Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop GPU in Desktop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2011 9:36:41 PM

Hey guys, have a strange question for you.
Is it possible to put a laptop GPU into a desktop?
I had a pretty good laptop with a GTX8800 card (since it was custom built I can easily remove the card) and now have a new desktop with a malfunctioning GPU (Radeon 6950) so I thought, why not put the 8800 into the desktop? Now obviously, all sorts of bells go off so I wanted to find out if there's a chance of breaking my MoBo or smth of similar severity if I was to proceed.
In case it matters, my case is a CoolerMaster HAF X and the MoBo is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro
(Google gave me nothing useful...)

More about : laptop gpu desktop

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 9:56:29 PM

Do u have a pic of the card? I am very skeptical but what does it look like connections-wise?
m
l
January 19, 2011 10:12:22 PM

The old Intel GMA950 was the same chip in the desktop as the laptops, but there isn't a laptop that doesn't have a chip integrated to the mobo. Now with that said, I've never heard of the laptop setup you are mentioning, I want more details about that. How would the GPU get it's power? Did your laptop have power cables running around under the hood? This all sounds too crazy.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 1:03:39 AM

Actually nvm, I realized it has no outputs :p 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 1:14:04 AM

Survey says....NO

Laptop graphics cards are never standard PCIe form factor. They're always a custom card of some sort. Normally all connections to the card (video, power, data, etc) are non standard.
January 20, 2011 2:02:31 AM

Best answer selected by _RoRo_.
m
l
!