Sign in with
Your question

CPU temperature error (100C)

Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2011 1:47:28 PM

CPU: i7 920
Cooler: (the one that was in the box with i7 920)
Box: An old one with 3 fans
Motherboard: Asus rampage II GENE
Graphics Card: ATI HD4870

Ok look what is the problem. I have 100C temperature when I am playing Call of duty Black ops or when I am on photoshop. I found out that I have enabled a function of my motherboard and when my cpu temperature is too high it reduces the Ghz and Frequencys. I also found out that when I run Black Ops I have 0.6 Ghz per core.

I have checked all the cables, the air flows correctly and I have updated tha bios.

How can I fix it??????

Thank you ;) 
June 24, 2011 1:58:56 PM

download core temp and see what it reads. I know the 920 runs hot. If indeed it is running hot like 80C or above, go into bios and disable the setting that limits the cpu fan rpm, usually called something like smart fan control, usually in the bit where the cpu temp is.

Also you may want to buy some decent thermal paste such as AS5 or mx2.

You could also have put the heatsink on wrong or incorrectly, not fastened in certain places.

And if you still are getting high temps, get a new cooler. I had to with this CPU, was running way hot. I ended up getting corsair h50 watercooler. Brought it down significantly and allowed room for oc.

+ I issume by box you mean case, you can also get a decent case with good airflow, I got the HAF X, its one of the best for air cooling

hope this helps
June 24, 2011 2:11:06 PM

If i disable the smart fan control is there any possibility that my CPU will be damaged or over-heated?

I download core temp and when I dont do anything the each core has aproximetly 85C and when I am in game 100C.
Would you advise me to buy a new cooler or a new case?

Thank you :D 
Related resources
June 24, 2011 2:15:09 PM

You should definitely try cleaning your interior and reapplying the thermal paste under your CPU's heat sink, only if you are experienced with these things. You must have thermal paste ready in order to even think about doing this.
June 24, 2011 2:44:16 PM

dam that hot. turning smart fan control will not damage anything, it simply runs the fan at 100% rpm aiding cooling effects. You defo should clean your system and do what i mentioned in my previous post.

You should not even try to run any games at that temp, you will end up damaging the cpu.

Personally i would advise buying a new cooler and putting some new as5 paste on when installing. This for sure will bring your temps to where you want them.

That temp is dangerous
!