CPU to supply GTX 470 and GTX 260(Phsx)

What affordable CPU is recommended manage this setup to avoid bottle necking?
15 answers Last reply
More about supply phsx
  1. You want an Intel or an AMD system? Sweat spot for gaming at the moment is I5 2500K
  2. You could probably sell both cards individually to folks who are looking to pick up a 2nd one for SLI rigs, and simply buy a 6950 or GTX570; as an added benefit, you will then also not need a 750-850 watt PSU to run it.
  3. mdd1963 said:
    You could probably sell both cards individually to folks who are looking to pick up a 2nd one for SLI rigs, and simply buy a 6950 or GTX570; as an added benefit, you will then also not need a 750-850 watt PSU to run it.

So will a 570 cope well on its own? The thing is i am becoming more out of touch as the tech train steams on at rediculous pace. When i bought my PC in 2009 i thought it would hold out for a little while longer than this (or at least the CPU socket type (775)) i was hoping not to go into a complete overhall of my machine (cos of money) I only use the GTX 260 (for Physx) cos it's my old card and i didn't wanna waste it. Plus i bought the GTX 470 cos i thought it was a good price friendly, yet still powerful bit of kit.

I would like to keep what i've got if i can but if i have to buy again i really can't be spending much more than a couple hundred. I already need to buy a bigger case and liquid cpu cooling.
  4. rolli59 said:
    You want an Intel or an AMD system? Sweat spot for gaming at the moment is I5 2500K

Always been intel. :-) (current socket is 775) (Asus P5N-D, old now, i know)
  5. Here's what i have currently.
    Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8200 (4 X 2.33GHz) 1333MHz FSB/4MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® P5N-D: DDR2, SATAII, 2 x PCI-e x16, 2 PCI, 2 x PCI-e x1
    Memory (RAM)
    4GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - (2x2GB)
    Graphics Card
    1280MB GTX 470 PCI Express
    2nd Graphics Card
    896MB GEFORCE GTX260 PCI Express + DVI
    Power Supply
    800W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (THIS JUST DIED RECENTLY)
    Processor Cooling
    SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (NOW WANT LIQUID COOL)
    EFX 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO
    ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
  6. Upgrading from that i would go with a I5 2500K and Z68 board.
  7. Quote:
    What's wrong with your current setup? Your current CPU should be able to handle those cards just fine and can be overclocked to 3.4/3.6ghz quite easily: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586754

This is what i had thought (and hoped) but i originally set up another thread querying adequate power supply for the two cards and the first reply i got was something like "I'd worry more about your processor than your PSU... have you heard of "bottle necking". Helpful eh?

The poster never got back with a more constructive reply so i thought i'd set this thread as well to get an answer. My only issue with your idea is i am a noob when it comes to overclocking. i'm more of a dabbler than an pro. I am hoping to get liquid cooling which will be a great time to experiment but i don't wanna blow anything up.

Thanks for being more supportive and reasonable than the other guy though.

Do you think i can safely overclock my CPU on this motherboard then (Asus P5N-D)?

Thanks again.
  8. If you can get the Q8200 past 3GHz you will be fine! That board should work fine for overclock.
  9. rolli59 said:
    If you can get the Q8200 past 3GHz you will be fine! That board should work fine for overclock.

cool. i'll give it a whizz. Where's the best place to get some good non-pretentious, one to one advice for OCing my rig. Like i say i don't know shizzle! I don't have anyone local.

Promise i won't ask any more questions lol :D
  10. Don't hesitate to ask here are some guides and plenty of other ones on the web! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html
  11. Cheers rolli, if i'm successful i'll post to guide others.
  12. CannonFoddered said:
    This is what i had thought (and hoped) but i originally set up another thread querying adequate power supply for the two cards and the first reply i got was something like "I'd worry more about your processor than your PSU... have you heard of "bottle necking". Helpful eh?

The poster never got back with a more constructive reply so i thought i'd set this thread as well to get an answer. My only issue with your idea is i am a noob when it comes to overclocking. i'm more of a dabbler than an pro. I am hoping to get liquid cooling which will be a great time to experiment but i don't wanna blow anything up.

Thanks for being more supportive and reasonable than the other guy though.

Do you think i can safely overclock my CPU on this motherboard then (Asus P5N-D)?

Thanks again.

Hmm, sorry, I'm not around as much as other folks and tend to forget where I've been when I am.
    The Q8200 is not a good overclocker, takes some work to get a stable 3.0, if the chip can do it and the clocker has some skills.
    And then it will still choke a 470, 3.4 - 3.6 would be better.
    I really don't think I was unreasonable.
  13. I had actually seen this somewhere before about the difficulty of the Q8200 of reaching 3GHz stable unlike the dual core E8xxx chips.
  14. delluser1 said:
    Hmm, sorry, I'm not around as much as other folks and tend to forget where I've been when I am.
    The Q8200 is not a good overclocker, takes some work to get a stable 3.0, if the chip can do it and the clocker has some skills.
    And then it will still choke a 470, 3.4 - 3.6 would be better.
    I really don't think I was unreasonable.

Cheers; don't worry, i'm just pissed cos my PC's fudged and its a) Not that old, b) Gonna cost me more money and c) i guess i just want a pro to fix it for me properly rather than me slapdash it together.

I am trying to stretch my equipment as far as poss. I'm gonna try and overclock the Q8200. If it fails miserably i'm gonna have to get a new MoBo and CPU. Either way i still need a PSU.

Sorry for B**chin' mate.
  15. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic or XFX 750-850 watts!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gtx Product