Sign in with
Your question

RAM with XMP!! To keep or not to keep?

Last response: in Memory
February 26, 2012 9:31:00 AM

I made an impulsive purchase on this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went to my local computer store having no interest in purchasing RAM, but it was on a one day sell and I could not resist the urge to make this purchase.

Fortunately, the purchase price (after mail-in rebate) was $59.99 and I have 15 days to return this item.

Sine this was a inattentive purchase, I did not realize, nor did I have prior knowledge, that this RAM is equipped with XMP.

Kingston HyperX Genesis + 16GB + $59.99 = Orgasm.

My questions is should I return this RAM and purchase RAM without XMP? Or would I be able to manually set (disable XMP?) the settings when I overclock my CPU and STILL obtain the same results COMPARED to non-XMP memory? Will I notice any difference compared to non-XMP memory?

SETUP:
i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Corsair TX750 V2

Opinions would help. And suggestions on what I should replace this RAM with, if needed, would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to add that if there is better RAM I can purchase that is significantly better than this RAM (under $100), I would like to know the recommendations.

More about : ram xmp

a b } Memory
February 26, 2012 9:36:47 AM

XMP is usualy set to auto unless you change it your self and pick a different profile
February 26, 2012 9:39:24 AM

So am I able to disable XMP and still set able to set frequencies and timings completely to my liking? Or am I stuck picking set profiles?

On the Newegg listing, Intel claims I can manually set all these. Still haven't tested the RAM myself because I'd rather not "risk" screwing something up.
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 26, 2012 9:42:31 AM

you still can manualy set everything up to your liking....the point of xmp is to help noobs with OCing since they could set the wrong timers ,so the set profiles help avoid that
February 26, 2012 9:44:43 AM

Thanks h3sham. One more question though.

Would you recommend this RAM for the price? I've done the research myself and have a few other sets of 8GBs of RAM lined up, but other peoples' input, makes me feel better! HAHA :lol: 
a b } Memory
February 26, 2012 9:52:46 AM

yup excellent price although i would recommend lower voltage tho,less heat and better performance when overclocking and using tight timings
a c 346 } Memory
February 26, 2012 12:59:22 PM

On LGA 1155 use 1.50v or lower RAM and not 1.65v; it has been recommended by Intel that the 1.65v RAM can cause damage to your Sandy Bridge CPU. The reason the RAM is so inexpensive is because the vast majority of folks are migrating to the 1.50v DIMM RAM.

As far as XMP, sure with (1) kit XMP works fine.

Recommended RAM in 16GB kits - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I included the CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 because it's good and cheap, but it is DDR3-1333. However, there's little to no difference in performance; see -> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-...
February 27, 2012 5:08:52 AM

jaquith said:
it has been recommended by Intel that the 1.65v RAM can cause damage to your Sandy Bridge CPU.

Is there proof of this? I looked on the intel website and found nothing.

I have read that using RAM with 1.65v should be perfectly fine.
February 27, 2012 11:58:59 AM

All evidence to date shows its safe to use 1.65v ram on SB and SB-E.
The fact that Intel Allows 1.65v into the XMP specification is plenty enough proof of this. But they take the easy way out by saying it "might cause problems" because its technically overclocking over their standard voltage.
Intel's recommendation is for 1.5v but no where do they state that it is unsafe or will damage the memory controller at 1.65v.
Having read a lot of articles and seem many of the overclocking clubs results for SB and SB-E on varies forums, no one else in everyday usage has suffered any negative effects from 1.65v ram.
Either way each to their own, some will still disagree with me, some won't in the end only time will tell the answer to that one.

But if you don't want to use 1.65v most XMP ram when clocked to slightly lower speeds (down one or two speed settings) will happily run at 1.5v
March 4, 2012 7:46:50 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
All evidence to date shows its safe to use 1.65v ram on SB and SB-E.

I found this on their website:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-029913.ht...

Maybe Intel has not made their research or evidence public, but I have to say you statement is false. It might be most evidence, but not all. It does say recommended voltage is 1.5v +/- 5%. It specifically states that "Anything more than this voltage can damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span".

I am running an i7 and this is more than enough for me to stick with RAM with voltage of 1.5v +/- 5% and for me to definitely tell anyone to stay away from RAM that is anything more than 5% of 1.5v.
a c 346 } Memory
March 4, 2012 12:02:06 PM

supermade said:
I found this on their website:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-029913.ht...

Bingo!

The SB and SB-E have radically different IMC's and the SB-E can run 1.65v RAM.

The limits are set by the toleration of the VTT and VCCSA in relation to the DRAM voltage. Both the VTT and VCCSA should never exceed 1.20v (max), there are documented cases using 1.30v~1.35v VTT and VCCSA permanently damaged the both the SB and SB-E by degrading their OC by 2~3 bins (-0.2GHz~-0.3GHz), and ditto with >1.45v vCores. Again, similar documented cases with 1.5Xv vCore with a loss of 2~3 bins (-0.2GHz~-0.3GHz). In HOURS not days.

Therefore, it's your CPU SB or SB-E destroy it as you please - I don't care and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to prove anything. Google is you friend, take your time and read.
!