Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to have an external processor for a laptop

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2011 9:51:58 AM

I do a lot of film making, motion graphics, and music recording on my laptop, so as you can imagine, it doesn't process at the greatest speed. I'm wondering if, instead of building a really expensive desktop, there was some way to set up an external processing unit (second to the unit already in my laptop) to handle all of the high intensity processing while at home, but something that the computer could also run independently of. Like an external hard drive, except for processing, not storage.

And if such a thing were possible, what would be a rough amount to expect to pay to make it happen?
January 21, 2012 4:20:37 AM

sims685 said:
I do a lot of film making, motion graphics, and music recording on my laptop, so as you can imagine, it doesn't process at the greatest speed. I'm wondering if, instead of building a really expensive desktop, there was some way to set up an external processing unit (second to the unit already in my laptop) to handle all of the high intensity processing while at home, but something that the computer could also run independently of. Like an external hard drive, except for processing, not storage.

And if such a thing were possible, what would be a rough amount to expect to pay to make it happen?

Not sure sure about processors, external graphics however do exist, what ive seen of them is that they are expensive.(375$) Uprgrade ram first, and depending on your operating system (esp if vista) consider changing your os to linux ubuntu. its free free and less resource consuming. Additionally, using an external hardrive to save your files is recomended, the less space on your hdd the faster overall performance in many cases.
July 8, 2012 5:09:07 AM

nVidia has been making external processors for years now.
They are compatible with CUDA applications such as Adobe Suit.
Related resources
a c 184 à CPUs
July 8, 2012 5:10:39 AM

MSI GUS II looks awesome :) 

I'm just not sure if thunderbolt will be super reliable :p 
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2012 5:17:04 AM

sims685 said:

For the stuff u've mentioned, you need more cores....which more or less translates into a i7 based laptop....which is pretty expensive.
If u ask me, build a relatively cheap desktop around a AMD FX 8120; 8 slow cores, but it can really slice through highly threaded workloads with great ease.....performance will be in between the i5 2500 and the i7 2600 for ur above mentioned workloads, on rare occasions it may even beat the i7 !!

PS:- If u can wait till november, get the Piledriver based FX 8350, it promises to be atleast 20% faster than the FX 8150 :D 
!