade the ram.......and if you are looking for powerfull ones you can check the vaio,alienwares and XPS and ofc the apples
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 9:26:49 PM

but what it all comes down to is what are planing on using it for?based on that i can tell you exactly which one you can get
m
l
February 26, 2012 10:05:23 PM

I am retired after working for 45 years in the Technology businees, and now I am mainly playing around. Obviously I will be using it for browsing purposes, Emails, spread sheets etc, but I am very intersested in media/ broadcasting ( that was my profession/hoppy) and as I mentioned before I am looking for a Laptop that allows me to view broadcasts from Europe on a TV set via HDMI.
I have tried this with an iPad 2, and an ACER tablet (as they were handy), but the video stream was very sporatic, and there was a lot of picture breakup. My internet connctions is typically 9 Mbps or faster, so I don't think its the internet connection but rather the Tablets processing capabilities.

Regards
Rudi
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 10:11:17 PM

got a budget?
m
l
February 26, 2012 10:15:41 PM

Not sure what you are getting at? sorry
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 10:16:34 PM

is there a limit on how much you are willing to pay for it?
m
l
February 26, 2012 10:21:11 PM

Oops I just noticed your computer specs.
Not sure if 12 GB of RAM do much for you, I have that on my Dell PC but it isn't any faster than some others we have in the house. Windows Ultimate is good for a company , for cetralized management, but I don't see the advantage for home use.
Regards Rudi
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 10:28:35 PM

mostly all i do with computer is gaming ,watching movies and rarely some graphics work so 12 is pretty much all i need planing on making them 16 soon tho,as for windows ultimate i had to pick between it and professional so i chose it.....i dun like home premium or the lower ones cuz they have a memory limit of 16GB and i like to keep my options open not narrowed cuz of an os bottleneck
m
l
February 26, 2012 10:59:59 PM

Thanks for your help, and now I understand why you are maxing out on your specs.
Regads
Rudi
m
l
March 7, 2012 11:34:51 PM

RudiL100 said:
Thanks, greatly appriciated.
I am currently using an older, not HDMI equiped, laptop to view TV signals from other countries, using VGA as the output signal to drive the TV. ( TV also has HDMI input)
Now I am in the market for a new laptop, HDMI equipped, and I needed to know if I should buy a machine with lots of RAM and of course good processor power, or if the HDMI signal is delivered via the graphics card and therefore requires a lot of graphics memory/processing power.
Thanks again
Rudi

I would like to close this thread and assign a Best Answer, but I am unable to find a Best Answer Icon or Field. So how is this done?
m
l
!