Sign in with
Your question

Picking a case, please not another black box

Last response: in Components
June 24, 2011 6:40:41 AM

I need help picking out a case.

My mobo is ATX
Only need 2 x 5.25" drives, as many 3.5" and 2.5" as it comes with.

I would like it to be relatively quiet, and have decent airflow/fans,
as well as not being excessively large (use your own judgement).

Please, not another black box. I'd like my case to be mildy visually interesting,
and not because I have pretty LEDs in it. Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
is okay, because it has some architectural design to it.

I'm open to colors, shapes, etc.

More about : picking case black box

a c 144 ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 9:22:29 AM

White Corsair 600T.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2011 2:36:34 PM

Take a walk on the wild side

I have yet to dip my toe in this water but I've got a few ideas -- none that really involve a great deal of lighting (think H2O). My understanding is that pics don't really do acrylic cases justice as lighting effects are normally seen in person as much more subtle if done correctly. Everyone seems to warn: watch your finger prints and be careful not to scratch anything.

I'm not quite ready to put a render farm on the wall ...

:lol: 

but with a little imagination and handy work you can build something really special ...

m
l
June 24, 2011 8:33:42 PM

You know, Henry Ford once said something that is quite applicable here.
"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

He did this cause black paint was the quickest to dry and it also reduced production costs because he only needed one colour of paint, black.

How is this applicable to your question? You decide...

m
l
June 24, 2011 8:38:30 PM

I didn't down a budget because I'm pretty open to anything, though I will most likely go with a case under $150.

The black case I picked to link was an example of the closest I would be willing to get to a black box.

I like that third one you posted mrmotion
Very pretty. I like the black version as well.

Also, wisecracker, that stained glass case is awesome.
m
l
June 26, 2011 11:08:03 PM

jacksrequiem said:
I didn't down a budget because I'm pretty open to anything, though I will most likely go with a case under $150.

The black case I picked to link was an example of the closest I would be willing to get to a black box.

I like that third one you posted mrmotion
Very pretty. I like the black version as well.

Also, wisecracker, that stained glass case is awesome.

Yup -- stained glass would be classy & great, but I'll betcha a nickel it's an applique like this

They goof around experimenting in their fav graphics program ...

And it's off to the local hobby shop for the kit(s) -- $25-$30 should cover it (and the side of that acrylic case in whatever design floats yer boat - LOL)

They make kits with the fake 'lead came' -- use an edge detect effect on an image as a base outline and start experimenting with your layout. Depending upon your horn dawg level you could start with an ATI Ruby conversion ...

Once you determine your design edge layout and colors, you could even print it out and tape it to the inside of the acrylic as a template

[:jaydeejohn:5]

m
l
!